HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Religion & Spirituality » Religion (Group) » The Jefferson Lies: David...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:34 PM

The Jefferson Lies: David Bartonís New Collection Of Whoppers

April 13, 2012 by Rob Boston in Wall of Separation

I have obtained a copy of David Bartonís new book The Jefferson Lies: Exposing the Myths Youíve Always Believed About Thomas Jefferson. I havenít read the entire tome yet but did spend some time leafing through it last night. Within half an hour I had noticed several outrageous distortions of the truth.

Thatís not surprising since Barton, a Texas-based ďChristian nationĒ propagandist, has been spreading fundamentalist misinformation about the nationís founding for years. Heís no historian; his only earned degree is in Christian education from Oral Roberts University. But that hasnít stopped his WallBuilders outfit from convincing many evangelical Christians that the Religious Rightís version of America was intended by the Founders from the start.

Today is Jeffersonís birthday, so itís an appropriate occasion to rise to his defense against people like Barton who are trying to covert our third president into an 18th-century Religious Right zealot. With that thought in mind, here are some of the lies Barton is spreading about Jefferson:

http://au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/the-jefferson-lies-david-barton%E2%80%99s-new-collection-of-whoppers

Barton's writings are consistently shredded by professional historians yet he continues to be quite popular in some Christian circles. Confirmation bias founded on misinterpretations and outright lies.

Italics and emphasis added.

2 replies, 1619 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Jefferson Lies: David Bartonís New Collection Of Whoppers (Original post)
Adsos Letter Apr 2012 OP
Odin2005 Apr 2012 #1
Adsos Letter Apr 2012 #2

Response to Adsos Letter (Original post)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:18 PM

1. I just saw this POS at Barnes and Noble this morning.

I had to work really hard to contain my laughter.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Odin2005 (Reply #1)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:23 PM

2. I saw it on Amazon. The negative reviews of his stuff are worth a read.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread