HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Maybe these kids are onto...

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:16 AM

Maybe these kids are onto something

Young people are not exactly renowned for their judgment.

We are, after all, talking about an age group that has to be told it is a bad idea to text while doing 70. Or drink alcohol ítil it spews from your nostrils. Or wear a T-shirt and flip-flops to interview for the office job.

So no, judgment is not their forte. Yet even they have enough sense to steer clear of the gun dorm.

You havenít heard about the gun dorm? Well, back in August, the University of Colorado announced it was segregating students with concealed carry permits in dorms of their own on its campuses in Boulder and Colorado Springs. This, after the state Supreme Court upheld a lower court ruling that struck down the schoolís ban on people bringing guns on campus. So now, a student 21 years or older who has a permit may be armed in the dorm or even in class, though not, for some reason, at a school event requiring a ticket.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/12/04/3126776/gun-control-maybe-these-kids-are.html#storylink=cpy

11 replies, 1320 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to mgc1961 (Original post)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:28 AM

1. How many 21 year old college students live in the dorms?

there might be a simpler answer.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hack89 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:32 AM

3. Add "...and have enough extra money to afford a gun"

And the answer becomes self-evident.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 09:31 AM

2. When I was an undergraduate, the reason I lived in on-campus housing for two years was financial

If I could have afforded a luxury like a firearm, I would have rented a nicer place off campus. Of course I wasn't yet 21 and live in a state where a concealed weapons permit is almost impossible to get, but that's beside the point. I was focused on studying. Well, on women AND studying. And keeping my bills paid. I was young and athletic, and owned absolutely nothing that was worth stealing except my camera.

And for my junior and senior years I did just that, but I still didn't have money for any kind of discretionary purchases. I was too busy working, sometimes two part-time jobs, to pay my way through school.

I ended up with a degree from a top-tier university and debt-free, but it took nearly a year before I could afford even basic things like a car because like most college graduates I couldn't just walk into a decent job right away. I couldn't afford a firearm until almost four years after finishing my bachelor's. And I did buy one then. My parents never gave me any significant amount of money, and I never took out a student loan or received a grant from anyone.

Any young person who can afford a gun isn't going to be living in the dorms.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 12:58 PM

4. You are almost two weeks late on this one.

Reply to this post

Response to Jenoch (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 02:57 PM

5. Yep, and the responses are just as lame.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 03:29 PM

7. At least we can calm down about guns on campus

doesn't appear to much of an issue in any respect.

What is your next source of moral panic?

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 03:35 PM

8. Why do you say that?

There is just as much proof for the responses that there are other reasons for the situation as there are for your opinion on the subject.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 03:03 PM

6. Said it before, I'll say it again:

First, look at the numbers. First, take all the students. Then, subtract the ones who aren't eligible for a permit because of age or other reasons. That leaves students 21 and over, with clean backgrounds. Then, subtract the number of eligible students who don't have a permit because they don't want or need one. That leaves a tiny little fraction of the student body that could even theoretically benefit from the gun dorm.

Now, put yourself in the shoes of one of those students. Do you want to live in a segregated dorm, separated from your friends and classmates? Do you want to broadcast the fact that you carry a gun, and invite scorn from those who object? Do you want to live on campus if you have the means to live off? Is carrying on campus that important to you?

It would be a very odd duck, indeed, to take up the offer of the gun dorm instead of living off-campus or just leaving the piece at home.

Reply to this post

Response to Glaug-Eldare (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 03:45 PM

9. I would get a premit just to have a dorm to myself.

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 04:29 PM

10. No waiting for the laundry machines, I suppose!

Seems like UC would rather throw money out the window than desegregate. Reminds me of a few other institutions of higher learning in the past...

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 5, 2012, 04:44 PM

11. I really doubt you get a dorm of your own, but it would be worth a try

I suspect the articles are inaccurately written: rather, my guess is that the dorms in question allow firearms, but anyone can live there so long as they don't care about the 'firearms-allowed' aspect (most special housing units on campuses are like this, except men-only and women-only dorms). So I'm sure those dorms are as full as any other right now, it's just that no one has requested to use the firearm facilities...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread