HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » How many of you here are ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:46 PM

How many of you here are members of the NRA?

I stay generally stay out of this pie fight because it always goes nowhere, but it has been put forth for a long time that if enough sane people just joined it they could set the direction of the organization.

39 replies, 4562 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply How many of you here are members of the NRA? (Original post)
Egalitarian Thug Jun 2012 OP
OffWithTheirHeads Jun 2012 #1
john89 Jun 2012 #2
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jun 2012 #3
ManiacJoe Jun 2012 #4
SoutherDem Jun 2012 #5
safeinOhio Jun 2012 #6
ileus Jun 2012 #7
meanit Jun 2012 #8
soc7 Jun 2012 #9
michreject Jun 2012 #10
HankyDub Jun 2012 #18
petronius Jun 2012 #19
krispos42 Jun 2012 #11
G26 Jun 2012 #12
Egalitarian Thug Jun 2012 #13
Kaleva Jun 2012 #14
NewMoonTherian Jun 2012 #15
spin Jun 2012 #16
doc03 Jul 2012 #30
spin Jul 2012 #32
doc03 Jul 2012 #33
era veteran Jun 2012 #17
eallen Jun 2012 #20
ProgressiveProfessor Jun 2012 #21
Euromutt Jul 2012 #22
Paladin Jul 2012 #23
gejohnston Jul 2012 #24
Euromutt Jul 2012 #25
TPaine7 Jul 2012 #35
Downtown Hound Jul 2012 #26
MannyGoldstein Jul 2012 #27
Tuesday Afternoon Jul 2012 #39
tularetom Jul 2012 #28
doc03 Jul 2012 #29
rl6214 Jul 2012 #31
Kennah Jul 2012 #34
Meiko Jul 2012 #36
oldhippie Jul 2012 #37
DWC Jul 2012 #38

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Original post)

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:53 PM

1. I joined for a year. It was like getting a magazine from Rush every month.

Decided it was like peasants for Rmoney and never renewed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:58 PM

2. hey

I used to be a member. Not anymore.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:01 PM

3. Never was. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:04 PM

5. My grandfather gave me a membership when I was 12.

I never renewed.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:04 PM

6. 1975 I gave up my membership.

I now donate to the SPLC, NAACP and ACLU.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:06 PM

7. I was a member for a year in the 90's...one year of junk mail and phone calls.

That's all it took for me to stop...It's nice having someone that will fight for the 2A, but these peeps are just spammers and bums.

Lot's of people are required to join to be a member of a shooting club or private range, some end up with memberships after buying a firearm.

I was checking out a a local range and 2000 acre hunting club a few weeks back, dues were 300 bucks a year and membership to the NRA.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:19 PM

8. Nope

I don't trust the NRA with my gun rights. They are just another right wing political group trying to get Republicans into office.
They are full of shit.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:38 PM

9. Lifetime member

n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:55 PM

10. I am

I belong to a shooting range and membership is mandatory. In fact, membership in the NRA is mandatory at every range here in SE MI.

Reply to this post

Response to michreject (Reply #10)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 04:46 PM

18. sounds like freedom

Reply to this post

Response to HankyDub (Reply #18)

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:25 PM

19. Wasn't HankyDubs tombstoned for some reason? Free advice: when you choose a

username that is very similar to that of a TSed former DUer, you run the very real risk of being mistaken for a zombie...

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:55 PM

11. Not I.

I suppose if it was a requirement to join a shooting range I would join, but not before then.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:18 PM

12. I am! As I said in the other "who's an NRA member"? thread,

it's the Second Amendment Foundation that is really making progress in expanding 2A rights. My impression of the NRA is that they have become part of the political landscape, like the Brady Campaign. Both groups exist mainly to oppose each other (although the NRA performs an important function as a training organization and a sanctioning body for shooting competitions - the Brady Campaign has no useful function).

The SAF, on the other hand, is absolutely kicking butt, legally speaking. They are totally non-partisan (so far). All they do is sue the government and win!

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 02:40 AM

13. Thanks for the replies. I'm wasting my time talking about actually doing something about

the really bad direction it has taken since 1980 or so, and wanted a feel for how many members are here.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:29 AM

14. You might be able to make an impact at a very local level...

but I doubt there'd ever be enough to join who could change the direction of the organization at the national level.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 06:30 AM

15. I think I've got a few years left on my membership.

There is a LOT of junk mail, and a lot of it is right-wing. I moved and haven't yet gotten around to informing them of my change of address. Another big reason I'm dissatisfied with them is that, while being very right-wing, they're not aggressive enough on actual gun rights. They don't do enough to promote open carry, and I haven't seen ANYTHING from them(though there may be something) about repealing the Hughes amendment or the worst of the NFA regulations. There are organizations with better records on guns and less political baggage. NRA does do a lot of great work though, and they're simply the most influential 2A organization. It'd take a long time to change that.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 11:23 AM

16. I've been an NRA member since 1970 ...

I feel the NRA does a lot of good to support the shooting sports and provides excellent training for law enforcement and civilians.

Only a small portion of my yearly dues go to the political wing of the NRA, the NRA-ILA. I throw any and all mailings from this group into my trashcan unopened. (ref: https://www.nrailadonate.org/default.asp?campaignid=legalaction)

However, I may drop my membership in the NRA this year if they endorse Mitt Romney. Romney is no friend of gun owners. Obama as President has been supportive of gun rights much to the chagrin of organizations such as the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

Weaker Gun Laws, Lack Of Leadership Earn President Obama A Failing Grade

Jan 19, 2010

Washington, DC - In his first year as President, Barack Obama’s continuing concessions to the “guns anywhere” mentality of the gun lobby and lack of leadership for common-sense gun laws has earned him a grade of “F” from the nation’s leading group fighting to prevent gun violence.

President Obama signed legislation letting people carry concealed weapons in national parks and in checked luggage on Amtrak trains, adopted the gun lobby’s empty rhetoric about just “enforcing the laws on the books,” muzzled Cabinet members who expressed any support for stronger gun laws and failed to appoint permanent leadership at the agency that polices the gun industry. This White House even voiced no objection to people carrying guns near Presidential events.

His White House staff removed statements from the White House website that declared support for gun violence prevention laws. His spokesman repeatedly refused to express support for any proposed legislation to strengthen gun laws. And President Obama and the White House staff avoided any mention of guns after horrific, high-profile shootings and the anniversaries of historic shooting tragedies.
http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1214/

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #16)

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 11:24 PM

30. They may or may not endorse Romney but they are campaigning hard against Obama.

Every NRA member I know is convinced Obama has a secret plan to take our guns if he wins re-election
and that comes straight from Wayne La Pierre. I quit the NRA when they made La Pierre president he is nothing but a right wing hack.

Reply to this post

Response to doc03 (Reply #30)

Wed Jul 4, 2012, 06:20 PM

32. I have to admit that I am considering dropping my membership ...

as I dislike the fact that the NRA does seem to become more and more conservative as the years pass.

However I do feel the NRA helps the shooting sports in many ways and since I only pay my yearly dues of which only a tiny percentage goes to their political wing, I face a difficult decision.

It is a fact that the NRA often gives Democratic candidates a high rating on gun rights. I can understand why they feel some concern about Obama as he definitely was not pro-gun rights in Illinois or as a senator. However a fair appraisal of any politician from Illinois and Chicago would mention that under the rule of King Daley it would probably been impossible to get elected dog catcher if you were pro-gun. The NRA should be fair and consider Obama's history since in office in President and he has been basically for pro-gun rights.

Romney on the other hand has been been for and against gun rights during his political career. I have no idea of what he stands for and consequently I can't trust him. I also have no idea where he actually stands on many issues as he is a shape shifter.

To be honest I still can't figure out why the Republican field during the primaries was filled with so many weak candidates. It's almost as if they decided to concede this election just as they did the last one. I always try to never underestimate those who views oppose mine and indeed the Republican Party is usually a strong foe. I wonder if they plan to lose this election and hope to actually run a strong candidate in the next election, win and hold the Presidency for at least 12 years.

My decision will probably depend on if the NRA endorses Romney. If it does it is obvious that they have sold out to the Republicans and will I will no longer be a member.

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #32)

Thu Jul 5, 2012, 09:30 PM

33. In Ohio last election we had Governor Ted Strickland that was an avid hunter and

gun rights advocate. I think the NRA gave him an A but as far as I know they gave him no help and were
completely silent on John Kasich that voted for the assault weapon ban. They have no problem making up
a wild conspiracy theory about Obama taking our guns if he is re-elected. Then we have Romney that supported
gun control in Massachusetts and they are completely silent on that. Like I say they may not endorse Romney but they
will spend millions on negative ads about Obama. I quit the NRA decades ago and I haven't lost one single firearm and
saved countless trees from being used in their mailings.

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 03:45 PM

17. 45 years ago

Reply to this post

Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:09 PM

20. No, no, and a thousand times no.

OK, I'll confess, I was a member of the NRA some decades ago, before they went completely loony on politics.

Reply to this post

Sat Jun 30, 2012, 08:16 PM

21. It is required if you are going to compete or instruct

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 03:19 PM

22. I am, with increasing reluctance

Other posters have already pointed out certain benefits of NRA membership, to which I'll add the liability insurance that comes included with membership if you're hunting or participating in an NRA-organized shooting event and the insurance on your firearms. But boy, the unrelenting alarmism about how the sky will fall if you don't send $27.63, $35.42 or even $48.91 NOW sure gets grating awfully fast. And with this "ALL IN" against Obama thing, I'm seriously wondering whether membership is worth it.

It's not just the alarmism, but also the fact that it's so obviously bullshit that irks me. If you're going to tell me "ah, his second term is when Obama will make his move!" I'd like some acknowledgment of the fact that your prediction four years ago that he'd try to push an anti-gun rights agenda at the first opportunity was pretty much completely wrong.

Then there's the NRA's portrayal of the UN's Arms Trade Treaty and its Programme of Action on Small Arms and Light Weapons as some kind of underhanded attack on the Second Amendment, rather than what they are: attempts to regulate more rightly international trade in firearms. If there's any evidence that the NRA is not merely an astroturf mouthpiece for the firearms industry, it's that the firearms industry actually supports the ATT, because it means they'll only have one international set of regulations to deal with, instead of a separate set for each country.

I did join in the hope of "fighting from within the belly of the beast," but I'm increasingly skeptical of achieving anything. I want to get one of those "I'm the NRA and I vote" decals, and write "DEMOCRAT" under it in Sharpie.

Reply to this post

Response to Euromutt (Reply #22)

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 03:26 PM

23. Well Said. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Euromutt (Reply #22)

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 04:14 PM

24. What exactly is in it that the NRA objects to?

and is that really in the treaty?

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #24)

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:24 PM

25. The NRA leadership has been purposely vague about that

After all, the more vague your claims, the more difficult they are to debunk. But the gist of it is that either document would give a Democratic administration an excuse to restrict the sale of firearms to, and possession thereof by private citizens under the pretext of meeting its treaty obligations. In actual fact, both documents cover only international trade in firearms. Specifically, the main provision of the ATT:
will forbid governments to authorise a trade if there is a “substantial risk” of the arms being used for one or more of five purposes: to provoke or aggravate regional or sub-regional instability; to commit serious violations of humanitarian or human-rights law; to hamper efforts to reduce poverty; to commit transnational organised crime; or to support or perpetrate terrorist acts. Treaty signatories will be expected to pass domestic legislation to ensure that their own arms firms comply. (source: The Economist)
The requirements of the Programme of Action would be remarkably similar to those already adopted within the United States with the Gun Control Act of 1968.

The long and short of it is that both treaties would create international requirements very similar to ones that already exist in the United States. In a very real sense, both treaties present a far greater threat to the profits of the arms industries of China and Russia than to the ability of an American gun owner to buy a Romanian-made Kalashni-knockoff,

Reply to this post

Response to Euromutt (Reply #25)

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:43 AM

35. Just a (possibly silly) question from someone who hasn't read up on this,

but isn't this wide open to interpretation? For instance, if the ATT...

will forbid governments to authorise a trade if there is a “substantial risk” of the arms being used... to commit serious violations of humanitarian or human-rights law; to hamper efforts to reduce poverty... or to support or perpetrate terrorist acts. Treaty signatories will be expected to pass domestic legislation to ensure that their own arms firms comply. (source: The Economist)

...how would that be interpreted if a "strong" gun controller was president?

Doesn't every sale of a handgun or "assault rifle" to an ordinary US citizen pose such a "substantial risk" as far as many people are concerned? Doesn't every import for private ownership by ordinary people pose such a "substantial risk"?

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:34 PM

26. I own ten guns

And the only way anything related to the NRA would ever make it in my house is if I was urinating on it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:36 PM

27. i've ctully emoved those thee lettes fom my keybod.

Tht's how czy they mke me.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #27)

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:10 PM

39. good luck keeping up that keyboarding style

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 10:45 PM

28. Not anymore dude

I was a "life member" whatever the fuck that means until I got sick of all the right wing propaganda they sent.

In a way it's a shame because the organization provided a lot of useful resources dealing with gun safety, ballistics, reloading and gunsmithing. But it appears there was a lot more money to be made by fear mongering than educating so I finally told them to shove it about 25 years ago.

I never contributed a dime to any of their scare campaigns. And not one of the dire predictions they made has ever proven to be true.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 3, 2012, 11:17 PM

29. I quit back in the 80's n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 4, 2012, 02:44 AM

31. Nope, don't belong

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 9, 2012, 11:25 PM

34. Life Member, but other than the gun issue, there is almost nothing I agree with them on.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 01:43 AM

36. I did belong once upon a time

but I got tired of the scare tactics and the constant solicitation for money.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:26 PM

37. Benefactor

nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 PM

38. Only been a member of the NRA

for about 45 years.

As with any large organization including political parties it has a very diverse membership and aspects with which I disagree. But all-in-all it is the single best support group for our 2nd amendment rights in the USA.

Further, if you are serious about effecting change in any organization, including the NRA, your efforts will always be more successful from the inside than the outside.

Semper Fi,

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread