HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » The gunman, Pikerson Ment...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:37 PM

The gunman, Pikerson Mentor, 31, was sentenced last month to life plus 42 years.

Florida hit by "tsunami" of tax identity fraud
By David Adams | Reuters

MIAMI (Reuters) - Bruce Parton was only a few weeks from retirement after 30 years as a mail carrier in sunny Florida.

He never lived to fulfill his retirement plan of moving back to a quiet life in the Catskill mountains of New York, not far from where he grew up on Long Island.

Instead, he was gunned down on his daily mail route in December 2010 by members of an identity theft ring who stole his master key as part of a scheme to claim fraudulent tax refunds.

Using stolen names and Social Security numbers, criminals are filing phony electronic tax forms to claim refunds, exploiting a slow-moving federal bureaucracy to collect the money before victims, or the Internal Revenue Service, discover the fraud.

Parton was a victim of what officials say has ballooned into a massive, and dangerous, illegal industry that could cost the nation $21 billion over the next five years, according to the U.S. Treasury Department.

more at link:
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-hit-tsunami-tax-identity-fraud-122604383--finance.html

7 replies, 1480 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The gunman, Pikerson Mentor, 31, was sentenced last month to life plus 42 years. (Original post)
Tuesday Afternoon Feb 2013 OP
dkf Feb 2013 #1
Tuesday Afternoon Feb 2013 #2
dkf Feb 2013 #3
gejohnston Feb 2013 #4
holdencaufield Feb 2013 #5
Tuesday Afternoon Feb 2013 #6
ileus Feb 2013 #7

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Original post)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:48 PM

1. And so we should ban guns because that would make it impossible for a band of thugs to get one?

Or are you thinking the postman should have had a gun?

I don't know where you are coming from.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dkf (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:51 PM

2. I am just posting news. Where are you coming from?

Reply to this post

Response to Tuesday Afternoon (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 12:54 PM

3. I'm just curious because I don't think gun control would have helped much here.

Personally I think anything effective would be a complete violation of a number of rights...

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 01:14 PM

4. some did until Nixon turned the PO to

the semi corporate USPS. There used to be a postal regulation requiring it. Of course, that was when people mailed cash to pay bills and ordered stuff COD.
http://journals.democraticunderground.com/one-eyed%20fat%20man/35
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/firearms-ordnance/us-post-office-revolver-manual-5310/

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 04:56 PM

5. OK...

... why 42 years? Why not 40 or 45? Do judges do that just to make the math hard and screw with the convicted?

Reply to this post

Response to holdencaufield (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 05:10 PM

6. not sure but, I think it has something to do with the age of the convicted at the time of sentencing

any lawyers in the house?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:22 PM

7. Another good reminder for why I always carry.

Stay safe my friends...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread