HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Indiana girls basketball ...

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:14 PM

Indiana girls basketball team routs foe 107-2, sparking sportsmanship outrage

Ever since Dallas (Texas) Covenant School's girls basketball team routed Dallas (Texas) Academy's girls program 100-0 in 2009, the round-numbered rout has served as the benchmark for brutal blowouts. It was even obliquely cited in an article about another girls hoops blowout on Monday right here at Prep Rally.

Now Covenant may finally be off the sportsmanship hook, thanks to an even more absurd act of poor sportsmanship in Indiana. On Tuesday night, Bloomington (Ind.) South High's girls basketball squad topped Arlington (Ind.) High's team by a score of 107-2.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Arlington hit a solitary free throw in both the second and third period. All the rest of the scoring came from Bloomington South, with the team's coach encouraging his players to keep shooting as the points piled up.

"I didn't tell my girls to stop shooting because that would have been more embarrassing ," Bloomington South coach Larry Winters told the Star. "We were not trying to embarrass them or run up the score."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/indiana-girls-basketball-team-routs-foe-107-2-181525152.html?

15 replies, 1470 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply Indiana girls basketball team routs foe 107-2, sparking sportsmanship outrage (Original post)
Tony_FLADEM Dec 2012 OP
rocktivity Dec 2012 #1
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #6
rocktivity Dec 2012 #8
JonLP24 Dec 2012 #2
rocktivity Dec 2012 #3
Upton Dec 2012 #4
caraher Dec 2012 #5
WooWooWoo Dec 2012 #9
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #7
Travis_0004 Dec 2012 #10
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #11
Indianademocrat91 Dec 2012 #12
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #13
ProfessorGAC Dec 2012 #14
Iggo Dec 2012 #15

Response to Tony_FLADEM (Original post)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:26 PM

1. It's the Arlington team who exhibited the "poor" sportsmanship

Last edited Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:10 PM - Edit history (4)

They're 0-5 for the year on top of losing 18 in a row previously. And they were only able to score on free throws?

The league should have a policy of automatically ending the game if the margin of victory is that large. When I played volleyball in school, the game ended if the lead grew past fifteen points (known as the "mercy" or "skunk" rule):

In high school basketball, many states have a "continuous clock" rule, similar to American football, which takes effect in the second half after a lead grows to a prescribed point (e.g., in Iowa, 35 points or more). The clock stops only for charged, officials' or injury time-outs; or at the end of the third quarter. The clock would not stop in situations where timing would normally stop, such as for fouls, free throws, out-of-bounds plays or substitutions.

The rules vary when normal timing procedures take effect after a lead is diminished (such as due to the trailing team's rally); for instance, in Iowa, normal timing procedures are enforced when the lead is lowered to 25 points, but re-instituted once the lead grows back to 35 or more points. As with other sports, some states offer provisions to allow a team to end the game early by mutual decision of the coaches (for instance, if a large lead continues to grow and the talent disparity is obvious).

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rocktivity (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:08 AM

6. Are you being sarcastic? nm

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:54 PM

8. About how poorly they played, yes. But not about the skunk rule

Last edited Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:28 PM - Edit history (3)

If a team is leading by, say, fifty points or more by the end of the second or third quarter, the game should end. I think it's a good idea for youth sports, and the winning coach doesn't end up being the villain.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:38 PM

2. Tough to tell w/o being able to picture it

It could be like running off-tackle w/ a big lead in football. You can't help but score unless you quit playing. Not like Pete Carroll going for it on 4th & 23 w/ a 51-point lead (which I don't have a problem w/, it is up to the D to stop them which they did when he was taking shots at the end zone).

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:27 PM

3. Looky at what I found, LOL!

Last edited Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:46 PM - Edit history (1)

...Arlington was taken over by a private company prior to this season, causing many students to transfer to remain in Indianapolis Public Schools. First-year coach Ebony Jackson told The Star that her team has almost no basketball experience.
link

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:57 PM

5. I really don't understand Winters' point

There's no shot clock, so in principle you can take as few shots as you like in any game - even zero. I'm not sure how long their quarters are, but even if the full game is 40 minutes, to score 107 that's almost 2.7 points per minute. Holding the ball for 45-60 seconds before shooting should suffice to keep the score down even if you start that process up by 40 late in the first half. And that's not an embarrassment to the other team to hold it that long - 45 seconds was the original NCAA shot clock.

Yeah, it's a slow tempo, but playing a slow tempo is hardly an insult to the other team!

Reply to this post

Response to caraher (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:02 PM

9. there are NBA teams that can't score 107 points

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:13 AM

7. There is no excuse. The coaches explanation was total BS.

It would be easy to hold the score down while not mocking the other team. But today it's all about domination, in your face. Especially in basketball. I think the coach should be reprimanded.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 07:41 PM

10. I disagree

First off, this is high school, its not like the kids are 8 years old. The coach played all the players (and hopefully the second string got most of the playing time). If I was a coach I'm not going to tell my kids not to try. I wouldn't give them a full court press, but if they have the ball, then the object is to get a basket.

The only person who I think needs to be talked to is the League commissioner. This team shouldn't be moved to a less competitive league.

Reply to this post

Response to Travis_0004 (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 PM

11. It's high school. The more reason to demonstrate sportsmanship.

It is very easy to hold the score down. Play your third string. Dont steal the ball. Pass at least 6 times or 8 times before a shot.
No layins. Good grief, it's easy. And most important it is a great lesson to learn not to pile on. To score that high, I cant imagine they didnt full court press.

This isnt a new occurrence. Many have been in this situation and not destroyed the opposition. But that's where we are in American sports. It's all about winning, no it's all about dominating and no longer about sportsmanship.

Reply to this post

Response to rhett o rick (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:57 PM

12. They stopped pressing at 50-0

Did a full court press up til 50-0 even though the other team hadn't scored more than 20 points in any game before that...Coach is an asshat

Reply to this post

Response to Indianademocrat91 (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:30 AM

13. Exactly. An asshat. I bet the winning team was yucking it up the whole game. I have

seen games like that.

Reply to this post

Response to Indianademocrat91 (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:16 AM

14. Pressing With A 48 Point Lead?

Real classy coach. Like you said, they never scored more than 20 for a game. The press was NEVER necessary. It sure wasn't once they had a 48 point lead.

This is sickening.
GAC

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 09:38 PM

15. Wait a minute!

Okay...

Please proceed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread