HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Long range target shootin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:42 AM

Long range target shooting and physics

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by krispos42 (a host of the Gun Control & RKBA group).

What a beautiful and challenging undertaking. There is so much to take in and calculate, to shoot accurately. You have to account for the wind speed, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure and elevation, along with your perticular cartridge characteristics( weight of projectile, ballistic coeffecient and velocity). and if ONE of those factors changes you have to recalculate everything to get that perfect shot. Velocity of the bullet always slows after it leaves the barrel(obviously), which causes the biggest variation-goes slower, drops faster- with given atmospheric conditions there may be a 4 inch drop from 100 to 200 yards then a 15 inch drop from 200 to 300 yards. Of course you have to do less math if you are happy with just hitting the broad side of a barn, but if you are trying to put 3, 5 or 10 shots into a 1/2 minute of angle bullseye then it's physics applied over vast distances. You want to have the least amount of body movement from shot to shot and you want to fire the rounds before any of the conditions change. Bolt guns and good semi autos are best. Just hope my AR doesnt get taken away, it's one of the most accurate I've handled.

3 replies, 1038 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Long range target shooting and physics (Original post)
markgee Feb 2013 OP
Webster Green Feb 2013 #1
jmg257 Feb 2013 #2
krispos42 Feb 2013 #3

Response to markgee (Original post)

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 01:58 AM

1. Absolutely beautiful.

I'm getting all teary eyed.

So touching.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 08:44 AM

2. Sounds like you have handled quite a few. Nice hobby, but Careful..you'll go blind.

Sat Feb 23, 2013, 09:10 AM

3. Locking

Sporting and recreational discussions about guns belong in Outdoor Life Group, and that includes long-range target shooting.

Regards,
Krispos42, Group Host