HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Foreign Affairs & National Security » National Security & Defense (Group) » If we picked up and walke...

Sun Oct 7, 2012, 08:29 PM

If we picked up and walked away from Afghanistan today, what would be the major strategic losses?

Are there any strategic losses by walking away from Afghanistan, leaving it as it is now, and never looking back?

5 replies, 717 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply If we picked up and walked away from Afghanistan today, what would be the major strategic losses? (Original post)
NNguyenMD Oct 2012 OP
Kolesar Oct 2012 #1
southernyankeebelle Oct 2012 #2
mipit Oct 2012 #3
MrMickeysMom Oct 2012 #4
JLII Dec 2012 #5

Response to NNguyenMD (Original post)

Sun Oct 7, 2012, 08:34 PM

1. Pakistan won't let us kill "our enemies" from Pakistan

So, Afghanistan is "our" base of operations. At least that's how I understand it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Oct 7, 2012, 08:50 PM

2. Just think of our dead soldiers who died and will never come back. That says it all to me.

It makes me so sad.

Reply to this post

Tue Oct 9, 2012, 09:16 AM

3. America turning into military machine!

For the last decade, since America started a number of never ending military operations in the Middle East, our government increased manufacture of weapons as well as the weapons export. This is very frightening because it seems our leaders forgot about the rest of vital spheres, especially social one. It was reported that financing of social programs already decreased by 45% and in future it will be even lower. I'm very concerned because the civic organization I represent as well as the rest of funds won't be able to help people, because we will have to find ways to survive ourselves. In such a way the really important things are ignored by our government because all its attention is caught by Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and other Middle Eastern states where our leaders pursue some dubious interests that are much more important for them than America's home problems. This is very sad, but it's up to us to change the situation or our war machine will consume us!

Reply to this post

Response to mipit (Reply #3)

Tue Oct 16, 2012, 03:05 PM

4. I'd say the machine has had a pretty full meal already...

... and welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 9, 2012, 02:53 PM

5. If we picked up and walked away from Afghanistan today, what would be the major strategic losses?

Zed. Nada. None.

The big changes would be returning risk to the European heroin trade and declining value of Halliburton, Academi, and similar parasites at the throat of US taxpayers.

The nation that returned The Inheritor, Junebug Bush, to office in 2004 is a degenerate nation.

Nothing has changed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread