HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Minnesota Timberwolves To...

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 06:01 PM

Minnesota Timberwolves Too White?

"The Minnesota Timberwolves are too white, according to local civil rights leaders. We've come a long way from the Edmund Pettus Bridge.

That's where Alabama state troopers attacked marchers in 1965. U.S. Rep. John Lewis still bears the scars from a fractured skull.

When it comes to civil rights, I think of Thurgood Marshall arguing against school segregation before the Supreme Court. I think of Medgar Evers getting assassinated in his driveway in Mississippi.

Somehow, Martell Webster getting replaced by a guy from Russia doesn't stack up. Then again, I'm not chairman of the Twin Cities' African American Leadership Council.

"How did we get to a roster that resembles the 1955 Lakers?" Tyrone Terrell told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "I think everything is a strategy. Nothing happens by happenstance."* Cenk Uygur, Ana Kasparian, Jayar Jackson, and Rick Strom (Host, TYT Sports) break down this argument, and whether or not it is deliberate, racist, or nothing to worry about.

*Read more from David Whitley/ AOL Sporting News

Rhetoric like this is what makes people FRUSTRATED with the left...and suckered into the Rush Limbaugh loony world.

3 replies, 823 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Minnesota Timberwolves Too White? (Original post)
alp227 Nov 2012 OP
Scuba Nov 2012 #1
KamaAina Nov 2012 #2
hughee99 Nov 2012 #3

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sun Nov 4, 2012, 06:10 PM

1. Can they win?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Mon Nov 5, 2012, 12:21 PM

2. The Celtics won a title with a mostly white lineup

led by Bird, McHale, and Danny Ainge. The only African American who got many minutes on that team was Robert Parish.

As Chris Rock put it, "They won by putting five white guys on the court to confuse everybody."

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #2)

Mon Nov 5, 2012, 05:03 PM

3. And Dennis Johnson, the starting point guard.

That was the year they had a bunch of big white stiffs to back up Parish and McHale. (Wedman, Kite, Carlisle and a Bill Walton who was well into the "back 9" of his career). If I remember right, even DJ's backup was white (Jerry Sichting, IIRC).

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread