HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » A Message To The NRA From...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:00 PM

A Message To The NRA From Robert E. Lee

Guys, it's been done. Really. This whole argument you have about how ordinary folks need their AR-15s to protect their rights from the government. And someday the authorities might try to round all your firearms up, but you're going to fight, and...

Totally did it. We took that little notion about as far as it could go. How do I know this? Because I'm the poor son of a bitch who tried it. And as they say, things went south.

What do you think the Confederacy was? It was the largest, most well-organized American militia group that ever tried to take on the US military. And they went after us like a pack of pitbulls going through an old folks home. It was not pretty. And when your time comes, you and your camping buddies from the real estate firm are not going to last anywhere near as long as we did, okay? You'll get a million views on YouTube, they'll pop you into a federal prison, and nothing will be any different.

Read the rest here:
http://www.paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-message-to-nra-from-robert-e-lee.html

16 replies, 1349 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Message To The NRA From Robert E. Lee (Original post)
paulbibeau Dec 2012 OP
Schema Thing Dec 2012 #1
Glaug-Eldare Dec 2012 #2
Eleanors38 Dec 2012 #3
PavePusher Dec 2012 #6
Lizzie Poppet Dec 2012 #4
GreenStormCloud Dec 2012 #10
gejohnston Dec 2012 #5
ellisonz Dec 2012 #7
paulbibeau Dec 2012 #8
ellisonz Dec 2012 #9
gejohnston Dec 2012 #11
ellisonz Dec 2012 #12
GreenStormCloud Dec 2012 #13
Tuesday Afternoon Dec 2012 #14
paulbibeau Dec 2012 #15
Tuesday Afternoon Dec 2012 #16

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:14 PM

1. That's funny. Hey Don Davis, take a look here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:19 PM

2. I'll bookmark this so I can check if North Vietnam's surrendered a year from now. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:22 PM

3. Those who fail to learn from history.....nt

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:06 PM

6. Or Lybia. Syria. Nicaragua. El Salvador..... n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:38 PM

4. All of those claims pre-suppose an intact military.

Obviously a bunch of yahoos in Cabela's hunting camo armed only with rifles wouldn't stand a chance against a fully intact military. That's Captain Obvious Hall of Fame level stuff.

But there are a whole bunch of perfectly plausible scenarios in which the military would either be divided (as has occurred in several modern civil wars, and to some degree our own) or would have become severely fragmented, rendering many of the more complex weapons and communications systems inoperable due to logistics failures (and sabotage). It's those systems that give a modern military its advantage over a bunch of riflemen.

A widespread societal breakdown-cum-insurrection today wouldn't be along easily-defined north/south geographical lines...one look at those "purple state" maps shows that. It would be a huge mix-up...and the military would reflect that chaos. While today's military has something of a conservative lean, it's still pretty representative of the general population. Any cause for such an insurrection would be reacted to by the military in a similar way to the general population. Again, we've seen this in other nations' civil wars over the last few decades. Part of the military remains loyal, part goes over to the insurrectionist side. BOTH lose considerable effectiveness. In these scenarios, civilian "irregulars" do indeed play a part.

Oh, and it should be pointed out that the Confederate Army (and make no mistake: it was a proper army, not a militia) very nearly won. It did win most of the early battles of consequence, but didn't get the knockout blow it needed. The Union then proceeded to the inevitable victory that the better-industrialized side will tend to attain in any longer term struggle. But that was a fight between two geographically-distinct, separate national entities. A modern American Civil War wouldn't be like that.

Reply to this post

Response to Lizzie Poppet (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:27 PM

10. A dropped pack of cigars made the difference.

Lee's Special Order # 191, wrapped around some cigars, was found by one of McClellen's men. McClellen then knew Lee's plans and was able to defeat Lee. Otherwise it is likely that Lee would have defeated the cautious McClellen.

France and England were going to recognize the Confederacy and press Lincoln to abandon the war if there was another decisive Confederate victory.

It was that close.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:03 PM

5. the south wasn't a milita for the most part

they had a draft. Many resisted that draft, and the cops that chased them had a low life expectancy. Many of the people who worked in the CSA's "pentagon" type places were loyal to the US and regularly sent intelligence. The rented slave, who served coffee and donuts to Davis' staff during high level meetings was in fact a university educated free person with a photographic memory, who passed the top secret plans to her "owner" who passed it to the next link in the the spy network.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bowser

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:03 PM

7. Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:20 PM

8. Thank you!

I noticed that every once in awhile people would post my stuff... so I started thinking I should post my damn stuff.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:27 PM

9. Post away!

And ignore the haters. I thought your blog was spot on. I was watching Larry Pratt of Gun Owners of America the other night being challenged by Chris Matthews to name a time when they needed guns to overthrow the government: he did all he could to avoid spouting: the Civil War.

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:31 PM

11. Poor choice, but that's Larry Pratt

a better response would be Athens, TN, in the 1940s.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:33 PM

12. That's exactly what Larry Pratt said.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:36 PM

13. There have been four times in the 20th century when citizens took up arms.

Battle of Columbus, NM - Citizens help the U.S. Army against Panco Villa raid
Battle of Blair Mountain - Mine workers battle for days against Coal Mine Management guards. Over a million shots fired.
Battle of Athens, TN - Citizens battled corrupt country government
Deacons for Defense and Justice - Black milita that provided security for the civil rights movement. Several gun battles with the KKK.

There may be more, but those are the ones that I know of.

Reply to this post

Response to GreenStormCloud (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:03 PM

14. appears that paul will only talk to ellisonz. whassup widdat?

Reply to this post

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #14)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:26 PM

15. Hi everybody.

Good enough?

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:29 PM

16. high back

gotta admit the dark side is looking pretty vanilla . . .

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread