HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » Dedicated to all who serv...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 01:19 PM

Dedicated to all who served in Vietnam.

3 replies, 823 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dedicated to all who served in Vietnam. (Original post)
LiberalLoner Apr 2013 OP
LiberalLoner Apr 2013 #1
pinboy3niner Apr 2013 #2
LiberalLoner Apr 2013 #3

Response to LiberalLoner (Original post)

Tue Apr 9, 2013, 04:52 PM

1. And one more song. This one never fails to leave me in tears.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LiberalLoner (Original post)

Thu Apr 11, 2013, 10:18 AM

2. Those of us who seved in VN are reluctant to self-congratulate

There were (and are still, for many) hard times, but after the dedication of the Wall VN vets got a lot of attention. We may still march in the obligatory parades, but our main focus is on justice for the troops and vets who followed us. Like those who were saddled with 'Stop-Loss' and multiple mandatory combat tours.

Vietnam Veterans of America was founded with the declaration that that never again would one generation of veterans abandon another.

An aside: Many years ago I transcribed the lyrics of 'Goodnight Saigon' from a cassette tape for a good friend of mine. She'd been an Army nurse at the evac hospital I went through, and she'd asked me for the lyrics. Having to play the song over and over again to get the lyrics right was tough!

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 11, 2013, 02:16 PM

3. That's the true spirit of a soldier. Soldiers are generally the most selfless people I've known.

I posted as much as anything to say, there are so many of us who were witness to your pain. We didn't know what to do to make anything better but we cared very much. Although there were people who spat on you and called you names, there were those of us - family members, friends, lovers - who cared more deeply than you will perhaps ever know.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread