Tue Feb 21, 2012, 03:36 PM
Blue_Tires (35,956 posts)
F1 says Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead in April
LONDON (AP) — The Bahrain Grand Prix is still on for April, despite opposition protests marking the one-year anniversary of a civil uprising against the minority rule in the Gulf kingdom.
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone dismissed Tuesday's massive anti-government protest in Manama as ``a lot of kids having a go at the police.''
``I don't think it's anything serious at all,'' Ecclestone was quoted as saying in The Guardian newspaper on Wednesday. ``It doesn't change our position in any shape or form.
``If the people in Bahrain (the government) say, 'Look Bernie, it wouldn't be good for you to come over here,' then I would think again. That is what they said last year.''
At least 40 people have been killed during a year of unprecedented political unrest in Bahrain. On Tuesday, police fired tear gas and stun grenades at protesters to prevent them from regrouping on the outskirts of Manama and marching to Pearl Square - the epicenter of opposition's demonstrations last year.
The clashes prompted renewed uncertainty about whether the 2012 F1 race can go ahead after last year's revolt by the Shiite majority against the Sunni rulers led to Bahrain's premier international event being canceled.
3 replies, 631 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
F1 says Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead in April (Original post)
Response to Blue_Tires (Original post)
Tue Feb 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
Amonester (10,867 posts)
1. 1% uncle bernie won't have much a say if the teams (& drivers)...
'collectively' decide that "they DO NOT WANT" to go there.... (like they did last year).