HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Freedom From Religion Fou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:04 AM

Freedom From Religion Foundation says secular Americans fastest growing group

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2012/nov/18/freedom-religion-foundation/secular-americans-fastest-growing-demographic-athe/

In terms of religious identification, are "secular" people the fastest-growing segment of American society?

That’s the argument made by the Madison-based Freedom From Religion Foundation, a national group that includes atheists, agnostics and "skeptics."

As we often say at PolitiFact, words matter. And as we’ll see, terms such as secular and non-religious are key in evaluating this claim.

With an "action alert" sent Nov. 9, 2012, the Freedom From Religion Foundation asked its members to call on President Barack Obama not to utter "so help me God" when he takes the presidential oath for the second time.

more at link

4 replies, 681 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Freedom From Religion Foundation says secular Americans fastest growing group (Original post)
cbayer Nov 2012 OP
longship Nov 2012 #1
cbayer Nov 2012 #2
trotsky Nov 2012 #3
longship Nov 2012 #4

Response to cbayer (Original post)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:25 PM

1. He will say it, and Roberts will prompt it.

In spite of the fact that the US Constitution explicitly prescribes the oath and contains no "so help me <anything>".

I find this to be a very egregious violation, not of the First Amendment, but of Article VI which says:

...but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public trust under the United States.

This under God thing is tantamount to just such a religious test. It is also against the First Amendment as well, of course.

If you think this is harmless, what would you do if you were a non-believing president-elect and the chief justice prompts "so help me God"?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to longship (Reply #1)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 01:49 PM

2. Agree, he is going to say it.

There is not yet enough support to take this out.

In situations when a non-believer has objected to this term, like in court, they often offer alternatives. I can see a day where it becomes optional, but to expect Obama, who is a self-described believer, to do it is not reasonable.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:05 PM

3. On the contrary, it's perfectly reasonable.

And respectful of ALL religious groups. Ours is a secular government, and our Constitution explicitly forbids religious tests for office.

The reason this won't happen is because Christians on the right (and left) would have a grand hissy fit. It's political suicide, because Christians regardless of party affiliation or political orientation hold the false belief that the US is a "Christian nation."

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #2)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 02:06 PM

4. Why don't they just stick to the constitution?

The oath is there, word-for-word. No so help me God in it.

I'd like to know when this started. What's the history of this? Is this another one of those cold war things like putting "In God we trust" on all our money, and "under God" in the pledge?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread