HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Most Republicans believe ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:34 PM

Most Republicans believe in demonic possession

Meanwhile, less than half think humans are responsible for climate change
By Laura Gottesdiener

... A staggering 68 percent of registered Republican voters stated that they believe demonic possession is real. Meanwhile, only 48 percent of self-identified Republicans believe in another equally if not more scary natural phenomenon: climate change.

The poll was conducted by Public Policy Polling, touted by NPR as “one of the most prolific polling outfits in the country.”

The survey was filled with enlightening gems about how the supernatural world may affect the upcoming presidential race. Women were slightly more likely than men to believe in demonic possession, although this gender gap is not nearly as wide as that of women’s preference for Obama ...

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/02/poll_most_republicans_believe_in_demonic_possession/

25 replies, 1842 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply Most Republicans believe in demonic possession (Original post)
struggle4progress Nov 2012 OP
Drale Nov 2012 #1
CthulhusEvilCousin Nov 2012 #4
skepticscott Nov 2012 #11
Drale Nov 2012 #12
mr blur Nov 2012 #13
Drale Nov 2012 #14
skepticscott Nov 2012 #16
skepticscott Nov 2012 #15
Drale Nov 2012 #17
skepticscott Nov 2012 #18
trotsky Nov 2012 #19
Drale Nov 2012 #20
trotsky Nov 2012 #21
Drale Nov 2012 #22
trotsky Nov 2012 #23
skepticscott Nov 2012 #25
skepticscott Nov 2012 #24
Siwsan Nov 2012 #2
Angry Dragon Nov 2012 #3
LiberalEsto Nov 2012 #5
Viva_Daddy Nov 2012 #6
cbayer Nov 2012 #7
louslobbs Nov 2012 #8
LeftishBrit Nov 2012 #9
dimbear Nov 2012 #10

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:37 PM

1. I believe in demonic possession

I've seen some crazy shit that I can not explain no matter how much study I've done on it, think of me what you will. I also KNOW that climate change is caused by man

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:45 PM

4. I also believe in Demonic Possession

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 10:13 PM

11. So the fact that you personally

out of over 6 billion people on the planet, can't explain those things, must automatically mean that they are due to demonic possession? Sure..I get that logic.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #11)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 10:45 AM

12. Many many many many many people believe

in demons and spirits and the fact that you have never experienced anything paranormal means that its doesn't exist right? Sure...I get that logic. Just because you want something to not exist doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I had a brick thrown at me from across a room in which me and my girlfriend were standing in. She was behind me, there was only one way in and out and there was no one else anywhere the pile of bricks.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 10:51 AM

13. So what? Many many many many many people believe in God. Or aliens.

Doesn't make it true. Or real.

Reply to this post

Response to mr blur (Reply #13)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 10:53 AM

14. Wow such a closed mind

I feel sorry for you my friend, you can not imagine anything outside your little reality.

BTW I believe in God as well as aliens, not aliens who come to earth and adduct people but the chances that somewhere out there, there is not life on another planet is just ridiculous to even think about.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #14)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:01 AM

16. Imagining something is one thing

Providing real, affirmative evidence that it exists is something else entirely. I can imagine a unicorn or a demon or an angel or a space alien existing, but I know of no good reason to think that they actually do exist at this point.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #12)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 10:58 AM

15. See, when you start making things up

that tells me you have no facts or reason on your side.

The fact that manymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymany people believe in something doesn't constitute one molecule of evidence that it is true or that it exists. You are familiar with the fallacious nature of argumentum ad populum, right? Would you like to be made to look foolish with a listing of all the things that manymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymanymamy people have believed in that are now known to be total bullshit?

My personal experience, or lack thereof, with the "paranormal" is irrelevant, as is yours. Ditto for what I may or may not "want" to be true. Only repeatable, verifiable evidence matters, and you and all of these other people have nothing, except arguments from ignorance and personal incredulity (two more fallacies), and unverifiable anecdotal stories.

Reply to this post

Response to skepticscott (Reply #15)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:02 AM

17. I am not making it up

and the fact that you accuse me of such shows you do not deserve my respect nor will you receive it. People like you are no better than the ultra religious people who shove then views in other peoples faces. You don't know everything and you definitely can't imagine anything outside your little reality. I feel sorry for you my friend.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #17)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:08 AM

18. The fact that you have NO answer

to ANY of the substantive points I raised about the flaws in your argument does tell me that you ARE just making shit up as you go, because of your deep need to believe in these things. As does accusing me of thinking I know everything, and not being able to "imagine anything outside your little reality" See my post 16 for a response to that crap. Maybe your woo flew in GD, but it won't in here.

And you can shove your "feeling sorry" condescension...not needed, not wanted.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #17)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:22 AM

19. So someone who challenges you to support your claim with evidence...

doesn't deserve your respect?

No wonder our political system is so fucked up. Contrary to your attack on skepticscott, it's people like YOU who are far more like the ultra religious right wing. They, too, have deeply held beliefs that they refuse to support with evidence - such as life beginning at conception, or homosexuality being wrong, or lower taxes on the rich creating jobs. No evidence whatsoever, and when asked to provide it, they lash out viciously just like you.

That's what I feel sorry for - this ludicrous idea that strong convictions or imagination are a substitute for reasoning and evidence. Your attitude is killing democracy.

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #19)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:35 AM

20. How am I supposed to have evidence?

I don't have a video of the brick flying at me. I could direct him to some EVP's, pictures, or some video but he's just going to dismiss them as fabricated so whats the point? If you don't want to believe something your never going to believe it, I bet that he could have a ghost manifest right in front of him and he won't believe, so no he does not deserve my respect.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #20)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:40 AM

21. Yep, same attitude as the religious right.

Thanks for confirming it.

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #21)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:46 AM

22. Really?

I have evidence, I can't help if you would instantly dismiss it. Not everyone who is religious is a crazy fundamentalist, you realize that right? The people who are destroying democracy are the ones who try and justify their atrocities with the bible. The fact that you try and role all religion into "the religious right" shows that you like most Americans like to generalize and combined anything they don't like into one evil thing. Don't instantly dismiss someone else's thoughts or ideas, especially if they do not hurt you in anyway. I'm done no more responds on this thread.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #22)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:50 AM

23. Yup. They have evidence, too.

It's their belief in the bible as the literal word of god. Just like you, they get very angry at anyone who doesn't accept their evidence, and they refuse to respect anyone who denies their claims. So very very alike, you and they.

For the record, no one's dismissing your thoughts or ideas, we just want some evidence to support them.

Also for the record, put away the straw man argument. I never said that all religious people were like the religious right.

Reply to this post

Response to trotsky (Reply #23)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 12:00 PM

25. And so it goes... the poster who blithely accuses others

of being closed-minded and unable to imagine anything outside their own reality refuses to hear any more. Never even tumbling to the fact that we CAN imagine both sides of things here, while he can only imagine one.

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #20)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 11:58 AM

24. Sorry, but your anecdotal account

that on its face violates well-established laws of physics is not adequate evidence of anything.

And you seem to be presuming what the behavior of someone you know nothing about would be in a circumstance you've never seen them before, and using that projection to dismiss anything they might say as valueless. I get that logic too...see it all the time here.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:41 PM

2. I think demonic possession explains the neo-con and tea party mind set

That, or alien abduction, implantation of some sort of other-worldly behavioral modification chips, and a return to earth that included being dropped on their heads.

But, that's just my theory.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:43 PM

3. Well Satan is their leader so it follows that they believe he is in their soul

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:50 PM

5. Looking at some of them makes me believe in it too.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 02:51 PM

6. Clearly they are spending too much time listening to the voices in their heads.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 03:10 PM

7. Amusingly written, but the numbers are still frightening.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 03:13 PM

8. They should know.

Lou

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 04:14 PM

9. Well, considering that Republicans sell their souls to the likes of Bush, Cheney,Romney, Murdoch,

and various big corporations, they may not be so far wrong when they believe in demonic possession!

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 3, 2012, 08:07 PM

10. The traditional remedy, attested in the Dead Sea Scrolls, is repetition of Psalm 91.

I do not vouch for the efficacy of this remedy.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread