HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Reading & Writing » Science Fiction (Group) » The NEW Star Trek trailer...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 05:23 AM

The NEW Star Trek trailers(s) kick ass!

... there are actually two of them. An American one and a better Japanese one. Both are below. Rumor mill working over time on who Cumberbatch is playing. End of the trailer seems to suggest Khan, foreshadowing an iconic Trek scene and also his narration saying he's returned to have his vengence (Khan was revived from suspended animation in 2267 after the Eugenics Wars of the 1990s.) It has been pointed out, though, that his actions in the movie more resemble Gary Mitchell's, not to mention that quick flash of the blonde actress who could be Dr. Elizabeth Dehner originally played by Sally Kellerman.

One other theory making the rounds is Cumberbatch is Dr. Tolian Soran (originally played by Malcolm McDowell in the movie 'Generations') and that the ruins he is standing in front of in the poster is actually a destroyed Borg cube.

Japanese trailer -

9 replies, 2435 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply The NEW Star Trek trailers(s) kick ass! (Original post)
wyldwolf Dec 2012 OP
ROBROX Dec 2012 #1
longship Dec 2012 #7
TM99 Dec 2012 #8
Hong Kong Cavalier Dec 2012 #2
dipsydoodle Dec 2012 #5
Hong Kong Cavalier Dec 2012 #9
MrScorpio Dec 2012 #3
tclambert Dec 2012 #4
ehrnst Dec 2012 #6

Response to wyldwolf (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 01:19 PM

1. WHO KNOWS?

This teaser is to short without any clues and I did not see a borg cube. Why does a new movie have to be based on an old TV or movie? It would be bold to see something totally new like the generation movies

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ROBROX (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 09:25 AM

7. Why? Because Hollywood has long since lost all creative license.

It is all about making money. That's why we see nothing but an endless stream of rubbish, a never-ending stream of remakes, reboots, and sequels.

I used to love going to the cinema. I haven't done so regularly in a long time. There's just nothing left of creativity in the brand.

Oh! And JJ Abrams sucks! The last Star Trek movie was like he was swilling too much of the tepid, flavorless rice beer brewed in the Enterprise engineering spaces.

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:08 AM

8. I totally agree

I really wanted to like the last Star Trek movie. I have watched every TV show and every movie since I was a kid. It just wasn't the same. Something was missing.

That 'universe' is huge. If they want to make a new franchise, just find something interesting within it and go to town.

Endless reboots and redo's are getting on my nerves. I really don't want to see a reboot of The Wrath of Khan.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 02:37 PM

2. I didn't see Peter Weller in this trailer.

Isn't he in it, too?

I hope it's not Soren. Generations was a very flimsy movie with horrid plot holes, and Soren was really low on the scale of 'memorable' villains. Sure, he killed Kirk, but...*shrugs*

io9 has a frame-by-frame analysis of the teaser if you're so inclined to look at it here: io9 All the Clues and Easter Eggs...

Can't wait for this.

Reply to this post

Response to Hong Kong Cavalier (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 08:45 AM

5. Weller is listed as being in it.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:18 AM

9. Hooray.

I heard once they were going to do a sequel to Buckaroo Banzai.
Jackie Chan was going to play the villain.

It never made it out of pre-production.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 04:09 PM

3. Gary Mitchell or Garth of Izar

Which one?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 07:10 AM

4. That sounded like Patrick Stewart narrating.

(That's Captain Picard for the . . . never mind, everybody knows that.) He says, "I have returned."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread