HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » What gun control legislat...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:11 PM

What gun control legislation do you REALISTICALLY belive...

has a chance of being passed in the coming year?

Please note... I'm asking what gun control legislation do you think has a fair to good to very likely chance of passing... not what you'd want, like or wish to see passed, or conversely, what you don't or wouldn't like to see passed).

1) End of private sales of firearms, unless conducted via an FFL.
Fee will be fixed and minimal.

2) Manufacture and sales of magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds to civilians, will be prohibited. Existing magazines will be grandfathered.

3) A renewed AWB that will be stricter and without the "loopholes" of the previous ban including, but not limited to the following...

No sunset provision...

Banned features definition will be changed to read "one or more of the following..." rather than the current "two or more of the following".

Additional and more inclusive definitions of banned features.. ie: hand guards, thumbhole stocks, etc.

Ban on manufacture and sales to civilians of stripped receivers that could be assembled into complete "assault rifles". Possible exception
if to be used as replacement for a damaged or unusable receiver.

Existing firearms will be grandfathered. Transfer or sales to another private citizen prohibited.

Can only be passed along or transferred via an inheritance.

4) A voluntary buy-back program.

5) Expansion and overhaul of the NICS system with incentives for States to provide/submit mental health records.

6) Reporting of multiple sales for all firearms.

7) Stricter penalties for straw purchases.

8) Ban on online ammo sales.

Ohhh... and IBTY (In Before The Yup)

13 replies, 1847 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply What gun control legislation do you REALISTICALLY belive... (Original post)
-..__... Dec 2012 OP
Recursion Dec 2012 #1
-..__... Dec 2012 #2
Tuesday Afternoon Dec 2012 #3
shadowrider Dec 2012 #12
Pullo Dec 2012 #4
Dr_Scholl Dec 2012 #5
Glassunion Dec 2012 #6
drhobo Dec 2012 #7
ileus Dec 2012 #8
former-republican Dec 2012 #9
Lurks Often Dec 2012 #10
Eleanors38 Dec 2012 #11
bobclark86 Dec 2012 #13

Response to -..__... (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:16 PM

1. Online ammo, magazines > 10

We could probably pass an AWB with "one or more", meaning people will buy Mini-14's instead of AR-15's, or AR-15's with fixed magazines.

All private sales through an FFL

Voluntary buybacks on all of those

I doubt we could do much about handguns, sadly

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Recursion (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:45 PM

2. That could be covered by limiting fixed mags to 10 rounds for centerfire calilbers.

Fixed mag AR's are a PITA and slower to load than any bolt action.

I'd also expect a ban on any "bullet button" type devices.

Handguard, heat shield, "shoulder thing that goes up" definitions would cover Mini-14/Mini-30 model firearms.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 09:10 PM

3. This all sounds reasonable.

Last edited Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 PM - Edit history (1)

God forbid the next motherfucker that goes postal and shoots up any goddamn thing.

I wonder what or if the next reasonable restrictions will be.

Wonder how slippery is this slope.

Shall we all go for a ride and see?

Yup.

Reply to this post

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 01:34 PM

12. IMO, these restrictions will do nothing

since they all pertain to legal, law-abiding owners. It's the criminal element, plus mentally ill people getting their hands on them we have to worry about.

Until someone comes forward (who is in a position of power) and puts forth a program to deal with:

1) Criminals
2) Mentally ill

All new restrictions won't be worth the paper they're written on.

Just my opinion

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:42 PM

4. OK, here's what I think MAY happen this year.

I know emotions are very high right now, but if I were betting my $$$, I would wager against any type of gun ban, "assault" weapons or otherwise, making it through congress.

A more straightforward bill banning new manufacture and importation of magazines exceeding 10 round capacity stands a better chance of surviving congress. I doubt it would do anything to restrict the tens of millions(or more) of these magazines already in circulation. I think a limited bill like this, that doesn't touch regulating the firearms themselves, stands a stronger chance of passing. I still wouldn't put my money on it, however.

Again, the above doesn't represent my views on the subject, its only my observation of the current political landscape. It has nothing to do with opinion on the effectiveness of such measures aimed at reducing firearm-related crimes.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:42 AM

5. I don't think ANY gun control legislation has a chance.

With the Republicans in control of the House, are you kidding me?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 25, 2012, 01:25 AM

6. I put it out there with this one.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 06:07 PM

7. mental health checks maybe nithing else

I would give a one in four chance of improving mental health information on background checks passing. If presented alone it would likely pass but it will be bundled with items the house won't touch.

Nothing will pass because neither side will compromise. Most of the right won't consider giving something up. The few that might would want a trade where new freedoms (nationwide cc recognition) are on the table. The left seems to want to overreach (Feinstein's bill) or if they are of the 'lets compromise ' attitude their idea of compromise is letting gun owners keep a few freedoms.

If they cant reach a deal on the financial future of the country, what chance is there of finding a middleground on the most polarized political issue?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 28, 2012, 07:35 PM

8. Let's hope only #2

5,6,7 ok by me.

private sales thru a FFL would be ok IMHO.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:24 AM

9. just this

Stricter penalties for straw purchases

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 29, 2012, 03:41 PM

10. Minimal or none

What is the most important thing to the average member of Congress: Their seat.

Those in states or districts that have a large number of gun-owners recognize that voting for any stringent control will cost them their seats in 2014.

Gun Control does not fall into a strict Democrat/Republican divide, there are any number of members of
Congress, including Harry Reid, that are considered pro-gun.

Congress can look back to the 1994 AWB and realize that another attempt will likely cause them to lose their seat. It has been suggested that Al Gore's views on gun control is one of the things that cost him his home state of TN in the 2000 election. If he had carried TN, then what happened in FL would not have mattered.

The NRA continues to be feared, because more often then not, they can deliver on what they say in an election and get the vote out and the donations to a candidate up.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 PM

11. Maybe some kind of grandfathered mag cap has a chance

This might for a time temper the urge to ban, meaningless as this will be.

What will be unfortunately missed is the simple act by Congress to open NICS up to those states which exercise their power to require all private sales be thru FFLs.

Missed also would be a Clinton-type "Safe Schools Act" which would allow local school districts to apply for monies to fund increased security/protective measures to augment the 10,000 armed security ALREADY in place, without requirements that schools partake, while not burdening local districts with expense.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 30, 2012, 03:28 PM

13. What do I think of them, or what do I think will pass?

2) and 3) are the only ones being put on the table at this point (therefor what actually has a theoretical chance of being passed). If the GOP keeps up its track record, we won't see either one. We may see a watered-down version of 3) if we see it come through at all.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread