HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Brownell's sells 3.5 year...

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:55 PM

Brownell's sells 3.5 years of high-cap magazines in 5 days.

Found via reddit.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1405403____________Brownells_____please__I_jest_I_jest__don_t_beat_me_.html

"To shed some more light on the magazine situation at present, it really has been unprecedented in the last 5 days. During a roughly the 36 hour period from Sunday afternoon to Monday evening we sold the "average demand" equivalent of about 3 1/2 years worth of PMAGS, and and an even greater amount of our Brownells magazines. We're working like crazy to get these orders to you as quickly as possible."

24 replies, 2183 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Brownell's sells 3.5 years of high-cap magazines in 5 days. (Original post)
Atypical Liberal Dec 2012 OP
slackmaster Dec 2012 #1
msongs Dec 2012 #2
maxsolomon Dec 2012 #3
villager Dec 2012 #4
Atypical Liberal Dec 2012 #5
villager Dec 2012 #6
-..__... Dec 2012 #9
rl6214 Dec 2012 #22
-..__... Dec 2012 #24
spin Dec 2012 #7
slackmaster Dec 2012 #13
ileus Dec 2012 #8
jpak Dec 2012 #10
Atypical Liberal Dec 2012 #11
jpak Dec 2012 #12
-..__... Dec 2012 #14
slackmaster Dec 2012 #15
Tuesday Afternoon Dec 2012 #16
jpak Dec 2012 #17
Tuesday Afternoon Dec 2012 #18
-..__... Dec 2012 #19
bobclark86 Dec 2012 #20
-..__... Dec 2012 #21
rl6214 Dec 2012 #23

Response to Atypical Liberal (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:57 PM

1. That horse left the barn decades ago

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:57 PM

2. sounds like some sort of mass mental illness or hysteria taking over nt

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 05:59 PM

3. past tense

took over. years ago.

the carnage will continue apace for decades hence.

Reply to this post

Response to maxsolomon (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:19 PM

4. The lust for such things is a strong indicator of such illness

The surge in buying after the massacre of children confirms it

Reply to this post

Response to villager (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:25 PM

5. You are assinging the wrong causation to it.

It's not the massacre that motivates this, it is the impending ban.

Bans drive sales.

Reply to this post

Response to Atypical Liberal (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:39 PM

6. No, it's the thought of an addict being deprived of that which he's addicted to...

...that drives sales, which slow not a jot even with blood all over the floor....

Reply to this post

Response to msongs (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:39 PM

9. Magazine speculators...

gambling that buying a few P-Mags now at current prices, will pay-off by selling them at %300 mark-up (or more), in the future.

And yes... any potential legislation may or may not prohibit private sales, and even if it does, the buyers will still have a few months time window to sell them before the ban takes effect.

Reply to this post

Response to -..__... (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:45 AM

22. Check gunbroker, the speculation is paying off

Reply to this post

Response to rl6214 (Reply #22)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:17 AM

24. Not just Gunbroker...

it's everywhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:14 PM

7. The biggest reason that "black rifles" are so popular today is the original AWB. ...

All the debate prior to the passage of this law caused many shooters to develop an interest in owning a semi-auto rifle that was similar to the fully automatic or burst fire rifles used by military forces. Before the publicity most shooters felt they were inaccurate and unreliable. While many of the shooters I knew did own semi-auto pistols with magazines larger than 10 rounds, they could see little use for a "black rifle."

The AWB never really banned these weapons as their manufacturers merely changed their cosmetic appearance and sold them for an increased price. During the ban, hi-cap magazines manufactured prior to a certain cut off date were always available but simply more expensive.

The shooters who did buy these weapons found that black rifles were surprising accurate and actually quite reliable. They also were modular and consequently an aftermarket sprung up to provide parts and accessories.

It's not at all surprising that the original AWB was a failure and allowed to sunset. It was once again proof that "banning" something rarely works. Gun control also cost the Democratic Party many elections at the local and congressional level and contributed to the fact that some good Democrats lost their presidential races.

But now we are again pushing for another assault weapons ban. Doing something over and over and expecting different results has been said to be a definition of insanity. We once again see black rifles, semi-auto pistols and hi-cap magazines FLYING off the shelves of gun stores. For those who hope to stop the sale of such weapons this must be discouraging but it was predictable.

I should note that perhaps this time legislation can be written to actually curtail or limit the sale of such weapons but millions of these weapons will be in civilian hands before this can be accomplished.

Anyone who believes that these weapons will be confiscated in the next decade or two is a dreamer living in a fantasy world. In order to confiscate these weapons they first have to be registered. Many states such as Florida do no require registration and currently the owners can always sell them privately which would make tracking them even more difficult.

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:14 PM

13. This right here, is the truth

I know many, many people who bought AR-15 type rifles here in California because of the impending state ban back in 1999. Yes, that was smack-dab in the middle of the 10-year federal ban that expired in 2004.

Here's an odd tidbit of history for people who aren't aware of it: In 1999 in California, just as in most states, you could buy what was known as a "post-ban" configuration AR-15; one that was compliant with existing federal law at the time: No folding stock, no bayonet mount, no threaded muzzle.

In 2000 everyone in California who owned an AR-15 type rifle, as defined by features that include a list of makes and models, had to register their rifles with the state Department of Justice. Many people did, including myself.

In 2004 the federal ban expired. We in California who owned lawfully registered black rifles, and other types of firearms, could then reconfigure them into (federal) pre-ban configurations.

I rebuilt one of my registered AR-15s, one with a home-built lower receiver (we had no 3-D printers then, only milling machines), using a surplus M16A2 parts kit that was imported from Chile. All of the parts except for the selective-fire components were included. So my rifle now has nearly the external appearance of a military M16A2, except it's semiautomatic only and the color of the lower receiver doesn't match the rest. It handles very well, and is accurate and reliable.

It's not uncommon to see fully functional AR-15s in California with detachable magazines and all the original features, because many, many people bought them in advance of the permanent state ban.

That is an unintended consequence of the legislation. What's happening nationwide right now in sales of modern sporting rifles, magazines, parts, and ammunition is a repeat of what happened in California, only on a much broader scale. Now many more people are aware of what's going on because of modern media. The original federal ban took a lot of people by surprise.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 PM

8. Try finding a upper or any parts for an upper.

I'd put off buying a upper for my "current" "build" because I couldn't decide on what caliber.

I want a Hunting AR...

6.8 Ammo costly along with BCG's and mags but it seems like the perfect whitetail round. I still may end up with one of these puppies.

6.8 Wolf was suppose to come thru with inexpensive bulk ammo making it a great plinker and excellent hunting upper. But the wolf just never happened (last I checked) plus they were 20-30% more costly than a 6.8 upper.

300 black out...while limited on range ammo costs were coming down pretty quick and some good deer rounds were starting to be produced. PSA just never had them in stock because the round was catching on like wildfire.

I should have just bought one of the 289 buck 556 uppers and put my CMMG conversion in it and called it quits.

It's looking like the 6.8 is going to end up being my choice...now if I could only find one in stock along with a BCG and mags.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:54 PM

10. Poor widdle gun nuts - the strain must be horrible

yup

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 07:55 PM

11. Consider that the ban in 5 days has put 3.5 years of magazines in the field.

Reply to this post

Response to Atypical Liberal (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:10 PM

12. Let us hope the ban is grandfathered and is a felony

yup

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:16 PM

14. Think about what you just posted...

Let us hope the ban is granfathered and a felony

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 PM

15. I doubt that would have any chance of passing the House. Maybe not even the Senate.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 PM

16. you want it passed AND retroacted?

isn't that kind of like a post-birth abortion?

Reply to this post

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:25 PM

17. Nope - no grandfathered pre-ban hi cap clips

yup

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #17)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:27 PM

18. is that like a pre-owned car?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:11 PM

19. But, that's not what you posted here...

or, was that "rhetorical"?

Let us hope the ban is grandfathered and is a felony

http://www.democraticunderground.com/117295819#post12

Keep struggling, and hang in there... you're bound to get something right eventually.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 PM

20. Yeah... Diane Feinstein already said no n/t

Reply to this post

Response to bobclark86 (Reply #20)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:11 PM

21. No confiscation, felony conviction, jail time...

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #10)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:47 AM

23. And another insightful post from 6pak

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread