HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » "Feds raid Eagle Pas...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:14 PM

"Feds raid Eagle Pass (TX) gun shop"

Feds raid Eagle Pass gun shop
By Guillermo Contreras

Federal agents raided an award-winning gun shop in Eagle Pass on Tuesday, alleging it aided in sending guns and ammo across the border.

Agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations descended on Hesles Gun Store in the center of town on the heels of a federal indictment that alleges its operators were complicit with smugglers suspected of supplying drug gangs in Mexico.

<snip>

In 2010, Gov. Rick Perry commended the shop for 76 years in business and issued the patriarch, Rick Hesles Sr., an award for the accomplishment, according to an article in the Eagle Pass Business Journal.

Perry recognized the Hesles family for its “entrepreneurship and service to the state of Texas.”

<more>

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Feds-raid-Eagle-Pass-gun-shop-3471948.php

Looks like they missed out on "Fast and Furious" immunity.

And Perry, of course, is showing his usually excellent taste.

50 replies, 5170 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 50 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Feds raid Eagle Pass (TX) gun shop" (Original post)
krispos42 Apr 2012 OP
gejohnston Apr 2012 #1
Remmah2 Apr 2012 #2
fightthegoodfightnow Apr 2012 #15
Remmah2 Apr 2012 #17
fightthegoodfightnow Apr 2012 #36
gejohnston Apr 2012 #37
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #39
Hoyt Apr 2012 #3
gejohnston Apr 2012 #4
Hoyt Apr 2012 #5
gejohnston Apr 2012 #6
X_Digger Apr 2012 #7
Hoyt Apr 2012 #8
X_Digger Apr 2012 #9
Hoyt Apr 2012 #10
X_Digger Apr 2012 #11
Becka2515 Apr 2012 #19
X_Digger Apr 2012 #20
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 2012 #21
iverglas Apr 2012 #23
ellisonz Apr 2012 #35
Becka2515 Apr 2012 #38
Hoyt Apr 2012 #46
Becka2515 Apr 2012 #47
iverglas Apr 2012 #50
ManiacJoe Apr 2012 #12
Hoyt Apr 2012 #13
rl6214 Apr 2012 #14
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #43
iverglas Apr 2012 #22
gejohnston Apr 2012 #24
iverglas Apr 2012 #26
gejohnston Apr 2012 #28
iverglas Apr 2012 #31
gejohnston Apr 2012 #33
X_Digger Apr 2012 #25
iverglas Apr 2012 #27
X_Digger Apr 2012 #29
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #44
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 2012 #30
iverglas Apr 2012 #32
discntnt_irny_srcsm Apr 2012 #34
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #40
sarisataka Apr 2012 #16
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #41
sarisataka Apr 2012 #49
pneutin Apr 2012 #18
Callisto32 Apr 2012 #42
jpak Apr 2012 #45
gejohnston Apr 2012 #48

Response to krispos42 (Original post)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:41 PM

1. how much you want to bet

if Faux picks it up, they will be sure to mention that a Democratic congressman (Ciro Davis Rodriguez) bought a gun there but forget to mention the Perry part.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 12:47 PM

2. Yet another federal agent gets busted for smuggling arms.

(Reuters) - A U.S. Border Patrol agent, accused of buying guns in the United States and smuggling them to Mexico for use by drug cartels, must remain in jail pending a detention hearing later this week, a U.S. Magistrate Judge ruled on Tuesday.

Ricardo Montalvo, 28, and his girlfriend Carla Gonzales-Ortiz, 29, briefly appeared in court for the first time since their arrest on Monday. They are charged with conspiracy to buy firearms and more than 20,000 rounds of ammunition to be smuggled into Mexico.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/11/us-usa-mexico-guns-idUSBRE83A03I20120411

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:45 PM

15. What Exactly Does that Have to do with the Original Article

Other than both the private sector and agents of the government are both selling illegal arms.

Any solutions from you other than enforcing the law....oh ...that's right...the law is enforced.

Reply to this post

Response to fightthegoodfightnow (Reply #15)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:13 AM

17. Where's the prosecution for the Fast and Furious fiasco?

The problem is in lack of enforcement of the existing laws on an even basis.

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #17)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 07:47 PM

36. Same Response

Ironically another pro-gun advocate actually claimed it's not the police's responsibility to protect or serve the larger community prior to or during a crime.....only to investigate after....begging the question why we arm police.....LOL.

It's always the same song....it's the police's problem while gun advocates tie their hands and that of our justice system with SYG laws that seem to make no distinction between private and public property.

Reply to this post

Response to fightthegoodfightnow (Reply #36)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:46 AM

39. Making you want to ask.

Is NOT the same as begging the question....

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 05:14 PM

3. Another right wing gun shop fucks up. I guess we have to wait for investigation to conclude.

{sarcasm thingy} Was it 76 years of selling illegal guns, or catering to right wing gun owners standing their ground, or what?

Wonder how many murders, kids getting shot, wives getting threatened by their husband, and a bunch more can be traced back to this local landmark.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:58 PM

4. I am guessing

it was just since the stupid kids took over. Oh yeah, given the Latino and Democratic population of that area, you don't know squat.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:49 PM

5. I bet clientele was more to the right and "protecting" themselves

from the people you mention. In any event, another example of the myth of the law-abiding gun dealer

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:52 PM

6. 95 percent Latino

and you are calling the place Klan heaven? You must have some good hydroponic stuff.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 09:04 PM

7. Let's see your facts, Hoyt.

What percentage of FFL's are 'crooked'? And I don't want some guess pulled out of your backside, give me hard numbers. There are somr 60,000 FFLs (excluding C&R licensees). http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/download/ffl-type-by-state-2012/0112-ffl-type-by-state.pdf

Of course this whole thing is a straw man anyway- as far as I can find, nobody claimed every gun dealer was an angel.

So which is it, Hoyt? Are you going to finally back up something you hurked up with facts, will you throw out some red herring dodge, or will you simply ignore this inconvenient post?

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #7)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 09:37 PM

8. I stand by my assertion. Wonder how many of 59999 are equally bad.

The crud they sell is for sure. Legal, maybe. Kind of like corporate actvities that are "legal" but wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #8)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 09:46 PM

9. That which is asserted without evidence can likewise be dismissed without evidence.

You fail. Again.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #9)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 09:56 PM

10. What evidence do you have? They definitely deal in dubious "goods."

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #10)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 09:57 PM

11. I'm not the one making a claim- you are.

It's up to you to prove your claim, it's not up to me to disprove it.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #11)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 03:02 PM

19. Why is he allowed time and time again

to get away with not proving his absurd statements? (hoyt)

Reply to this post

Response to Becka2515 (Reply #19)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 03:09 PM

20. Saying unsubstantiated stupid shit isn't against the rules (just a guess).

And hey, he provides comedic relief when the adults are talking.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 03:18 PM

21. Welcome to DU

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:11 PM

23. well, if you figure out

why gun militants are allowed to get away with posting utter garbage gleaned from the dank smelly right-wing corners of the internet, that would be what quite a few of us would like to know.

As to why anyone might be "allowed" to post claims for which they don't produce proof satisfactory to people who prefer sources that, oh, claim that a couple of million people would be dead today if they hadn't had a gun handy to save themselves and suchlike tripe, well, I guess it's because this here is an internet discussion board, and that's the way the ball bounces, eh?

You do seem astoundingly conversant with hoyt's posting practices for someone who joined DU four days ago, I must say!

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #23)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 06:48 PM

35. Yeah, Hoyt shouldn't be "allowed"

Lock him out of the survival mine shafts because he lacks the spirit of bold curiosity!

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #23)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 07:30 AM

38. I've been lurking my friend.

for many a year.

I really like you and how when someone proves you wrong you just let the bile flow from you.

Reply to this post

Response to Becka2515 (Reply #38)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:02 AM

46. If you don't understand why, you really haven't been "lurking" that long.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #46)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:22 AM

47. Oh I understand all right.

You just get called on your posts and scamper away when someone pins you down on a topic.

I wish I could strap a gun or two but I live in this crappy state, where you have to fill out a ton of paper work just to be able to use your constitutional rights.

I have been hanging around here for years, I dont know why anyone responds to you at all. You will never open your mind enough to see the bigger picture and I am to tired to try.

Reply to this post

Response to Becka2515 (Reply #38)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 12:30 PM

50. yeah

Right.

Right charmer, you are!

Not much of a contributer to the conversation so far, though ...

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:17 PM

12. dubious -- is that really the word you were looking for?

Reply to this post

Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #12)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:27 PM

13. That's it. =questionable, shady....

Reply to this post

Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #12)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:44 PM

14. It's just like every other post he makes

A JOKE

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:51 AM

43. Trollery.

Plain and simple.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:05 PM

22. what sort of evidence would make you happy?

Convictions? They'd be nice hard evidence, but absence of a conviction of course doesn't mean absence of crime.

Googling guns "time to crime" provides a useful framework and also some interesting info.

One gun store's 'time to crime'

Unfortunately, that whole thing is an image and I can't C&P text from it. It starts out:

The quicker a gun becomes police evidence after it is purchased from a gun dealer, the greater the chance that the original buyer had criminal plans for it, experts say. ... Since 2004, nearly 70 percent of the guns that traced back to D&R Arms in Portsmouth, Va., were seized within a year of leaving the store -- some only days or weeks after they were sold.

Guns successfully traced by the ATF averaged 10.8 years from the day they were sold to when they were recovered. ...

I can access only abstracts for these two:

Risk factors among handgun retailers for frequent and disproportionate sales of guns used in violent and firearm related crimes.

OBJECTIVE: To determine the retailer and community level factors associated with frequent and disproportionate sales of handguns that are later used in violent and firearm related crimes (VFC handguns).

... SUBJECTS AND SETTING: The 421 licensed gun retailers in California selling at least 100 handguns annually during 1996-2000.

RESULTS: Subjects accounted for 11.7% of California retailers with handgun sales, 81.5% of handgun sales, and 85.5% of VFC handguns. Among subjects, the 3426 VFC handguns accounted for 48.0% of all traced handguns and 65.0% of those linked to a specified crime. The median VFC handgun trace rate was 0.5/1000 gun years (range 0-8.8). In multivariate analysis, this rate increased substantially for each single-point increase in the percentage of proposed sales that were denied because the purchasers were prohibited from owning guns ... and was increased for pawnbrokers ... . Community level crime rates and sociodemographics had little predictive value.

Factors affecting a recently purchased handgun's risk for use in crime under circumstances that suggest gun trafficking.

While many handguns are used in crime each year in the USA, most are not. We conducted this study to identify factors present at the time of a handgun's most recent retail sale that were associated with its subsequent use in crime under circumstances suggesting that the handgun had been trafficked--purchased with the intent of diverting it to criminal use. Handguns acquired in multiple-gun purchases were of particular interest. Using data for 180,321 handguns purchased from federally licensed retailers in California in 1996, we studied attributes of the handguns, the retailers selling them, the purchasers, and the sales transactions. Our outcome measure was a handgun's recovery by a police agency, followed by a gun ownership trace, conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, that determined (a) that the recovery had occurred within 3 years of the handgun's most recent purchase from a licensed retailer and (b) that the person who possessed the gun when it was recovered by police was not its most recent purchaser. Altogether, 722 handguns were recovered and had trace results that met the additional criteria. Handguns acquired in multiple-gun, same-day transactions were more likely to be traced than were single-purchase handguns ... Handguns sold by retailers who also had a relatively high proportion (>or=2%) of purchases denied because the prospective purchasers were prohibited from owning firearms were more likely to be traced than were those sold by other retailers ...

There's some interesting info buried in there. For those who want to look.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #22)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:14 PM

24. MDs playing

amateur sociologists, have a link to the entire study instead of the abstract?

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #24)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:40 PM

26. have eyesight?

I said in my post that I had access only to the abstracts. This is usually the case when looking at studies published in reputable academic journals that are sold by subscription.

If you think they misrepresent the content of the studies, feel free to contact the publishers.

There is nothing particularly "sociologist" about the function performed by the authors. Here's one of the authors:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vprp/aboutus/wintemute.html

Director – Garen J. Wintemute, M.D., M.P.H.
Dr. Wintemute practices emergency medicine at UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento (a Level I trauma center), and is professor of emergency medicine at the UC Davis School of Medicine. His research focuses on the nature and prevention of violence and on the development of effective violence prevention measures. He has served as a consultant for the National Institute of Justice, World Health Organization, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Red Cross.

Rank amateur, that boy ... I dunno, maybe you think that somebody with a master's in public health don't know shit about numbers ...

And here's another interesting one by him:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19805596

Pawnbroker status and a record of disproportionately high denied sales are both among the factors that characterize gun dealers with disproportionately high crime gun sales, from that study as well. The obvious conclusion is that they are disproportionately patronized by criminals:

A number of factors - most of them characteristics of the retailers or of their handgun purchasers, and most of them available in existing data - were linked to disproportionate sales of handguns that are later used in crime.

It seems to be pretty easy for researchers to identify the, er, dubious dealers. One wonders whether the ATF does the same analyses, and then does anything about the situations.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #26)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:56 PM

28. this is the same doc that

had an undergrad walk around a gun show to count how many straw purchasers he thought he saw, and based an entire study based on it. The study says nothing about what the kid was supposed to look for, or what a straw purchaser was. Now that begs the question, if there is a "gun show loophole" why the straw purchasers?

I'm sure the ATF does, and they go to dealers without need of warrant. Wintemute does not have that authority.
The ATF has to have facts and evidence to take to a US attorney. Wintermute does not, he can write some half assed shit and hope it gets published. The phrase is advocacy scholarship. It is propaganda dressed up to look like scholarship.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1141365

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #28)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:11 PM

31. it's so hard to follow you sometimes

I'm sure the ATF does, and they go to dealers without need of warrant. Wintemute does not have that authority.

Whoa, you got some proof of that?? You're sure ...

What on earth ... Wintemute does not have that authority. Um, duh, hm, what is one supposed to say to something like that? Wintemute had the statistics compiled by ATF. Where on earth does him inspecting dealers come into this? My question was about the ATF, not about Wintemute. He didn't claim to have it, and he didn't seem to be saying he should have it, or wanting to have it ... Colour me confused, as usual.

Wintermute does not, he can write some half assed shit and hope it gets published.

You are amusing, as ever.

If it ain't written by a gunhead, it doesn't matter what the author's qualfications are and what the reputation of the journal they publish in is. gejohnston says it's "half-assed shit" and that's an end of it.

Big old snork for you.

typo

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #31)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:19 PM

33. one thing

What on earth ... Wintemute does not have that authority. Um, duh, hm, what is one supposed to say to something like that? Wintemute had the statistics compiled by ATF. Where on earth does him inspecting dealers come into this? My question was about the ATF, not about Wintemute. He didn't claim to have it, and he didn't seem to be saying he should have it, or wanting to have it ... Colour me confused, as usual.

He did? you are assuming a lot based on an abstract. I read a couple of his studies, not that great.
If it ain't written by a gunhead, it doesn't matter what the author's qualfications are and what the reputation of the journal they publish in is. gejohnston says it's "half-assed shit" and that's an end of it.

Never said any such thing. You are assuming that because you like his results that he knows what he is talking about without reading the study.
Has the ATF pulled licenses and prosecuted these dealers? If not, why not?

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #22)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:16 PM

25. And yet, no numbers or percentages. Fancy that.

Lots of evidence of straw purchases- not an indictment of a dealer.

Got anything substantive?

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #25)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 04:48 PM

27. remember this one?

The page I used to link to for the source is now dead, but I'm sure you'll take my word on the authenticity of the attribution; referring to evidence of the effectiveness of gun control, but applicable here:

Dr. Martin Killias, criminologist, University of Lausanne, has suggested that demands for conclusive "proof" are often a strategy for delay.

The strong statistical evidence tying certain dealers to certain types of clientele and high rates of crime gun sales ... well, it's all just a big coincidence, and nothing that a gun dealer would be concerned about if they happened to be in that group.

Are you perhaps saying there are no crooked gun dealers?

I didn't think so.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #27)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:06 PM

29. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, no.

But it is an absence of evidence.

Had anyone actually claimed that there are no 'crooked gun dealers', I'd laugh at them right along with you. An absolute (straw man) like that is easily disproven.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #29)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:56 AM

44. The resemblance is uncanny.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #27)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:09 PM

30. Despite the number...

...of people punished by statistics, they are not proof of crime.

O/T: How's the recovery progressing? Doing better?

Reply to this post

Response to discntnt_irny_srcsm (Reply #30)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:18 PM

32. despite the resistance to reality

in some quarters, reality has independent existence. Statistics just count it.

Two weeks into cast-free, and two physiotherapy sessions on. Rapid early regaining of flexibility and some strength in frozen foot, by dint of hours of stretching every day, to physiotherapist's applause, but not much headway this week on actual walking ... which is where laziness is probably coming into it -- but I prefer to think of it as listening to my body.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #32)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 05:28 PM

34. Feel better

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:47 AM

40. Keep it vague.

Then it isn't libel/slander, right?

Bigot.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 10:48 PM

16. Holder didn't like the competition

Just a couple questions

-Why ICE and not ATF?
-Since one brother is facing a possible 100 yrs, the other 50... why asking for a $100k judgement? Unless that is pressure for a plea deal?

Assuming the Feds are right, it does look like the kids wanted to make some fast money under the table after the father passed.

Reply to this post

Response to sarisataka (Reply #16)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 AM

41. Well, ICE is a way scarier name.

Plus, they even have "ENFORCEMENT" in there now, an interesting word to put where we used to have "service."

Hell, money is fungible, why not .gov bureautards.

Reply to this post

Response to Callisto32 (Reply #41)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 10:54 AM

49. It would be accurate

But not as cool of an acronym for those soundbites

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 PM

18. Except they didn't actually smuggle weapons

The article says:

The release said Richard Hesles was charged with seven counts of smuggling ammunition, two counts of smuggling firearm magazines and one count of smuggling firearm sights. Damien Hesles is charged with three counts of ammo smuggling, one count of smuggling magazines and one count of firearm sights, the release said.

None of those items requires an ID check, so ICE would have to prove the shop owners had sold the items with the intent of them going across the border.

Reply to this post

Response to pneutin (Reply #18)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 08:50 AM

42. Smuggling SIGHTS?

Wow.

Like, that often consists of iron posts and apertures.

That's one of those things they have just so they can make a plea bargain look good, so the government agents don't actually have to do any work.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:02 AM

45. but...but..but.. Law Abidin' Texas Gun Dealers don't sell to Mexican straw buyers!!!!!1111

never mind

yup

Reply to this post

Response to jpak (Reply #45)

Fri Apr 13, 2012, 09:22 AM

48. Mexicans can't be straw buyers

neither can Canadians. Look up what straw buyer means.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread