HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Ted Nugent needs to retir...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:03 PM

Ted Nugent needs to retire. We need a better rep. for the Second Amendment:

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by krispos42 (a host of the Gun Control & RKBA group).

How 'bout some other ambassadors for 2A.

4 replies, 957 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ted Nugent needs to retire. We need a better rep. for the Second Amendment: (Original post)
Eleanors38 Nov 2012 OP
Warpy Nov 2012 #1
Eleanors38 Nov 2012 #2
Tuesday Afternoon Nov 2012 #3
krispos42 Nov 2012 #4

Response to Eleanors38 (Original post)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:14 PM

1. The NRA has been associated with a senile actor

and a raging, foaming lunatic. I agree that the second amendment needs a better defender but they're stuck with what they've had unless they realize there are two clauses in that amendment and the first clause opens the door for sensible regulation while the second prevents an outright ban.

The stance that all citizens regardless of age, legal or mental status should be allowed to buy an unlimited range of hardware is just not a realistic one, especially in a country as urbanized as this one is. While that stance is being maintained, the NRA is stuck with crazy people defending it.

I would prefer a sane position defended by sane people, myself.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 04:28 PM

2. I think the future of the Second Amendment's image and role is bigger than the NRA...

and more folks than the NRA will address it.

The stance that all citizens regardless of age, legal or mental status should be allowed to buy an unlimited range of hardware is just not a realistic one,
I don't know who advocates this stance. All the 2A advocates I know do NOT think that one can possess or purchase firearms if they have felony convictions and/or have been adjudicated as mentally incompetent. Age, if it is a factor, must be decided by due process. "Unlimited" is also spurious. While one can own arms which are not designed to be carried and operated with one or both hands, and guns which can operate full-auto, these ARE subject to significant restrictions, registration and taxes, and have been since 1935.

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:08 PM

3. I wonder if the owner/editor of Garden and Gun would consider it --

http://gardenandgun.com/

Rebecca Wesson Darwin is President & CEO of the media company she formed with partners Pierre Manigualt and J. Edward Bell III that owns Garden & Gun. Ms. Darwin launched Garden & Gun in Spring 2007, after moving back south to Charleston, South Carolina, following a successful career in publishing in NYC. In 2007, the magazine was named the #2 hottest launch of over 700 magazines that year and has just recently won a National Magazine Award in General Excellence by the American Society of Magazine Editors and was named to Advertising Age’s 2011 Magazine A-List (ranked #4 out of 10.) The Garden & Gun brand has continued to develop under her direction through the creation of the Garden & Gun Club, the G&G Store, G&G Exclusives, and award-winning newsletters.

Darwin grew up in Columbia, SC, attended the University of North Carolina, and then moved to New York. She established her career at GQ, where she implemented national retail advertising and promotions programs and later became the first female publisher of The New Yorker, publisher of Mirabella, and was the marketing director of Fortune. She also served as the president and CEO of the National Association for Female Executives. Her immersion in the worlds of media, fashion, advertising and business bring an understanding and grace to the world of Garden & Gun. Ms. Darwin resides in downtown Historic Charleston with her husband Cress, the Pastor of Second Presbyterian Church, and her two girls, Lily & SaSa.

Mon Nov 12, 2012, 06:18 PM

4. Locking

Until the woman steps up or Nuget steps down as a spokesperson, this doesn't really fall under the SoP of the Group.

Regards,
Krispos42, Group Host