HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Bob Hewitt suspended from...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:42 PM

Bob Hewitt suspended from Tennis Hall of Fame after allegations of sexual abuse

Disgraced tennis star Bob Hewitt was suspended indefinitely from the International Tennis Hall of Fame Thursday, following a lengthy investigation into allegations that he sexually abused underage girls he coached, from Greater Boston to his South African homeland from the 1970s to the early 1990s.

The Hall of Fame stopped short of expelling Hewitt, one of the greatest doubles players in tennis history, because he has not been convicted of a crime, according to executive director Mark Stenning.

Stenning said more than 25 members of the Hall’s executive committee voted unanimously Wednesday to suspend Hewitt because of the sexual abuse scandal.

“As of today, his plaque will be removed from the Hall of Fame,’’ Stenning said. “His name will be removed from our website and all other materials, and from the perspective of the Hall of Fame, he ceases to be a Hall of Famer.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/other-sports/tennis/2012/11/15/bob-hewitt-suspended-from-tennis-hall-fame-after-allegations-sexual-abuse/UzoCXETG9wKYN2PmS09sKK/story.html

I'm not seeing their distinction between suspension and expulsion, but I'm glad they are taking action.

3 replies, 570 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bob Hewitt suspended from Tennis Hall of Fame after allegations of sexual abuse (Original post)
bluedigger Nov 2012 OP
joeybee12 Nov 2012 #1
bluedigger Nov 2012 #2
joeybee12 Nov 2012 #3

Response to bluedigger (Original post)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 01:56 PM

1. This is creepy...nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:04 PM

2. If I understand my younger female friends' usage correctly...

...he's the definition of a "Creeper".

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #2)

Fri Nov 16, 2012, 02:22 PM

3. I know this happened a while ago, but still seems like

people HAD to know.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread