HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Reading & Writing » Science Fiction (Group) » Library of America to Rel...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jul 24, 2012, 08:22 AM

Library of America to Release Classic 1950ís SF Novels in Two-Volume Set

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/library-of-america-to-release-classic-1950s-sf-novels-in-two-volume-set#more

I think I will end up busting the book budget for this

4 replies, 959 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Library of America to Release Classic 1950ís SF Novels in Two-Volume Set (Original post)
YankeyMCC Jul 2012 OP
SheilaT Jul 2012 #1
Onceuponalife Aug 2012 #2
klook Aug 2012 #3
Odin2005 Sep 2012 #4

Response to YankeyMCC (Original post)

Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:52 PM

1. I think I need to buy this also.

I've only read about half of those books, some of them when they first came out, so I can't recall anything about them.

I will be looking forward to read the Budrys novel as I hadn't heard of it before. He didn't write nearly enough, in my opinion. I had the amazing good fortune to meet him nearly twenty years ago, and he was a wonderful man.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 9, 2012, 09:29 PM

2. Great news!

I was about to complain about the absence of Arthur C. Clarke ( I am reading his fifties classic novel, The City and the Stars, and loving it). Then it dawned on me this is the Library of America, so they wouldn't be considering British novelists. I guess there needs to be a similar release of international SF authors. I grok the utter awesomeness that would ensue.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:07 AM

3. Excellent

I haven't gotten around to reading all of these, so this is a good nudge to fill those gaps. The Stars My Destination had a huge effect on me, as did The Space Merchants (aka Gravy Planet) More Than Human, and The Big Time.

The essays on the publisher's site are most interesting -- Neil Gaiman on Leiber? Connie Willis on Heinlein? Looking forward to spending some quality time perusing these! Thanks much.

Reply to this post

Response to klook (Reply #3)

Sun Sep 16, 2012, 01:00 AM

4. "The Stars My Destination" is really hard to find.

We have one old 60s copy at the thrift store selling for $15.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread