HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Bud Selig approves Marlin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 05:41 PM

Bud Selig approves Marlins-Blue Jays blockbuster citing “plausible baseball judgment”

Commissioner Bud Selig has signed off on the blockbuster Marlins-Blue Jays trade one week after Miami agreed to send Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson, John Buck, and Emilio Bonifacio to Toronto for Adeiny Hechavarria, Yunel Escobar, Henderson Alvarez, Jeff Mathis, Justin Nicolino, Jake Marisnick, and Anthony Desclafani.

There was some speculation that Selig might reject the deal, but there was never much precedent for that–at least not during Selig’s tenure as commissioner–and dragging it out as long as he did perhaps represents the most he would realistically do to display his unhappiness with the Marlins’ latest firesale.

In approving the trade Selig stressed that he “carefully reviewed the proposed transaction” with the help of many veteran baseball officials and cited “plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs.”

(snip)

On a related note, “plausible baseball judgment” is a phrase we should all make sure to use constantly for the rest of our lives.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/bud-selig-approves-marlins-blue-jays-blockbuster-citing-plausible-baseball-judgment/related/

4 replies, 586 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bud Selig approves Marlins-Blue Jays blockbuster citing “plausible baseball judgment” (Original post)
El Supremo Nov 2012 OP
bluedigger Nov 2012 #1
Auggie Nov 2012 #2
Kingofalldems Nov 2012 #3
madinmaryland Nov 2012 #4

Response to El Supremo (Original post)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 05:47 PM

1. ...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:20 PM

2. I bet this crossed Bud's mind first:

it makes the A.L. East more competitive, and that's better for business.

Reply to this post

Response to Auggie (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:25 PM

3. Toronto is now better than the Yankees as I see it

It will be interesting to see how things shake out in Miami next year. I won't be surprised to see the shameless Loria wanting to move the team due to lack of attendance.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:45 PM

4. “plausible baseball judgment” gave us the designated hitter rule and allowed * become an owner

of a baseball team.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread