HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » How come there is not an ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:06 PM

How come there is not an official Golf topic listed under sports?

8 replies, 672 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply How come there is not an official Golf topic listed under sports? (Original post)
busterbrown Feb 2013 OP
Auggie Feb 2013 #1
busterbrown Feb 2013 #2
Kingofalldems Feb 2013 #3
TexasTowelie Feb 2013 #4
busterbrown Feb 2013 #7
madinmaryland Feb 2013 #5
busterbrown Feb 2013 #6
bluedigger Feb 2013 #8

Response to busterbrown (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:10 PM

1. There aren't many golf posts here ...

some will argue golf is not a real sport. I'm sure you'll hear from them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Auggie (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:18 PM

2. Oh jesus Christ, not here too.

People who do not play golf have no idea how hard it is..And how come practically every professional athlete out there playing another sport would say the same thing...???

Reply to this post

Response to busterbrown (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:33 PM

3. If there was a golf group, half of the posts

would be about golf not being a real sport. We do talk golf here but mostly during the majors.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:35 PM

4. Some people also consider it to be an elitist sport.

Money for equipment and course fees. The sport isn't widely available to young people if they also require transportation to get to the golf courses. All of these factors make golf less available to people with modest incomes.

Reply to this post

Response to TexasTowelie (Reply #4)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 03:32 AM

7. Not really...

Most cities all have Jr.Programs for those 13 and under. Green fees average around $5.00. Set of used Jr. clubs with bag and stand $25.00. I would say that its about on the same price point as bowling for the young ones.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:56 PM

5. The Sports Group is kind of a catch-all to get as many people as we

can to join. Generally most of the people here will talk about most sports, whereas if you had a separate group for each sport there probably would not be much traffic to it. It happened over in DU2 where there were baseball and football groups and they were essentially dead.

Welcome to the Sports Group!!

Reply to this post

Response to madinmaryland (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 06:18 PM

6. Yea I get it..Thanks.. Into Football and Tiger, Phil and Majors as well..

Just thinking to myself how when Tiger doesn’t play I hardly bother to watch. If Tiger had never been a golfer I think golf would have had a steady climb in popularity each year beating the last by a few per cent. However when Tiger was added in to the fray, golf’s ratings catapulted and all of us could hardly wait for his next event. Everyone felt they were watching something before our eyes that we could brag about one day..

Those days are gone. Tiger will still win a couple of more majors but when he doesn’t play., No one gives a shit. Plus all these guys are religious righters which makes it even worse for me. Cory, Rickey, are the only ones I enjoy watching.

Golf is not an elitist sport. Very affordable for middle income kids. But most golf nuts are pretty hard core
low information right wing type. Its interesting how much they love Tiger, willing to forgive and that all is well. Every time I join a 3some on a course I keep my mouth shut, unless their a minority in which case I try to engage them in politics. They are always very receptive..

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:37 AM

8. You think golf gets no respect?

Try posting about college hockey.

This is the place to post about any sports. Responses will depend on interest. Stick around.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread