HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Race & Ethnicity » African American (Group) » xPost-- Don't stop there:...

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:45 PM

xPost-- Don't stop there: 9 other things we should have boycotted a while ago

Link: http://bossip.com/807280/other-people-and-places-we-should-boycott39204/

People are calling for a boycott of Florida and other states with Stand Your Ground laws and itís about damn time. Itís time our stars and regular people put their money where they beliefs are. Florida is a good start, but letís boycott these other entities:

Fox News - We basically donít watch Fox News anyway, but itís seriously about time we hit them with a boycott to make it official.

Disney World - Hereís why: Disney World controls Florida. If we boycott Disney World they could press Florida to repeal ďStand Your Ground.Ē

The NRA - They pushed the ďStand Your GroundĒ law, so itís time to show them weíre serious. Cancel memberships and cost them money.

Abercrombie And Fitch - They donít want Black people working the front of the store. Itís time to boycott their racism.

Cristal - They said they didnít want Black people buying their stuff. Well, donít worry weíre good.

Madea - SOME people think we should boycott Madea movies because they set us back. What say you?

Bleaching Covers - All these magazines that bleach the Black womensí skin on the covers should abandon these practices.

College Sports - They exploit young athletes Ė mostly Black Ė and punish them if they get any perks. They should get boycotted until these athletes are allowed to get paid.

5 replies, 1160 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply xPost-- Don't stop there: 9 other things we should have boycotted a while ago (Original post)
Jamaal510 Jul 2013 OP
Number23 Jul 2013 #1
Blue_Tires Jul 2013 #2
onpatrol98 Jul 2013 #3
Jamaal510 Jul 2013 #4
heaven05 Jul 2013 #5

Response to Jamaal510 (Original post)

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:23 PM

1. Seriously co-sign on the Fox News boycott

But like she said, most black people don't watch that crap anyway, so...

Every time I see a Shell oil sign, I think about the damage the company is doing in Nigeria and I tend to keep looking if I need gas.

Don't get the boycott Disney angle. If Walt Disney's racist foolishness didn't cause you to boycott Disneyworld before, I don't see what the difference is now! http://www.cracked.com/article_15677_the-9-most-racist-disney-characters.html

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 23, 2013, 08:48 AM

2. College sports is a little different

instead of boycotting, a group of athletes need to follow the Curt Flood example and take the NCAA to the Supreme Court

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2013, 07:54 AM

3. Hmm....

Fox News - Won't feel the boycott from us, because we're not watching them anyway. It would be like boycotting a local store, you've never entered. I'm not sure the store owner would care. Not to mention, here lately, I feel like I need to boycott them all. None of them care what I think.

Disney World - I'm not sure people would get the correlation. But, I feel ya on that one.

The NRA - Yes. We should tell all 4 black people to leave.

Abercrombie and Fitch - There are black people who still do business with them?

Cristal - I don't know this company.

Madea - I actually take a different approach with the Madea movies. I think because we have so few black producers and screenwriters, etc...we tend to expect them to serve every purpose. So, when one makes a stupid movie or does something that we don't appreciate or really feels supports the black community positively, we attempt to kill 'em. I think we should instead fund more screenwriters and producers, so that we get more diversity. We want more, not less. If you think about it, when was the last time a white producer or writer was boycotted for not representing the white community well.

Bleaching Covers - I agree.

College Sports - Athletes do get paid. They get scholarships that cover tuition, room & board, etc of varying levels. It's the community that supports college sports that have allowed this unbalance to occur. We don't celebrate academics or the band in the same way. So, until we pay the band, and until we pay the other students...nope, I'm not really in the camp that athletes should get paid. To my mind, that would be just one more example of turning college athletes into "gods".

The idea is to get a scholarship to pay for college --- the college prepares you for a job. The idea of the band... get a scholarship to pay for college --- the college prepares you for a job. Work study, academic scholarships, etc. Now, some scholarships suck, that's true. So offer better scholarships.

Not to mention, larger colleges differ greatly from smaller colleges...would this new rule apply to all colleges?

Reply to this post

Response to onpatrol98 (Reply #3)

Wed Jul 24, 2013, 11:27 AM

4. "The NRA - Yes. We should tell all 4 black people to leave."

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 24, 2013, 12:43 PM

5. Cristal?

sorry, I hadn't heard that one. Is that the champagne>?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread