HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Can someone recommend a g...

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:05 PM

Can someone recommend a good history (book) of all religions ?

Are there textbooks, history books, or other comprehensive books which describe and explore the history of the world's major religions?

I would like to study the histories of all major religions known now to mankind. I would like to know the origins of Buddhism and Hindu thinking as well as that of Jewish and Christian faiths.

Is there a reliable compilation of this available in one or two volumes written for the common person?

If so, please let me know of one or a few of them.

If not, maybe a way of reviewing such a wide history in a reasonably digestible fashion, perhaps an on-line course, or syllabus listing which covers more than Abrahamic religions.

I see that many here are more well-versed in Abrahamic religions than I am, notably the non-believers, who seem to have done much comparative study.

5 replies, 724 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Can someone recommend a good history (book) of all religions ? (Original post)
JKingman Nov 2012 OP
Drale Nov 2012 #1
JKingman Nov 2012 #2
riverwalker Nov 2012 #3
JKingman Nov 2012 #5
struggle4progress Nov 2012 #4

Response to JKingman (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:08 PM

1. The first thing I would recommend is the read

the different religions holy books, they will open your eyes and really show you are stupid fundies are and how they pick and choose specific passages to explain their insane views.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:19 PM

2. Thanks, but I have read in several religions' "holy books" or

major philosophical and belief systems. I know (minimally) how any one differs from the others.

I'm looking for more about the people who developed these systems, where exactly they were, what they were facing, how long it took before their belief systems were set down in print. For example, of course, many of these people lived close to water, an ocean or major river transport system for trade and exploration. Thus, many of them have some sort of flood story, even though these religions were developed 3-10-15 thousand miles apart on the surface of the Earth. Some of these flood stories were developed a thousand years or more before the others, I hear, but I would like to see a book that shows us the dates, times, and places and conditions around when each religion was developing.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:24 PM

3. Huston Smith

"The Worlds Relgions".

Karen Armstrong "A History of God" covers the Abrahamic.

Reply to this post

Response to riverwalker (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 05:44 PM

5. Thanks!

Much~!

Browsing reviews and ordering.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 04:38 PM

4. You could try Eliade's From Primitives to Zen