HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Gun Sales Surge: An Obama...

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:35 PM

Gun Sales Surge: An Obama Bounce?

The gun business is booming. The question is, why?

Smith & Wesson stock Friday was zooming, thanks to a stellar earnings report. The firearms maker also boosted its outlook for the rest of the year. Because of the strong business, its backlog of orders more than doubled from the same quarter last year, the company is concentrating on boosting production and building inventory.

“We are underserving the market at this moment, we all know that, and that's a great opportunity going forward for us,” CEO James Debney said in a conference call with analysts.

And another gun maker, Sturm, Ruger & Co., also hit a milestone of sorts in terms of meeting consumer demand. It produced its one-millionth gun of the year…well ahead of last year’s pace.

Its good to know some American manufactures are doing well in these trying times.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48943733

18 replies, 2265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Missycim (Original post)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:38 PM

1. I think it has more to do with

baby boomers getting old, and "oh shit it can happen to me too"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gejohnston (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:54 PM

5. Saw a comment somewhere else about baby boomers

it went something like "Baby boomers are too old to run away, too old to fight with their bare hands, but not too old to use a gun"

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:39 PM

2. Was in a shop today.. They said everyone is buying.

Happens every election cycle does it not?

Gun owners are a very,,, suspicious lot.

Reply to this post

Response to bluerum (Reply #2)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:44 PM

3. perhaps, but I'm more concerned about Mitt's economic ban

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1172&pid=69312
assuming he doesn't try push through legislation, which I think will happen if there are any Blair Mountain "reenactments"

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 07:52 PM

4. I think a number of things are contributing to the increase in firearm sales:

1. That, rightly or wrongly, people fear increased restrictions on firearms in the President's second term.
2. Katrina and other natural disasters. Those of in other parts of the country viewed Katrina and realized that in a disaster of that magnitude, that maybe the police WON'T be there if needed. The Northeast saw a small glimpse of that with the 2011 Halloween snowstorm and the Cat 1 hurricane/tropical storm that came through last summer, where power was out for extended periods of time, gas was not available due to no power and food supplies were impacted as well.
3. You have people, where the kids are out of the house and through college, the mortgage is either paid off or almost paid off and they suddenly have extra money every month and they decide they are going to buy guns and compete. I see this a lot in the cowboy shooting sports.
4. A general sense that maybe, just maybe, it would be prudent to have the means to protect oneself
5. A realization that no matter how good the police are and how hard they may try, they may not be there for you when you need them the most. Connecticut saw that with the Cheshire murders in 2007.
6. Newcomers to shooting and the shooting sports find out that it can be a lot of fun, which results in them buying more guns, perhaps for different shooting sport or perhaps just a different gun for the shotting sport they are already involved in.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:03 PM

6. I think it's two factors

First, many believe more gun control is on the way and want to buy weapons while they're still available and somewhat low cost. Second, after the recent string of highly publicized shootings people are starting to realize they are responsible for their own protection and buying weapons to defend themselves. I do wish the first group would lay off buying ammo by the pallet load for awhile. They're driving prices for everything but old military surpluses through the damn roof.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:06 PM

7. I don't think it matters who

gets elected, neither is dumb enough to incur the wraith of American voters.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:07 PM

8. Oh shit, he's going to take my guns again

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:17 PM

9. Simple, voters won't believe him this time when close to election day he again promises "I believe

in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away."

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:20 PM

10. Democrats are buying guns for the coming Repug Zombie Apocolypse.

When Obama wins in November they will be coming out their parents basements with a vengance.

They would attack each other but none of them have brains.

Reply to this post

Response to Arctic Dave (Reply #10)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:26 PM

11. was that you I was telling why I was stocking up on shotgun shells?

of course, that is only after the claymores and flamethrower runs out.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #11)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 08:42 PM

12. Using flamethrowers against zombies?

Ever heard of "fire boats"

Reply to this post

Response to Reasonable_Argument (Reply #12)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 09:32 PM

14. still working on the 10 gauge

Gatling guns

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 09:19 PM

13. You really have to look at the charts

Smith and Wesson had a slight bounce after Obama was elected '08, from @2 to @6, it then fell and leveled off and has had a slow steady rise to @ 10. SWHC's one day bounce yesterday, from 9 to 10.08, was due to a good Q1, rather than a good DNC. SWHC also seems to follow the market in general.

But RGR, went from @ 6 when Obama was elected to @ 46 last week. RGR, (Sturm, Ruger and Company) would seem to be a better indicator of the RW's reaction to Obama. So, I went to their site, meh, masculine, organized and on one page there is the CEO posing with dead animals. http://www.ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html

But on the front page, to the left, there are links, one leads to R, Lee, "Gunny" Ermey in a video, encouraging people to vote. http://www.triggerthevote.org/landing2/

R. Lee "Gunny" Ermey
Listen up and hear me well! This is a critical time for our nation, and too many people are sitting back to let others do the hard work. So it’s time for all of us to put some gas in it and persuade all eligible gun owners to register. That’s why I volunteered my time to film the ad shown here.

Now it’s your turn and I want to see results! Start now by sending this message to everyone you know who supports the Second Amendment.

I expect 110% right now from everyone who values our freedoms! NO EXCUSES. And remember -- pain is just weakness leaving the body!

The RW is pushing the lie that Obama is going to take away guns, to instill hate, elect Romney and drive up gun sales.

Reply to this post

Response to siligut (Reply #13)

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 11:07 PM

16. Well

The RW is pushing the lie that Obama is going to take away guns, to instill hate, elect Romney and drive up gun sales.

Well, while I don't think it will happen given the current makeup of congress I do believe that if the president had a pliant congress we would see a new assault weapons ban pushed for.

Reply to this post

Response to siligut (Reply #13)

Sun Sep 9, 2012, 12:11 AM

17. It'd help if the Dem platform didn't mention a new AWB and

closing the gun show "loophole".

We do it to ourselves...

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 8, 2012, 10:29 PM

15. So I won't have to worry I'm already buying ammo

That way I can muddle thru the post election blitz on the gun stores and ammo shelves when Mr. Obama wins his second term.

I wanted a upper to hunt with but it looks like funds just aren't going to be there before the election. Everything AR is already flying off the shelf and it's hard to find anything in stock.

I really want a 300blk upper for general plinking and deer hunting (maybe coyote also)

Today while in WM I went ahead and picked up another 225 rounds of 22, and 50 rounds of 9mm. If I can keep buying 22 and some more 45 and 380 I should be set.

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #15)

Sun Sep 9, 2012, 01:10 AM

18. 300 Black would be great for deer, but rather over-kill for coyote...

unless you plan on using a suppressor and sub-sonic rounds? Still rather expensive.

.223/5.56 works just fine for coyote, and at longer range as well. Much less expensive.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread