HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Greydon Square Is the Ath...

Wed Nov 14, 2012, 02:24 PM

Greydon Square Is the Atheist Rapper

By Rebecca Haithcoat
Wed., Nov. 14 2012 at 3:00 AM

Midway through an interview with Greydon Square, I sneeze. "Bless you," the 31-year-old rapper born Eddie Collins says instinctively. He catches himself. "I know, an atheist that says, 'Bless you.' Habits, man."

Greydon Square is the atheist rapper. In hip-hop, a genre in which where rappers thank God on albums full of songs calling women hoes and bragging about their big guns, he is an anomaly. (See: 50 Cent's "Gotta Make It to Heaven," which includes the lyric, "You send a bitch at me I send the bitch back cut up.")

"Why are black people 85 percent Christian? We've been programmed to see certain things," he says.

Square, who today is 6'4" and dressed in jeans and Clippers gear, sits with his back to the street on a bench outside Syrup Desserts. A police siren squeals, pounding techno music blares from a parked car nearby and trucks barrel through downtown's cramped streets honking. Skateboarders whiz by and a steady stream of people stroll past walking dogs.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/11/greydon_square_atheist_rapper.php

0 replies, 338 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread