HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Raise your hand if you wo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 01:59 PM

Raise your hand if you would pay $1 BILLION for the Cleveland Browns. How about more than a billion?

The Cleveland Browns have been sold by Randy Lerner to Jimmy Haslam for in excess of $1 billion, league sources said.

The sale of the Browns is laid out in two parts. Haslam will take over controlling interest of the Browns for over $700 million. Then, in the second phase of the purchase, he will pay over $300 million to complete the deal.

NFL ownership is expected to approve Haslam's purchase at its October meeting. Commissioner Roger Goodell could expedite the process by calling a special meeting, although that is considered unlikely.

The NFL helped bring Haslam to Lerner so that a sale could be completed smoothly, efficiently and with a high probability of success. Haslam had informed the league how much he wanted to buy a team, and Lerner -- who is more interested in his soccer team (Aston Villa in England) -- was interested in selling the Browns.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8225861/randy-lerner-sells-cleveland-browns-more-1b-sources-say

4 replies, 646 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Raise your hand if you would pay $1 BILLION for the Cleveland Browns. How about more than a billion? (Original post)
charlie and algernon Aug 2012 OP
Auggie Aug 2012 #1
joeybee12 Aug 2012 #2
Yavin4 Aug 2012 #3
Auggie Aug 2012 #4

Response to charlie and algernon (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:17 PM

1. I would (if I was super wealthy)

Good luck. Haslam. Can't be any worse than Lerner. Just three pieces of advice from a wannabe owner:

1): Give Mike Holmgren all the money he asks for

2): Don't interfere with player personnel decisions; let the front office and coaching staff do their jobs

3): Don't be a douchebag

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:54 PM

2. Let's just say it's hard to type this while sitting on my hands...nt

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 04:08 PM

3. Just As Haslam Was About To Hand Over the Check, He Fumbled It

and the Denver Broncos recovered it.

Reply to this post

Response to Yavin4 (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 04:11 PM

4. LOL

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread