HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » "She got out of her ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 09:30 AM

"She got out of her car and pulled a gun"

"The officer then told the two to get back in the car. When they asked if there was a problem, she got out of the car and pulled out a gun, they claimed. Smith said he repeatedly asked the female officer, "What is the nature of your inquiry?" because he did not know why she was pointing a gun at them."

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/west-side/article1034178.ece

Apparently the police officer though it was okay to pull a gun in this situation.

The west side of Buffalo is a little rough but from the news description pulling the handgun did not seem appropriate. Great (wrong) way to promote trust and cooperation between police and citizens. The comments that follow the story are a real sad statement of the differences between peoples perceptions of urban vs sub-urban people.

7 replies, 1307 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply "She got out of her car and pulled a gun" (Original post)
Remmah2 Sep 2012 OP
GreenStormCloud Sep 2012 #1
ileus Sep 2012 #2
NOLALady Sep 2012 #7
gejohnston Sep 2012 #3
Remmah2 Sep 2012 #4
MercutioATC Sep 2012 #5
glacierbay Sep 2012 #6

Response to Remmah2 (Original post)

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 09:38 AM

1. Pretty one-sided article.

I would like to see and hear the videos.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 09:38 AM

2. I was told to get back in my car once.....I did so.

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #2)

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 12:09 PM

7. It seems to me

they were not in the car. They were coming out of a store and their car was blocked. They just wanted to leave. Their crime was asking the cop to move the car so they could get in their car and leave.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 09:43 AM

3. getting out of the car scares the shit out cops

and just not a cool thing to do.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #3)

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 10:07 AM

4. Did the young men come out of the store first?

It seems like it would have been a reasonable action by them if they came out of the store to find they were blocked in.

I'd like to know if emergency lights were on on the police car?

I have seen cases where the passenger side LEO hops into a store for a coffee while the driver sits at the curb waiting. I've also seen LEO's tweak their emergency lights to get through a slow intersection. Not exactlty proud moments but I'll grant them a pass because to the work they do. When my wife does outside art shows we even pack extra water for the LEO's stuck in the sun. I'm not an anti-cop person but think coolers heads on both sides would have avoided this story ever being printed.

Reply to this post

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:42 AM

5. PSA: If you are ever pulled over, you do exactly four things:

1) Pull over at the nearest safe spot.

2) Roll down your window.

3) Turn off your car.

4) Put your hands on the steering wheel.

DO NOT rummage in your packet for your wallet, reach into the glove compartment, or get out of the car. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things that law enforcement does. Respect the fact that the officer is putting their life on the line every time they pull somebody over and make it easy on both of you.

Reply to this post

Response to MercutioATC (Reply #5)

Tue Sep 4, 2012, 11:49 AM

6. All great points

If I'm on a traffic stop and someone jumps out of their car, the first thing I do is unsnap my tazer holster, not draw, just unsnap and then order the person back into the car, if they refuse, I call for back up and hope things don't escalate before my back up arrives.

Getting out of a car during a traffic stop w/o the officer telling you too is a very bad thing to do and should be avoided.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread