HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Ohio Supreme Court sends...

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 03:34 PM

Ohio Supreme Court sends Castle Doctrine case of Carl Kozlosky back to trial court

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/02/ohio_supreme_court_sends_castl.html

Ohio Supreme Court sends Castle Doctrine case of Carl Kozlosky back to trial court

Published: Thursday, February 02, 2012, 5:40 AM

Pat Galbincea, The Plain Dealer

The Ohio Supreme Court declined Wednesday to hear the case of a 55-year-old Cleveland homeowner convicted in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court last year of killing an intruder.

When the 8th Ohio District Court of Appeals threw out the conviction of Carl Kozlosky and ordered a new trial, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason appealed the decision. The Ohio Supreme Court's decision Wednesday returns the case to Common Pleas Court.

Kozlosky was sentenced last year to 18 years to life in prison for the shooting death of Andre Coleman on Sept. 20, 2009. Coleman broke into Kozlosky's house and began beating up Valerie McNaughton, who was Coleman's girlfriend...

...Coleman, who had previously been convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 1997, had been on an all-night crack binge, according to court testimony, when he broke down the back door of Kozlosky's Cherokee Avenue home to get money or drugs from McNaughton...

4 replies, 1174 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ohio Supreme Court sends Castle Doctrine case of Carl Kozlosky back to trial court (Original post)
friendly_iconoclast Feb 2012 OP
SteveW Feb 2012 #1
ileus Feb 2012 #2
ManiacJoe Feb 2012 #3
ProgressiveProfessor Feb 2012 #4

Response to friendly_iconoclast (Original post)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 03:45 PM

1. I'm not sure what the allegation the home-invader was going for a gun has to do with it...

since the deceased had BROKEN IN and was BEATING UP a woman, presumably weaker and of smaller stature.

"Coleman broke into Kozlosky's house and began beating up Valerie McNaughton, who was Coleman's girlfriend..."

From the information provided in the O.P., I guess the laws in Ohio (before changes) allowed for break-ins and beatings to be carried out without the possibility of deadly force being exercised. I hope that has changed.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 03:59 PM

2. sounds like a lousy castle doctrine...

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 03:59 PM

3. Assuming that the prosecutor has not lost his mind,

-- not a safe assumption based on the multiple related articles -- I would love to see what lead the prosecutor to take this to trial in the first place.

Reply to this post

Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 04:55 PM

4. I have the same question

This would seem a slam dunk castle defense, so what the prosecutor to try the case and the jury to convict?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread