HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Australian Prime Minister...

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 AM

Australian Prime Minister creates commission to investigate child abuse in Catholic Church.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has created a national royal commission that will investigate institutional responses to sex abuse against children in the Catholic Church.
There has been a steady increase in requests for a national inquiry after the New South Wales police determined that the church was covering up evidence of child sexual abuse by priests.

Gillard stated that the commission would be investigating all religious organizations, as well as state child care providers and the responses of state child service agencies and law enforcement.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard stated that the abuse is insidious and evil, and had acknowledged that many children have suffered abuse by those they tristed, and adults who were able to render assistance had failed to do so.

She had also stated her intent to speak to victim's groups, as well as community organizations and religious leaders.

http://www.goddiscussion.com/103836/australian-prime-minister-creates-commission-to-investigate-child-abuse-in-catholic-church/

If President Obama were to do this (as he should, IMO), the religious noise machine would explode, while the moderate believers stood idly by and watched the fallout.

12 replies, 1087 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Australian Prime Minister creates commission to investigate child abuse in Catholic Church. (Original post)
cleanhippie Nov 2012 OP
mr blur Nov 2012 #1
dimbear Nov 2012 #2
rug Nov 2012 #3
JKingman Nov 2012 #4
rug Nov 2012 #5
JKingman Nov 2012 #6
rug Nov 2012 #7
JKingman Nov 2012 #8
rug Nov 2012 #9
JKingman Nov 2012 #10
rug Nov 2012 #11
uriel1972 Nov 2012 #12

Response to cleanhippie (Original post)

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 11:57 AM

1. Those damned atheists again! Always interfering in holy business.

They're not all perfect, you know! Some of them are even unpleasant.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 08:11 PM

2. Hm. Brave woman stands up the to wealth and power and majesty of the RCC.

That woman is an atheist. Mark it down in the big book of coincidences. If there's still space.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 13, 2012, 08:32 PM

3. How exactly would Obama establish a commission?

Do you understand the difference between the U.S. Government and the Australian Government?

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #3)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:27 AM

4. Just what I found in a simple Google search in answer:

In the United States, a Presidential Commission is a special task force ordained by the President to complete some special research or investigation. They are often used politically in one of two ways: either to draw attention to a problem (the publication of a report by a commission can generally be counted on to draw attention from the media, depending on how its release is handled); or, on the other hand, to delay action on an issue (if the President wants to avoid taking action but still look concerned about an issue, he can convene a commission and then let it slip into obscurity). However, there have been cases (the Tower, Rogers and Warren Commissions) where the commission has created reports that have been used as evidence in later criminal proceedings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Commission_(United_States)

Reply to this post

Response to JKingman (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 09:56 AM

5. Welcome to DU.

That list of Presidential Commissions investigated direct governmental issue, such as Iran-Contra, the Challenger explosion and a presidential assassination. There is no comparable subject matter here, unlike in Australia where these religious schools are intertwined with the government. If anything, the federal government can initiate a federal grand jury to determine if these incidents occurred over state lines or through the use of federally regulated communication devices. If they were going to do that it would have already happened by now.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #5)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:18 AM

6. I don't think you looked at the list which included

President's Committee on Civil Rights (1946)

Presidential Commission on the Status of Women (1961)

President's Commission on Campus Unrest (1970)

President's Commission on Olympic Sports (1975)

President's Commission on Mental Health (1977)

Presidential Commission on World Hunger (1978)

President's Commission on the Coal Industry (1978)

President's Commission on Organized Crime (1986)

National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling (2010)

As far as I know, those commissions did NOT investigate simply "direct governmental issues". They investigated a national problem which might call for more governmental response.

After reading voter-influence abuses engaged in by the the RCC, even just concerning this year's past election, perhaps a commission should have a broader outlook, to include possible incidents of the RCC attempting to engage in partisan political activity as well as any possible abuse of minor American children.

Thanks for the welcome!

Reply to this post

Response to JKingman (Reply #6)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:27 AM

7. They all have an inherent federal interest.

As to the difference in subject matter between the Royal Australian Commission and a U.S. Presidential Commission, read this.

http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/event/article/id/34911/group/homepage/

In particular, this:

''The Australian taxpayer invests a lot in the education of young people in both private and public schools.

''It's only fair that all schools that receive substantial funding from the public conform to the community's expectation of not only what is taught but how it's taught and by whom. Many private schools say they're not exclusive, yet there is nothing more exclusive than refusing to teach, or employ, a certain group of citizens.''

If the federal government were to do anything, it would be to convene a federal grand jury, not a presidential commission.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #7)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

8. There is an "inherent federal interest" in

keeping children safe from risks of molestation.

There is also an "inherent federal interest" in keeping elections free from the massive influence of huge rich tax exempt religious institutions such as the RCC.

I see more than a single reason for such a commission now, just as the federal government saw a reason to investigate organized crime, the status of women, and civil rights in the past..

Reply to this post

Response to JKingman (Reply #8)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:06 PM

9. That's what Title 18 of the U.S.Code is for.

The OP is about an Australian commission on child abuse, not elections.

Throw a buck to the FFRF for their lawsuit against the IRS over tax exempt status. It will probably be more effective than waiting for a presidential commission.

Reply to this post

Response to rug (Reply #9)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 06:24 PM

10. Your original question: "How exactly would Obama establish a commission?"

I think I answered that.

You didn't like the answer and, instead, went off on recommendations for me.

I answer questions, you don't like the answers, not my problem. You recommendations for someone who answers your questions? I don't think you need to recommend anything to anyone who took the time to do the research and answer your question. Perhaps your question was not sincere, you had an agenda in mind, perhaps, to recommend that I (we) did not question your agenda to keep the RCC out of the purview of our democratic government's ability to examine? Just wondering what you had in mind with that original question, which, obviously, I had answered.

"How exactly would Obama establish a commission?"

Are you still insisting that the operations of a large, multi-national wealthy corporate enterprise that does business in all of 50 states and US territories, are you insisting that that particular entity and their activities are (or should be) exempt from government review and inquiry? Was organized crime or the status of women, or the coal industry or civil rights exempt? Only the RCC should be exempt? Tell me how that works!

Reply to this post

Response to JKingman (Reply #10)

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:16 PM

11. Your answer is incorrect.

It's not a federal matter. I answered that. You don't like the answer, not my problem.

Now, out of the wisdom of your 16 posts, you tell me what my agenda is.

Maybe I should have said welcome back.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:40 PM

12. Unfortunatley to get it to happen

They've had to make it so wide ranging and so lengthy it will probably take ten years and still deliver equivocal results. Sigh.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread