HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Bicycling (Group) » Ah, my first wipe out. I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 01:29 PM

Ah, my first wipe out. It was awesome. Ok, it was not awesome.

Actually, it pissed me off due to circumstance. Approaching an intersection with a "walk" sign and clear right of way. About 15-20 feet out, it was obvious to me the idiot approaching wasn't stopping, was going to cruise through without stopping at all to make a right.

So, I slammed on the brakes and steered into the grassy strip between road and paved trail where I was riding. Wipe out on my right side, kind spun around over the handlebars. I wear full protective gear and has about 6 layers of clothes against the cold.

Didn't hurt anything, not even my pride, since it wasn't my fault. A guy I met at my gym has a broken arm from being hit and sailing about 30 feet. He knows he was really lucky.

Why can't people just follow traffic laws and not drive like idiots?

4 replies, 907 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ah, my first wipe out. It was awesome. Ok, it was not awesome. (Original post)
Denninmi Nov 2012 OP
Not Me Nov 2012 #1
Denninmi Nov 2012 #2
krik65 Dec 2012 #3
Kennah Dec 2012 #4

Response to Denninmi (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 03:26 PM

1. Glad to hear you're okay

My first involved stopping at a red light, and for some reason, I couldn't release my shoe clips. I literally fell over. I was laying there...and asked: Is my bike okay? Did anyone see me do this? Am i okay? In that order

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Not Me (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 06:26 PM

2. I had them switch out the pedals with shoe clips.

I hate those. I had the bike shop put on pegged pedals. They're great. The pegs really grip soles of shoes.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 12:26 PM

3. Krik Edward

Thanks you for the sharing good information with us

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:08 PM

4. I dropped my bike on a ride back in October

Approached a roundabout, asshole in a car came zipping into the roundabout, braked hard, locked up, down I went. Skinned knees, sore shoulder, no bike damage.

There's a lot of assholes out there, and Olympia is a Silver Rated City for Bike Friendliness. I guess there's a bounty on bicyclists in some states.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread