HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » Veterans (Group) » Congress supports buildin...

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:17 PM

Congress supports building two submarines per year

Congress supports building two submarines per year
By Jennifer McDermott
Publication: theday.com
Published 12/05/2012 12:00 AM
Updated 12/05/2012 11:53 PM

Reversing the president’s decision to delay the purchase of one Virginia-class submarine was the top priority this year for submarine advocates in Congress, U.S. Rep. Joe Courtney said Wednesday.

The conference committee will begin working out the differences between the Senate and House versions of the bill next week. Both contain $778 million in advance procurement funding so the Navy can purchase two Virginia-class submarines in 2014, which effectively locks the funding into the final authorization act.

The Senate passed the $631 billion defense bill, 98-0, Tuesday night; the House approved it in May.

Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., cautioned that the “Senate’s work on defense is not completed with the passage of this bill.” Congress has until the end of the year to prevent $1.2 trillion in automatic spending cuts — known as sequestration — from taking effect Jan. 2.

unhappycamper comment: Being as these things cost $5 ~ $7 billion dollars each, I guess things are fine at the House of Representatives.

1 replies, 778 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Congress supports building two submarines per year (Original post)
unhappycamper Dec 2012 OP
Scuba Dec 2012 #1

Response to unhappycamper (Original post)

Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

1. $7 Billion a pop (without the over-runs). Doncha feel safer?

Remind me again how many subs Al Queda has, please.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread