HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » Veterans may have been ex...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:00 AM

Veterans may have been exposed to HIV

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/local/veterans-may-have-been-exposed-to-hiv

Veterans may have been exposed to HIV
Anthony Congi
Posted by: Liz Reiman
Published : Saturday, 12 Jan 2013, 6:41 PM EST

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - More than 700 Veterans could have potentially been exposed to several deadly viruses including Hepatitis B, C, and H.I.V.

Now, hundreds of Veterans will need to have a blood test Monday to see if there's a chance they were infected.

In November, while conducting inspection rounds at the Buffalo VA Hospital, VA Western New York Healthcare System officials discovered insulin pens meant for individual use, were not properly labeled. They may have been used on more than one patient between October 19 and November 1.

It is evident they brought this new technology in two years ago, and did not properly put a protocol in place to ensure that nurses knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that no insulin pens should be used on more than one patient.

2 replies, 598 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Veterans may have been exposed to HIV (Original post)
unhappycamper Jan 2013 OP
NYC_SKP Jan 2013 #1
2pooped2pop Jan 2013 #2

Response to unhappycamper (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:10 AM

1. OFFS

At what point do we just become honest and call this neglectful treatment outright abuse?

K/R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to unhappycamper (Original post)

Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:19 AM

2. dayum,

but those pens only push out, there is no draw back in as with needles. If they used new tips with each person, I would hope that the incidence of cross infection would be much much less than what I first imagined.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread