HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » Native American (Group) » Tribe plans to blockade p...

Wed May 23, 2012, 12:23 AM

Tribe plans to blockade part of Lake Shasta during war dance

The Winnemem Wintu Tribe is planning to hold a war dance that includes blockading a section of Lake Shasta on Memorial Day weekend, one of the busiest weekends for tourism on the lake.

The war dance is in response to the U.S. Forest Service's refusal to close down a section of the lake so it can hold a coming-of-age ceremony for teenage girls in the tribe. The forest service has not granted the tribe’s request this year.

“We have been backed into a corner with no other choice,” said Caleen Sisk, the Winnemem’s spiritual leader and chief. “But instead we have to fight simply to protect our young women from drunken harassment.”

(snip)

Sisk said this year’s ceremony is important because Marisa Sisk is expected to go through the ceremony. The 16-year-old niece of Caleen Sisk is expected to become the tribe’s next chief.

http://www.redding.com/news/2012/may/22/tribe-plans-close-part-lake-shasta-during-war-dan/

---------------------

(Cross-posted to GD too: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002718088 )

I have a question. The current chief has a daughter, but it's the niece who is next in line. Why would this be, and is it common?

2 replies, 790 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tribe plans to blockade part of Lake Shasta during war dance (Original post)
XemaSab May 2012 OP
d_r May 2012 #1
Ecumenist May 2012 #2

Response to XemaSab (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 01:42 AM

1. I hope that they are successful

and are able to have the ceremony in the way that they need.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to XemaSab (Original post)

Wed May 23, 2012, 02:27 AM

2. If they're Matrilineal, then it would make sense... the daughter of the chief's sister would

potentially be more "important" in terms of inheritance to Chief Sisk that her own daughter. Whereas, her daughter would be taken care of int hat respect by her male siblings, IIRC for the numerous cultural anthropology classes I took in university.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread