HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » New Mexico coyote hunting...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 09:59 AM

New Mexico coyote hunting contest sparks protests

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by krispos42 (a host of the Gun Control & RKBA group).

By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - The terms of the competition are simple: Hunters in New Mexico have two days this weekend to shoot and kill as many coyotes as they can, and the winners get their choice of a free shotgun or a pair of semi-automatic rifles.

But the planned two-day coyote hunting contest has sparked an online petition that has generated tens of thousands of signatures worldwide. The FBI is investigating a death threat to the gun shop owner who is sponsoring the hunt. And one protester has even vowed to dress like a coyote to trick hunters into accidentally killing a human.

But none of these episodes will likely stop the owner of Gunhawk Firearms from holding the scheduled two-day coyote hunting race this weekend, despite the international attention the idea has garnered.

"I'm not going to back down," said Mark Chavez, 50, who has faced two weeks of angry phone calls and protests - and even a threat to his life. "This is my right to hunt and we're not breaking any laws."...

The inherent violence of people who are radically opposed to firearms and hunting is no different than the inherent violence of people with other extreme beliefs.

For the rest of the copyrighted article, please see http://www.wfsb.com/story/20120252/new-mexico-coyote-hunting-contest-sparks-protests

15 replies, 1160 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to slackmaster (Original post)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:03 AM

1. They should have to eat what they kill within those two days

that is only fair because that is what the Founders would have done

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:04 AM

4. why? it can be preserved and the hides can be used as well as the claws.

are you ignorant to the ways of the past.

each kill should be honored to Mother Earth.

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #4)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:20 AM

5. This hunting contest has nothing to honoring Mother Earth

so why should it be treated as such
Do you honestly think that these hunters are going to preserve the meat??
Where is the honor in this hunt??
And I am not ignorant to the ways of the past

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #5)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:45 AM

7. you see it your way. I see it mine. Always hunting takes place when the gathering is scarce.

Yes, I honestly think the hunters will put back the meat for the coming winter months. However, maybe not. I have never tasted coyote meat but, the coyotes are becoming overpopulated in areas and other parts of the animal can be useful.

Yes, There is honor in these types of hunts.

The honor is with those who choose to honor.

Those who do not will pay in ways of going hungry and cold. They will eat subprime meat from mass produced slaughter houses and they will use good money for cheap coats made in China.

2. This must be false...

Death threats? The nice people at PETA and such do not issue death threats.

3. some people need to get a life.

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:33 AM

6. If a kill this large is necessary

it should be handled by federal or state wildlife management, not as a contest for profit.

Response to rrneck (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:47 AM

8. but, If the government sees that private individuals are managing the issue at hand why should they

step in? They should step in if there is mismanagement, I agree.

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #8)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:18 AM

13. I can almost guarantee if it isn't mismanaged, it will be.

This is a private enterprise making money off public resources. It's the same corporate scam writ small. The erosion of the commons is a bit of a sore spot with me.

I think the government, run by duly elected officials put in office by an engaged electorate, should manage public resources. Certainly not Whatshisass's Gun Emporium and Laundromat.

Listen to me. I sound like an anti!

Response to rrneck (Reply #13)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:20 AM

14. I am seeing your point, to a degree .... but, I have a hard time calling a menace, a public resource

Response to rrneck (Reply #6)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:03 AM

11. As a taxpayer, I disagree. If people are willing to do it for free that leaves state and federal...

...wildlife management people free to do other important work that may require special knowledge or skills that ordinary varmint hunters don't have.

Response to slackmaster (Reply #11)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:10 AM

12. Make the 1% pay for it.

And don't let a private gun store profit from organizing it. If Fish and Game wants to recruit hunters for the task, I think that would be fine. It would be even better if people who had to hunt to eat got paid to do it.

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

9. While I agree with Angry Dragon on this one,

I would have less of a problem if we were talking about a destructive invasive species. I would rather it be a bounty on boas, pythons and Nile monitors in south Florida and the Everglades.

Response to gejohnston (Reply #9)

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:02 AM

10. I thought coyote over population was an issue in NM, no?

old article but, relevant to the topic ....

Scientists On Scent Of Better Coyote Management

ScienceDaily (May 3, 2000) Birth control could replace bullets in race to reduce growing threat

To many farmers, the only good coyote is a dead coyote. Thousands of the dog-like animals are shot and killed each year to prevent attacks on livestock, wildlife and people. Now, as the coyote population expands to include urban areas, a humane alternative may be on the horizon.

Based on observations that coyotes without puppies are less likely to attack livestock, scientists with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) are working to produce new fragrances to bait and trick the elusive animals into consuming birth control drugs. Fewer pups means fewer attacks, which should result in fewer coyote shootings, the scientists say. The findings are reported in the May issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed publication of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

more at link:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/05/000502185849.htm

Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:28 AM

15. Locking

This topic, which is regarding hunting and protests around hunting and does not fall under the SoP of the Group, properly belongs in Outdoor Life, New Mexico, or GD.

Regards,
Krispos42, Group Host