HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Man Shot Twice as he Trie...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:28 PM

Man Shot Twice as he Tries to Shoot Caged Raccoon

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by krispos42 (a host of the Gun Control & RKBA group).

REDFIELD, Iowa (AP) A rural Redfield man is being treated for two gunshot wounds after an attempt to shoot a raccoon caught in a live trap backfired.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says 68-year-old Larry Godwin was using a 22-caliber handgun to shoot the caged raccoon at around 11 a.m. Saturday when the bullet ricocheted off the cage and struck him in the lower abdomen on the right side. He dropped the gun and it fired again, shooting him again in about the same spot.

He was taken to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines by private vehicle.

The DNR says the injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Man-Shot-Twice-as-he-Tries-to-Shoot-Caged-Raccoon--140429233.html

20 replies, 2263 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:31 PM

1. Racoons everywhere are laughing their masks off. N/T

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:38 PM

2. Just proves raccoons are far smarter than they look.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:42 PM

3. Would have been worth taking the racoon into the woods somewhere and dropping it off. n/t

Response to michaz (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:59 PM

5. Not for guys like that

He'll really want to shoot it in that cage when he gets out of the hospital!!! Load the gun when he's coming home.

Response to get the red out (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:10 PM

8. Or maybe you could talk about something you understand.

It's very evident that you have never had to cope with a trapped raccoon.

Response to TheWraith (Reply #8)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:22 PM

12. He could call a professional

No one can possibly say he wouldn't have been better off if he had. Our neighbors had that problem, they called a professional who came in, trapped, then released. No one was shot, no humans, no animals. They are retired and on a fixed income as well, so not made of money.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:09 PM

7. You can't do that.

Imagine, for a second, taking the ANGRY and DANGEROUS animal out into the woods in a trap that requires you to be basically reaching into the trap to open it. Now imagine going to the hospital because you had dozens of raccoon bites and cuts to the bone.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:21 PM

10. Uh, no. They usually make their way back again...

On the other hand, from the headline, I thought the 'coon was armed! Wouldn't have gotten near it.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 12:44 PM

4. What would Darwin have thought of this?

Catch racoon in live trap, shoot and miss racoon and hit self with ricocheted bullet, drop gun and hit self again. Hmmm to ponder the human mind at work.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:01 PM

6. Don't mess with a raccoon! They can be really mean .. OTOH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=JPBxvlfoXns

I love my raccoons but I wish they would stop eating my Avocados.

BTW Raccoons are not rodents. They are related to bears.

edited for my affection for little non rodent things.

Response to Loudmxr (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 01:20 PM

9. my kitties used to play like that when they were younger (including the head things)

everything, in fact, except the bathing in the bucket thing.

my neighbors are not so thrilled about our raccoons, but they like me (or, more likely, the nuts, the fruit, etc. that are always available)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:01 PM

11. Not buying it.

The odds of being hit by a ricochet and then an accidental discharge, in the same place are beyond astronomical. Note, he was taken to hospital by "private vehicle". I can hear the conversation in that vehicle "OK, look I'm sorry, but it just ain't right to shoot a caged animal like that. I'll take you to the hospital if you say you shot yourself by accident, Gramps!"

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #11)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:40 PM

13. Maybe the raccoon was shooting back.

Bears are armed, why not raccoons?

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:51 PM

14. It could have been worse. He could have found a skunk in that live trap. Don't ask.

Response to wandy (Reply #14)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 04:01 PM

18. When I've caught skunks in mine

I attach a dog chain to the cage and throw it into the pond for 10 minutes or so...no fuss, no mess. All other critters I've caught I've taken for a long ride in the country and released near a food and water source.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 02:58 PM

15. Do what I do dude

Drop those have-a-heart caught critters off at your closest elitist country club.

Response to era veteran (Reply #15)

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 03:31 PM

16. I've relocated around a dozen raccoons and possums to cornfields 15 to 20 miles away

I've had them in the attic and the garage on and off for years. A can of cheap cat food or leftover stale bread is good bait. Set the trap out before sunset and put it away in the morning to keep the neighbors cats from eating it and getting stuck in there all day.

Up until 5 years ago the local County animal control used to loan free Have-a-Hart traps. Then you just brought the trap with the animal to the control people. Now they tell you that you have to spend $200 to $300+ and hire a "professional" exterminator to deal with them. Have-A-Hart traps sell for $50 at Cabela's or Bass Pro.

I usually find a drainage ditch and culvert with water so they at least have a running start at survival and to discourage them from using their home grown GPS to find their way back just to piss me off.

But I also carry a Ruger Bearcat .22 with me when I take them out to the boonies, in case they decide to try and take a bite out of me when I open the trap for them on their way to their new found freedom. Never had an issue with letting the Raccoons go but some possums are really mean and hiss and snap at you when you pick the trap up to put it in the car. Haven't had to shoot any yet, but being prepared to avoid that series of rabies shots seems like the prudent choice.

It never even occurred to me to try and shoot them while they are in the Have-A-Hart. Way too much steel to spatter a .22 into your legs. OTOH I have spray painted some of their asses bright orange a few times, to make sure I wasn't just giving one raccoon free rides in the country again and again.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 03:58 PM

17. Glad that didn't happen to the last caged raccoon I shot.

which was the first caged raccoon I ever shot. I thought I was doing a good thing catching the thing alive just out past my steps, but when I went to pick it up and carry it off It almost scratched my leg off, and mad some really mean sounds. I just went and got the MKII 22 and shot him. Game over.... Of course I did have the smarts to put the barrel past the wire in the cage.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 08:50 PM

19. Criminal raccoons.

Mon Feb 27, 2012, 10:33 PM

20. Locking

Okay, we all had a chuckle, but it's probably more of a Weird News story.

Regards,
Krispos42, Gungeon Host