HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Sports » Sports (Group) » Jury selection begins in ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 02:06 PM

Jury selection begins in Auburn tree poisoning trial

Remember this incident? It happened nearly two years ago and is just coming to trial now.

Associated Press / June 19, 2012

OPELIKA, Ala. -- Jury selection began Tuesday in the trial of an Alabama fan (Harvey Updyke) accused of poisoning two oak trees at Auburn's famed Toomer's Corner, and lawyers asked potential jurors about their ties to Auburn.

SNIP

Updyke is accused of poisoning the trees after Auburn beat the Crimson Tide during the Tigers' 2010 national title season. The 63-year-old has pleaded not guilty on charges that include criminal mischief and desecrating a venerable object.

STORY: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8071429/auburn-tigers-jury-selection-underway-harvey-updyke-tree-poison-trial

4 replies, 778 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Jury selection begins in Auburn tree poisoning trial (Original post)
Auggie Jun 2012 OP
hlthe2b Jun 2012 #1
TZ Jun 2012 #2
bluedigger Jun 2012 #3
JonLP24 Jun 2012 #4

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 02:08 PM

1. So sad that someone would be so callous... Senseless act & I hope he does time.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Auggie (Original post)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 02:09 PM

2. The guy admitted doing it in public.

I can't believe this trial should take long. I guess he's gonna say he was lying?

Reply to this post

Response to TZ (Reply #2)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 02:33 PM

3. I thought he admitted it, too.

He must have some crazy ass defense lined up, or he's convinced the jury will nullify.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #3)

Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:03 PM

4. Someone who went by "Al" admitted it on a radio show

The call was traced to Harvey Updyke's residence. Off the top of my head they could say it could have been someone else on the phone which he would have to show who else was there at the time. Just guessing they could raise questions about the police tracing methods.

I'm just guessing, I have no clue what defense they will use but it isn't quite public. If the evidence is correct someone using Updyke's phone going by "Al" admitted it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread