HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Former U.S. Marine subdue...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 09:55 AM

Former U.S. Marine subdues murder suspect at gunpoint while camping in Colorado.

Details of deadly shooting released - Ex-Marine first to subdue suspect
DURANGO — A Fort Lewis College student who was shot and killed earlier this month near Henderson Lake helped jump-start the suspect’s vehicle earlier in the day, according to an arrest report.The act of kindness is one of several details contained in an arrest affidavit made public Thursday by 6th Judicial District Judge Jeffrey Wilson.

Also revealed Thursday: a former U.S. Marine subdued the suspect at gunpoint.

Brenden Dow Ashburn, 37, of Durango, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of David Jones, 26.

Authorities first learned of the shooting at 1:56 a.m. Aug. 18 from David Pribble, a former U.S. Marine.

Pribble told investigators he and his family were camping in the area when he heard the gunshot. He said someone ran through his campsite yelling that his friend had been shot.

Pribble said he grabbed a pistol and ran to the adjacent camp. He confronted Ashburn, who had a pistol in his hand.

Pribble pointed his pistol at Ashburn and told him to drop the weapon. He then activated a laser sight on his pistol and pointed it at Ashburn’s chest.

He then “forcibly” took the pistol from Ashburn, the affidavit says.
http://www.cortezjournal.com/article/20120901/NEWS01/708319994/Details-of-deadly-shooting-released

I left out the whole encounter between the two college kids and Ashburn. Suffice it to say, don't party with crazy strangers with guns in the woods.

As for David Pribble, he is one bad ass who will hunt you down in the middle of the night in the woods by himself. Do not fuck with David Pribble.

Read the whole thing.

14 replies, 2396 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former U.S. Marine subdues murder suspect at gunpoint while camping in Colorado. (Original post)
bluedigger Sep 2012 OP
glacierbay Sep 2012 #1
bluedigger Sep 2012 #2
apocalypsehow Sep 2012 #8
Loudly Sep 2012 #3
bluedigger Sep 2012 #4
Trunk Monkey Sep 2012 #5
Oneka Sep 2012 #13
spin Sep 2012 #6
friendly_iconoclast Sep 2012 #10
Oneka Sep 2012 #12
GreenStormCloud Sep 2012 #7
petronius Sep 2012 #11
rDigital Sep 2012 #9
Trunk Monkey Sep 2012 #14

Response to bluedigger (Original post)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:16 AM

1. IF I may, respectfully, there is no such thing as an ex Marine

Once a Marine, always a Marine. Other than that,

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to glacierbay (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:28 AM

2. "Former active duty" was just too wordy.

The Cortez Journal agrees.

Point taken, though.

eta: I just saw where you saw the "ex-Marine" in the subtitle. I should have left that out.

Small town papers.

Reply to this post

Response to glacierbay (Reply #1)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:21 PM

8. Uh-huh. n/t.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:04 AM

3. However, it is a guns-as-solution-to-guns story.

Reply to this post

Response to Loudly (Reply #3)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 01:25 PM

4. Ain't life ambiguous?

Thought it deserved sharing...somewhere.

Reply to this post

Response to bluedigger (Reply #4)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 04:55 PM

5. I think it should be shared somewhere united

I wonder if Loudly would agree

Reply to this post

Response to Trunk Monkey (Reply #5)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 09:50 PM

13. hmmm

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=zqf&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&biw=1366&bih=646&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=o1pqXd_D8YPmRM:&imgrefurl=http://alexsegura.tumblr.com/post/9130091370/i-saw-what-you-did-there&imgurl=&w=720&h=530&ei=abpCUNrlDMjgrAHR7oCIAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=817&vpy=89&dur=1200&hovh=193&hovw=262&tx=140&ty=91&sig=100029785935984476723&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=178&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:175

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:18 PM

6. True, but often a firearm is the best tool to use for stopping an attack ...

from an individual who intends to seriously injure or kill his victim and is armed with a gun.

At this time in our nation it is politically unfeasible to ban and confiscate all firearms and even if the attempt was made many firearms would still be in circulation. If anything, the criminal element would be enabled if the majority of honest citizens willingly turned in their firearms. The bad guys would have far less fear of invading an occupied home or mugging a person on the street. The violent crime rate might increase dramatically.

Other nations have successfully largely disarmed their citizens but in such nations there were far fewer firearms and firearm owners than exist today in the United States. There are an estimated 300,000,000 firearms and 80,000,000 firearm owners in our nation. Unlike many other nations we have a strong gun culture.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:51 PM

10. Apparently Pribble did not have a bicycle wheel or can of beans handy.

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 09:45 PM

12. You say that like it's a bad thing. N/T

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:18 PM

7. Great restraint by a legally armed civilian.

Compare this to the NYPD cops. The subject was an armed murderer. Pribble could have shot and killed him on the spot with completely legality. Instead he used his gun to disarm the killer.

Reply to this post

Response to GreenStormCloud (Reply #7)

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 09:35 PM

11. I was thinking about this a little, and hypothetically: if Pribble had notice Jones

lying there on his first trip and seen or thought he was still alive, would it have been justifiable (legally, morally, both) to shoot Ashburn in order to provide immediate attention to a severely wounded victim (rather than take time restraining and disarming the assailant)?

Reply to this post

Sat Sep 1, 2012, 05:22 PM

9. Wow, amazing story.nt

Reply to this post

Sun Sep 2, 2012, 01:32 PM

14. Let me just say this, about that

ETA: Note that at 30 seconds into the video John Wayne is clearly lying on his back but at 56 seconds when John Agar (the former Mr. Shirley Temple BTW) looks down at the body the Duke is on his stomach /EDIT

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread