HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Recreation » Outdoor Life (Group) » Pics from a hike I did in...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM

Pics from a hike I did in Utah several years ago

We hiked two canyons in the Grand Gulch Primitive Area area in Utah. The ruins are Anasazi, about 900 yrs. old.

I'm going back to the same canyons with my son in about 8 weeks. He's gonna love the hike!

4 replies, 725 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pics from a hike I did in Utah several years ago (Original post)
mokawanis Jan 2013 OP
petronius Jan 2013 #1
mokawanis Jan 2013 #2
petronius Jan 2013 #3
mokawanis Jan 2013 #4

Response to mokawanis (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 PM

1. What a fascinating-looking place!

From that bottom pic I assume these are overnight backpacking trips? How long do you plan to stay out?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to petronius (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:01 PM

2. We'll be out there for 5 days

and we'll hike about 25 miles. There's only three spots to re-fill the water bottles so we have to make sure we find them all. I think we carried 45-lb packs on the hike when I took these pics. My other concern is the night-time temps. It's gonna be cold out there at night in late March.

Reply to this post

Response to mokawanis (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:26 PM

3. What are the water sources - springs? creeks? wells? I've done some hikes with long dry legs,

but never anything where the next water wasn't absolutely findable - sounds challenging...

Hope you'll give us some pictures from this trip!

Reply to this post

Response to petronius (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 12:29 PM

4. The sources are springs

and probably won't be too hard to locate. Last time I did the hike, years ago, we found 2 of the 3 easily. The 3rd one was a small pool with just a few inches of water, and it took us a while to find it because it was off the main trail and there were a bunch of secondary trails we had to explore before we got the right one.

I'll be sure to post pictures when I get back. The hike goes by A LOT of ruins, including a kiva hikers are allowed to climb down into that we bypassed when we there before.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread