HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Manti Te’o was Catfished?...

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 01:59 PM

Manti Te’o was Catfished? Wait, what’s that?

As Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick attempted to explain the elaborate hoax that caused star linebacker Manti Te’o to believe in the life, love and death of his online girlfriend Lennay Kekua, he referenced a movie called “Catfish.”

"Catfish" was a cult movie, one not a lot of people saw, but was turned into a reality TV show on MTV.

It also scared the few who did see it.

The premise of the movie, which premiered in 2010, was this: A man named Nev Schulman fell in love with a girl after establishing an online and telephonic relationship with her. He never meets her, knows only what she tells him and gleans the rest from photos and posts on Facebook.

Schulman’s cousin and friend make a documentary of the entire relationship. At some point, the relationship comes to a hilt and he decides to drive to her hometown to meet face-to-face. What he finds is not the woman he thought he knew.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/manti-te-o-catfished-wait-023904245--ncaaf.html

Makes me want to see the movie...

6 replies, 890 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Manti Te’o was Catfished? Wait, what’s that? (Original post)
joeybee12 Jan 2013 OP
TZ Jan 2013 #1
RiffRandell Jan 2013 #2
MuseRider Jan 2013 #3
OKNancy Jan 2013 #4
RiffRandell Jan 2013 #5
joeybee12 Jan 2013 #6

Response to joeybee12 (Original post)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:33 PM

1. watch the show on MTV

That will tell you everything you need to know about it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 02:51 PM

2. I saw the movie.

Came across it one night when I couldn't sleep and it's so bizarre I had see the whole thing. Don't want to give away too much, but it's worth watching.

I had to tell the whole story to my husband the next day because the whole thing was so weird (and I like weird) but I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:30 PM

3. I think it is on NetFlix.

I saw it, I think that is where I saw it. Been a while. Very odd movie, creepy and weird.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:21 PM

4. .. and most believe the movie itself was a hoax

I read a lot about this when it happened, but for brevity, here is the wiki paragraph

In an interview Ariel Schulman related that some viewers believe Catfish to be a fake documentary, or a hoax. Morgan Spurlock, director and subject of the documentary Super Size Me, walked up to the producers of the film during one of its initial screenings and told them "it was the best fake documentary I have ever seen." Comedian Zach Galifianakis also has stated that he does not believe the events in the film to be true.
Kyle Buchanan at Movieline questions why the filmmakers would begin obsessively documenting Nev's online relationship so early on, and argues that it is highly improbable that media-savvy professionals like the Schulmans and Joost would not use the Internet to research Megan and her family before meeting them. Others have also questioned the trio's decision to begin filming, as well as the seemingly improbable coincidence of them catching everything of importance to the story on film as it happens. It has also been pointed out that the group's supposed movements in Catfish are not documented in their public blog postings at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish_(film)

Reply to this post

Response to OKNancy (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 04:58 PM

5. Wow. Never heard that.

Makes sense. Maybe they did research the family, saw what a crazy situation it was and did it for the drama.

Reply to this post

Response to OKNancy (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 17, 2013, 05:01 PM

6. Well, I just put it on hold at the library...#4 in the holds...

So I'll see it pretty dang soon!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread