HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Ticket sales are slow for...

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:30 AM

Ticket sales are slow for Superbowl

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/23/super-bowl-patriots-fans-tickets_n_1224470.html

The game should be held in Foxboro. I have always believed that the "neutral site" is a joke. All other sports hold the championship game at home. It is a reward to the fans.They pay the freight. The Super bowl is a complete slap in the face to the real fan. The game is too important is another joke. Oh, so last week's game was important.

13 replies, 1357 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ticket sales are slow for Superbowl (Original post)
wilt the stilt Jan 2012 OP
ScreamingMeemie Jan 2012 #1
rocktivity Jan 2012 #2
bluedigger Jan 2012 #3
RockaFowler Jan 2012 #4
hughee99 Jan 2012 #5
HuckleB Jan 2012 #6
Auggie Jan 2012 #7
Iggo Jan 2012 #8
caraher Jan 2012 #9
Auggie Jan 2012 #11
PVnRT Jan 2012 #10
JonLP24 Jan 2012 #12
PVnRT Jan 2012 #13

Response to wilt the stilt (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:32 AM

1. If the Packers had to play in Dallas last year, the Patriots will just have

to deal with Indy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 AM

2. Well, duh.

...(A)ccording to StubHub, The median price was $2,800 a ticket, compared to $2,900 for last year's Packers-Steelers game. Prices bottomed out at a median of $2,000 for the 2009 and 2010 Super Bowls. They reached a median-high of $3,500 in the 2007 Super Bowl between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts.

Another resale site, the NFL Ticket Exchange, reported that its average ticket purchase for this Super Bowl has been a healthy $4,183, with a high of $11,883.

Add to that the price of hotel, foul weather gear, travel and inviting a guest, and the Super Bowl becomes a very, shall we say, one-percenter kind of event!

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:51 AM

3. I suspect the Patriots are a larger national draw.

The article bases it's premise on percentage of sales by state, but the whole population of New England is probably less than New York alone. I would bet that out of region sales are in favor of the Pats, who
benefit from the RedSoxNation phenomenon.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:07 AM

4. It could also be where it's located

Who wants to go to Indy in the winter?? Next year in New York is gonna be a train wreck. I remember the 1981 Super Bowl in the Detroit area - worst snow ever. You know when I go on vacation I want sun and water - not snow and more snow.

Reply to this post

Response to RockaFowler (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:05 PM

5. I think that plays a factor.

There's a difference between wanting to go to the SB and getting to go to New Orleans (or Miami, or San Diego) and want to go to the SB but having to go to Indy, Detroit, or Minneapolis.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:46 PM

6. There is plenty to do in New York.

There is nothing to do in Indianapolis, at least nothing most people can't get at home.

Reply to this post

Response to HuckleB (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 01:28 PM

7. Wherever it's held, VIPs will be treated like royalty

Spare no expense for the sponsors and special guests. The NFL will create special things to do in Indianapolis -- at least for the weekend and for the priviledged few.

Wow ... I am cynical today

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 02:00 PM

8. Cynical? Yeah. But you ain't wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 05:33 PM

9. For sure

I've been treated to accounts of these temporary amusements in the Sunday paper for quite some time. Ziplines down Capitol Avenue... ?!

I'm already "suffering" - my hockey league (we play Sundays a block or two from Lucas Oil Stadium) enters a 2-weekend hiatus thanks to the Super Bowl. We were originally scheduled to play next week, but some unnamed entity basically leased the entire facility starting tomorrow through the Super Bowl.

They've done all kinds of things to the streets, and last Sunday it took me a long time to leave after my game because so many streets were blocked off for last-minute work. I read that cabs will charge flat rates beginning at $15 for any ride beginning or ending downtown (there will be zone fares, basically) in a city with essentially no effective public transportation. I have no idea how working men and women will get to their jobs during the 1%er fest. I really question whether there will be any lasting value in all the huge investment in transforming streets near the stadium into temporary pedestrian malls.

The one good thing that can come of this is if the NFLPA can put some pressure against the Right to Work push Mitch Daniels and friends are trying to ram through right now. I understand it's passed the state Senate, but its chances in the House depend on whether they can coerce enough Democrats not to boycott in order to get a vote. (They've already instituted $1000/day fines against the Democrats.) Some unions have agreements against work stoppages during the Super Bowl, but that doesn't include some service unions. The NFLPA has already issued a statement against the bill.

Reply to this post

Response to caraher (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:45 PM

11. Thanks for the great update

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:06 PM

10. Right. It has nothing to do with $1,000 nosebleed tickets

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 09:06 PM

12. I think nuetral sites are fine

I look at it as NFC Champion vs AFC Champion rather than overall record as they play in different conferences. Other sports at least afford home games to the lower ranked team though MLS does have their 1 game elimination championship on neutral sites.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:51 AM

13. I think college sports would disagree about the "always play at home" thing

Most conference championships aren't even at home, let alone national ones. Plus, as I said up thread, you can only afford Super Bowl tickets if you've been saving up for it for years or are already rich. That plus a shitty economy means sluggish ticket sales, not location.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread