HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » I feel so ashamed of the ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:14 PM

I feel so ashamed of the hatred I have carried in my heart for Mormons.

Last night while looking for something entirely different, I stumbled on the blog of the advocacy group Mormons for Marriage, an organization of progressive, LGBT-positive Mormons who are striving to build and mobilize Mormon support for LGBT equality and for equal marriage. The blog plays host to an It Gets Better video entitled 'It Gets Better at Brigham Young University', a video in which LGBT Mormon youth discuss the struggles they are overcoming, both as Mormons and as LGBT persons. One of the things that brought tears to my eyes was the judgment and the lack of acceptance from conservative forces within their community (admittedly still a dwindling majority). In hearing that, I realize that the hatred I've borne and the angry things I've said about Mormons will only increase their hardship at a time that is so tumultuous for them, for their communities, and for us all. What right do I have to reject and judge these people because they are Mormons if I am also going to judge their church and its more reactionary members for doing the same thing to them because they are gay? As a left-leaning, heterosexual atheist in a relatively progressive community, I cannot begin to understand their suffering, their pain, and their rejection. As their coreligionists must struggle in their hearts for the strength and the moral courage needed to accept them for who they are, so too must I do the same. Moreover, I must find the strength and the moral courage to not make assumptions about the intentions or the ethical stance of a person simply because of a sectarian label. It is not my place to judge; it is my place to make things better where I can, and to stay the fuck out of the way and do no harm when I cannot.

Anyways, here's the video:

&feature=player_embedded

10 replies, 1154 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply I feel so ashamed of the hatred I have carried in my heart for Mormons. (Original post)
leftlibdem420 Nov 2012 OP
cbayer Nov 2012 #1
Downwinder Nov 2012 #2
leftlibdem420 Nov 2012 #3
Thekaspervote Nov 2012 #4
digonswine Nov 2012 #5
leftlibdem420 Nov 2012 #6
dimbear Nov 2012 #7
hrmjustin Nov 2012 #8
cleanhippie Nov 2012 #9
Bradical79 Nov 2012 #10

Response to leftlibdem420 (Original post)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:32 PM

1. You might also enjoy the pieces written by Mormon Girl.

She posts on Religion Dispatches and is very progressive.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:34 PM

2. Don't judge all LDS by Mitt.

Reply to this post

Response to Downwinder (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 04:47 PM

3. It played a part

But I've had issues that predate my knowing about the Grand Willard of the GOP.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:26 PM

4. You don't have to judge them!!!..... But read about the following

It's a free country, they can believe what they want, but the laws here in the US pertain to them as well!

Read: about the massacre in a western valley as they they made their way to Utah that was ordered by their leader after a split in their group

Read about how they treated and still treat the people of nauvoo that are not Morgan. Better yet , go to nauvoo and see how they are still covering their tracks.

Read about the high suicide rate, especially in young males

Don't judge them just spread the truth

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 05:52 PM

5. And not to forget-

Forcing young girls to marry disgusting aged perverts. Brainwashing young women to fear not bowing to male authority. The scummy harems of the past, and some of the present. ETC

Reply to this post

Response to Thekaspervote (Reply #4)

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:12 PM

6. I still hold the LDS church incredibly low esteem...

But that's an entirely different emotion than feeling hatred for Mormons.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:21 PM

7. Don't think of it as hatred. Think of it as tough love. Mormons just need to

break through into reality. Most of them are good folks. Once they start thinking for themselves, new horizons open up.

Plenty of support groups for them, too.

I'm personally proud of the licking they took for putting over Proposition Hate. They got a definite burn on that, and they felt it.
You know we're winning when they deny that they're responsible.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:58 PM

8. It is a shame that Mitt turned off so many people to the Mormons.

I don't agree with their theology, but they are an interesting denomination.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 10:17 PM

9. With the exceptions of the ones that bother me at home...

the several Mormon families I have known and stayed with are wonderful, loving people.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 12:29 AM

10. I half agree...

On one hand, if I hated every individual who was a part of a church that took a negative stance towards something good like gay marriage, evolutionary science (or science in general), or taught something that clearly was not true, I'd be so red with rage at all times that I likely wouldn't survive the year.

On the other hand, if someone attends a church like the Mormon church, and gives them financial support through donations/tithing, then how is that different than giving money to an anti-homosexual group like the Family Research council? Didn't the Mormon Church spend a lot of money on anti-homosexual political activity? Similar to the Catholic Church, I thought the Mormons have a pretty clear cut top down structure, with their prophets filling that Pope like role. You can despise an organization without hating the members on an individual level, though they might not see it that way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread