HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » Freedom From Religion Fou...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 11:55 AM

Freedom From Religion Foundation scores school prayer victory in PA

http://www.goddiscussion.com/103501/freedom-from-religion-foundation-scores-school-prayer-victory-in-pa/

BY AL STEFANELLI
ON NOVEMBER 2, 2012 AT 8:23 AM

The civil rights organization issues a press release announcing the Eastern Lancaster County Board of School Directors has decided to drop prayres at school board meetings upon receiving their letter.

The decision came down after FFRF Senior Staff Attorney Rebecca Markert wrote the letter to the school directors on behalf oc complainant to Glenn Yoder.

The letter noted that federal and state courts have consistently ruled that prayers at public school board meetings are unconstitutional. Markert further noted that the practice causes divisiveness and are inappropriate, citing relevant cases.

The press release also notes that The Anti-Defamation League of Philadelphia had also written the Eastern Lancaster County Board of School Directors to complain about the invocations.

more at link

5 replies, 843 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Freedom From Religion Foundation scores school prayer victory in PA (Original post)
cbayer Nov 2012 OP
Goblinmonger Nov 2012 #1
nichomachus Nov 2012 #2
cbayer Nov 2012 #3
onager Nov 2012 #4
cbayer Nov 2012 #5

Response to cbayer (Original post)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 12:06 PM

1. I'm glad the FFRF exists and takes on these issues.

Though many, even some progressives on DU, will see this as a violation of free speech.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 12:31 PM

2. Instead of prayer in schools

the country would be better off if we had 10 minutes of science before every church service.

Reply to this post

Response to nichomachus (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 2, 2012, 12:35 PM

3. Lol, that is the truth.

Reply to this post

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 04:38 PM

4. The author is a former Southern Baptist preacher.

Al Stefanelli. I like his blog over at Wordpress.

He recently posted a useful "Republican Party Rape Advisory Chart." Except I have a horrible feeling some GOP voters may actually use it a voting guideline, for serious:

http://alstefanelli.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/the-republican-party-rape-advisory-chart/#more-3254

Reply to this post

Response to onager (Reply #4)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 04:42 PM

5. I like him as well. He seems to be pursuing just causes and to be very thoughtful

in his approach.

And from what I have seen, the Clergy Project looks really worthwhile.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread