HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » African American (Group) » White Teacher Sues To Use...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 05:47 PM

White Teacher Sues To Use N-Word In Class

White Teacher Sues To Use N-Word In Class
Written by TheGrio on February 20, 2012 5:00 pm

By Jay Scott Smith

CHICAGO – A 48-year-old Chicago public school teacher used the “n-word” as part of a lesson on the perils and pitfalls of racism, and it landed him a five-day suspension from his job. The teacher is fighting back, filing a federal lawsuit against the district and claiming that his civil rights have been violated.

Lincoln Brown, a 21-year veteran teacher and native of Chicago’s Hyde Park, used the word in his sixth grade classroom at Murray Language Academy on Oct. 4, 2011 after discovering a note that female student was passing had the slur written on it as apart of some rap lyrics. Brown, who is white, used the note as an opportunity to teach lesson about racism in the context of Huckleberry Finn.

http://newsone.com/nation/thegrio6/lincoln-brown-white-teacher-sues-to-use-n-word-in-class/

-------------------------------------------------------------

3 replies, 1114 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply White Teacher Sues To Use N-Word In Class (Original post)
onpatrol98 Feb 2012 OP
rfranklin Feb 2012 #1
onpatrol98 Feb 2012 #3
marybourg Feb 2012 #2

Response to onpatrol98 (Original post)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:08 PM

1. News stories don't always tell the full story, but this sounds like the school district...

overreacted in this case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to rfranklin (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:29 PM

3. The Grio had more information...

The Grio had a bit more information. I hope you were able to follow that link. I'm thinking at the very least, it showed a lapse of sound judgment. If he got the idea for using the slur from the Southern Poverty Law Center, maybe he should sue them. It was clearly a bad idea. As for his 1st amendment rights, I'm doubtful. You really don't have the right to say anything you want as a teacher in a room full of 6th graders.

Reply to this post

Response to onpatrol98 (Original post)

Mon Feb 20, 2012, 06:23 PM

2. The Murray "Language Acadamy"

no less. Sounds like administration lost an opportunity to pursue their mission.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread