HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Hipsters Who Hunt: More l...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:00 PM

Hipsters Who Hunt: More liberals are shooting their own supper.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by krispos42 (a host of the Gun Control & RKBA group).

Found this interesting. From Slate:

Hunting is undeniably in vogue among the bearded, bicycle-riding, locavore set. The new trend might even be partly behind a recent 9 percent increase from 2006 to 2011 in the number of hunters in the United States after years of decline. Many of these new hunters are taking up the activity for ethical and environmental reasons.

“It feels more responsible and ecologically sound to eat an animal that was raised wild and natural in my local habitat than to eat a cow that was fattened up on grain or even hay, which is inevitably harvested with fuel-hungry machines,” writes Christie Aschwanden, a self-described “tree-hugging former vegetarian.”

One problem in deer management is that many hunters are mostly interested in taking big bucks with impressive antlers. But removing bucks doesn’t do much to reduce populations. The number of does needs to be brought down to reduce the number of fawns born that season. Enter the hipster hunter, who is out in the woods for meat, not antlers, and is happy to shoot a tastier, smaller doe.

Changing blue state mores about hunting may help solve many of the problems of wildlife-human conflict. But there is one other solution: getting people out of the sprawl and into cities, where efficiencies of scale and density reduce the per-capita impacts on the environment while simultaneously creating more space for the rest of nature. I believe this is possible, given the right constellation of policies, incentives, cultural shifts, and energy prices. Right now, many people live surrounded by nature but don’t understand it—the Bambi and ’burbs problem. But it is possible to become simultaneously more urban and more nature savvy. Then we can leave the woods to the deer and turkeys, except when we visit to admire them and/or shoot them for dinner.

5 replies, 1040 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hipsters Who Hunt: More liberals are shooting their own supper. (Original post)
Recursion Dec 2012 OP
gejohnston Dec 2012 #1
KWorth Dec 2012 #2
Glassunion Dec 2012 #3
ileus Dec 2012 #4
krispos42 Dec 2012 #5

Response to Recursion (Original post)

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:07 PM

1. not at all surprised.

spend a day at a factory farm, slaughterhouse, or corporate feedlot the modern option of getting meat wrapped in cellophane and Styrofoam won't look so civilized.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:10 PM

2. I've hunted my whole life for my food.

It's tastier, more responsible and I've seen those factory farms and how the animals are treated there, no thank you.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 01:21 PM

3. At least the skinny jeans won't get snagged in the underbrush.

Also make sure that the PBR stays in the Mini.

Fri Dec 7, 2012, 02:56 PM

5. Locking

This belongs in Outdoor Life, as it pertains to hunting, a shooting sport.

Regards,
Krispos42, Group Host