HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Paul Tagliabue vacates Sa...

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:44 PM

Paul Tagliabue vacates Saints' Bounty penalties

NEW ORLEANS -- Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has overturned the suspensions of four current and former New Orleans Saints players in the league's bounty investigation of the club.

Tagliabue, however, found that the players' conduct was detrimental to the league. He says they participated in a performance pool that rewarded key plays -- including hard tackles -- that could justify fines.

But the former commissioner said Tuesday that "this entire case has been contaminated by the coaches and others in the Saints' organization."

Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma initially had been suspended the whole season, while Saints defensive end Will Smith, Cleveland linebacker Scott Fujita and free agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove received shorter suspensions.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8736662/paul-tagliabue-vacates-new-orleans-players-bounty-penalties

3 replies, 502 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Paul Tagliabue vacates Saints' Bounty penalties (Original post)
joeybee12 Dec 2012 OP
JonLP24 Dec 2012 #1
joeybee12 Dec 2012 #2
KamaAina Dec 2012 #3

Response to joeybee12 (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:45 PM

1. I don't think he had a choice

and that statement there, blaming the Saints coaches and players for their own questionable evidence, makes me even more glad Goddell lost here. He got his facts wrong when he quoted several players, who testified under oath that there was no bounty.

I do believe Williams is guilty, however he overstepped his authority in regards to players. The NFL will be a better place w/o Goddell.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JonLP24 (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 PM

2. Seems like it's a political ruling so everyone can claim victory...

Gooddell can say the bounties existed, players can say the penalties were wrong. Apparently Vilma is still going ahead with his defamation lawsuit.

Reply to this post

Response to joeybee12 (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 07:09 PM

3. Oh sure. Now that their season's ruined

and they have no chance to play in their own Super Bowl.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread