HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Houston Group Giving Away...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:50 PM

Houston Group Giving Away Shotguns in High-Crime Neighborhoods to Test if Crime is Reduced

HOUSTON (CBS HOUSTON) – A University of Houston graduate student says he’s conducting a study to hopefully answer the question being asked across the country, “Do more guns reduce crime or not?”

Kyle Coplen, who founded the Armed Citizens Project, is giving away 20-gauge single-shot shotguns to residents in mid- and high-crime neighborhoods to test whether or not the weapon will help reduce crime in the area, according to the group’s website. Coplen says the weapons are not of much value to criminals, but are especially useful for citizens looking to protect themselves from criminals.

“Gun-control advocates often argue that an increase in guns in an area will lead to an increase in crime, while gun-rights advocates often believe that fewer guns result in more crime. While both sides often argue that their opponents policies will result in more crime, gun-control proponents have largely been the victors when it comes to policy implementation,” the website explains. “Pro-gun activists have largely been content to simply fend off new potential gun control laws. It is my opinion that gun-rights activists must take the offensive, and actively encourage the increased presence of defensive weapons in society. Both sides believe that their policies will result in less crime, and it is about time that our side begins to act with the conviction and courage that it will take to win the debate.”

However, the unique experiment has specific criteria for determining who can receive the weapons from the Armed Citizens Project.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/20/houston-group-giving-away-shotguns-high-crime-neighborhoods-to-test-if-crime-is-reduced/

Is what he's doing even legal?

I hope that someone sues the hell out of him to that stupid and pointless project which does nothing but increase the amount of worthless guns in society because of a nonsensical and impractical constitutional amendment.

9 replies, 1262 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Houston Group Giving Away Shotguns in High-Crime Neighborhoods to Test if Crime is Reduced (Original post)
rachel1 Feb 2013 OP
iiibbb Feb 2013 #1
GreenStormCloud Feb 2013 #3
GreenStormCloud Feb 2013 #2
gejohnston Feb 2013 #4
ileus Feb 2013 #5
oneshooter Feb 2013 #8
slackmaster Feb 2013 #6
Common Sense Party Feb 2013 #7
ManiacJoe Feb 2013 #9

Response to rachel1 (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:08 PM

1. Easy money

All you have to do is shoot yourself or someone in your family and you sue the pants off of University of Houston, and whoever is funding the research.

Holy crap...

I'm sort of interested if this doesn't constitute human experimentation... I wonder if they've filed the right paperwork for that as well.

I think the reasons for owning a gun are fairly personal. Almost to the point that for lack of conclusive evidence it's irrelevant whether they reduce crime or not. Statistics are relevant to populations, not individuals. Try telling the person being struck by lightning that the odds of that happening are astronomical.... or lottery winners.

You make the best choice you can and move on.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to iiibbb (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:13 PM

3. Lawsuit wouldn't work.

A few years ago Texas had tort reform. Since the person who gets the gun has to ask for it and complete a course for it I doubt that a suit will be successful. He isn't forcing the gun on anybody.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:10 PM

2. Yes, completely legal.

An interesting study, but I would hate to face a burglar with only one shot. Still, one shot is better than no shots.

I wonder where he is getting the money for this study.

Reply to this post

Response to GreenStormCloud (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:14 PM

4. it would be ironic if he got it from the Joyce Foundation

but something tells me it might be connected to John Lott.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM

5. Nice to see someone giving back to our communities...

especially personal safety devices like these. Sure it's a single shot and only a 20ga but it beats nothing.

Hope his research nets some positive results...

Reply to this post

Response to ileus (Reply #5)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:18 PM

8. I doubt if a goblin could tell the difference

between a hit with a 20 and a hit with a 12.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:23 PM

6. At least he's not conducting this controversial research in decent neighborhoods

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:08 PM

7. VP Biden is 100% behind this program, I imagine.

Single shot, though? That doesn't seem all that helpful.

Reply to this post

Response to Common Sense Party (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:42 PM

9. Single-shot is better than nothing.

How much better might be open for debate....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread