HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Mary Cain, remember the n...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:37 AM

Mary Cain, remember the name.

There were two easy predictions for the womenís 2-mile race at the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix on Saturday: Three-time Olympic gold medalist Tirunesh Dibaba would blow away the field at the Reggie Lewis Track and Athletic Center, while high school phenom Mary Cain would set the national high school record.

Both Dibaba and Cain raced with a competitiveness and a confidence that turned those predictions into certainties well before they crossed the line.

Dibaba ran most of the race alone and nearly lapped the field, finishing three seconds shy of the meet record in 9 minutes 13.17 seconds. Cain, a 16-year-old junior from Bronxville, N.Y., took third overall, finishing in 9:38.68, topping the mark by more than 17 seconds.

She didnít just break the scholastic mark, set by Melody Fairchild in 1991, she obliterated it with an impressive kick that is becoming a trademark.

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/track-and-field/2013/02/03/high-schooler-mary-cain-shatters-record-mile-race/6qmBjJLmb2Py0g8Zq3AnNM/story.html

my emphasis

She set the HS mile record a week earlier...by six seconds!

Yeah, we'll be hearing more from Mary Cain.

1 replies, 427 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Mary Cain, remember the name. (Original post)
bluedigger Feb 2013 OP
chelsea0011 Feb 2013 #1

Response to bluedigger (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 04:15 PM

1. Impressive high school phenom. I just saw her interviewed on ESPN and seems like

a very mature 16 year old. Should be fun to watch how much she can develop.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread