HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Changes at CSPD after man...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:07 AM

Changes at CSPD after man wrongly arrested for carrying gun

Perhaps some of you remember I posted this a few months back, the case has been resolved but James Sorenson is still considering a law suit.

I'm a little up in the air on the suit because I know it's going to come out of my pocket when CSPD loses.

http://www.krdo.com/news/Changes-at-CSPD-after-man-wrongly-arrested-for-carrying-gun/-/417220/17497122/-/g25s7oz/-/index.html

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Policy changes have been made at the Colorado Springs Police Department after the mistaken arrest of a man who was carrying an unconcealed weapon. It's still not clear if officers were disciplined.

The four CSPD sergeants, Lance Lazoff, Tim Stankey, Roger Vargasen and Larry Morgan, and three officers, Joe Brown, Clay Sunada, and Bob Peltz, who were involved in the incident were all unaware that carrying a gun in a city park is perfectly legal, and has been since gun laws changed statewide in 2003.The court summons against Sorensen was dismissed two days later after police realized their mistake.

Bullshit, they didn't know a 10 year old law? They also told Mr. Sorensen "ignorance of the law is no excuse"

Sorensen said he wants a public apology from all of the officers involved in the incident. He said he doesn't know if he'll pursue a lawsuit, but confirmed that he hired an attorney.

Sgt. Larry Morgan, who told Sorensen: "You're about to get the s**t kicked out of you," when Sorensen twice refused to put his hands in the air, was asked about his threat.

"It was necessary," Morgan said. "It was effective and it worked, period."

Translation "Hey, it's Colorado Springs I can get away with gay bashing
ranslation:

6 replies, 1090 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Changes at CSPD after man wrongly arrested for carrying gun (Original post)
Trunk Monkey Nov 2012 OP
oneshooter Nov 2012 #1
Hells Liberal Nov 2012 #2
discntnt_irny_srcsm Nov 2012 #5
PavePusher Nov 2012 #3
DonP Nov 2012 #4
Tuesday Afternoon Nov 2012 #6

Response to Trunk Monkey (Original post)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:33 AM

1. Perhaps if he sued the officers personally. I don't see the Dept. backing them or be willing to pay.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to oneshooter (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 AM

2. Speaking as a former law student

Any lawyer would name the officers in the suit as individuals as well as the department. The officers are the ones who did wrong and since they were acting as police officers when they did wrong, the department is on the hook as well.

Reply to this post

Response to Hells Liberal (Reply #2)

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:44 AM

5. I would think...

...that his attorney would be exploring the idea of having the officer who made the threat charged criminally and with something that would see such charges pursued outside of a local court. It's been established that the PD operated in a manner consistent with their own procedures and training but that those procedures were in error. You can hardly expect to hold agents of a government department to a standard above that which you'd be willing to hold that department.

I believe that the threatening officer and any officers aware of the threat would be at least criminally complicit.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:15 AM

3. It would be nice to see some of the much-touted "transparancy in government"....

start at the local level with police and all other public employees.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:25 AM

4. And nobody to applaud the officers "fine work", what a shame

Too bad there's no one here .... yet ... to bemoan the use of needed public funds for the legal defense of these fine officers who were just protecting the public from a base gun toter who was obviously looking for trouble.

Like the cop said, "ignorance of the law is no excuse" and the threatened assault by the cop will read nicely in court too.

Get out your checkbooks Colorado Springs citizens and after you pay the legal bills and fines, buy yourself some smarter cops.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 21, 2012, 06:05 PM

6. You know, we have too many laws when those enforcing the laws can't even keep up.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread