HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Topics » Justice & Public Safety » Gun Control & RKBA (Group) » Why You Should Shop Starb...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:35 PM

Why You Should Shop Starbucks on Valentine's Day

Starbucks' "Pro-Gun" Policy Prompts Gun Victims' Advocate Group to Launch Nationwide Boycott on Valentine's Day 2012

CHICAGO, Jan. 23, 2012 -- /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A nationwide boycott of Starbucks stores and its products will be launched on Valentine's Day 2012. Its goal is to eliminate the risk of guns in public places and ultimately to bring sane gun laws to the U.S.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/23/4208271/starbucks-pro-gun-policy-prompts.html#storylink=cpy

I never buy Starbucks, but I'll be sure to stop by on Valentine's Day.

85 replies, 8768 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 85 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why You Should Shop Starbucks on Valentine's Day (Original post)
TPaine7 Jan 2012 OP
spin Jan 2012 #1
iverglas Jan 2012 #21
hack89 Jan 2012 #31
iverglas Jan 2012 #32
hack89 Jan 2012 #33
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #65
SteveW Jan 2012 #2
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #3
YllwFvr Feb 2012 #58
Simo 1939_1940 Feb 2012 #60
X_Digger Jan 2012 #4
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #6
burf Jan 2012 #5
Glassunion Jan 2012 #7
PavePusher Jan 2012 #8
X_Digger Jan 2012 #9
friendly_iconoclast Jan 2012 #11
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #66
pipoman Feb 2012 #68
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #71
pipoman Feb 2012 #73
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #75
pipoman Feb 2012 #76
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #79
pipoman Feb 2012 #81
gejohnston Feb 2012 #77
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #80
gejohnston Feb 2012 #82
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #83
Callisto32 Feb 2012 #61
ileus Jan 2012 #10
YllwFvr Jan 2012 #12
Starboard Tack Feb 2012 #67
oneshooter Feb 2012 #70
virginia mountainman Jan 2012 #13
aikoaiko Jan 2012 #14
Union Scribe Jan 2012 #20
Hoyt Jan 2012 #34
aikoaiko Jan 2012 #39
DonP Jan 2012 #46
liberal_biker Jan 2012 #43
krispos42 Jan 2012 #50
Hangingon Jan 2012 #15
hack89 Jan 2012 #16
jeepnstein Jan 2012 #17
ellisonz Jan 2012 #18
rrneck Jan 2012 #19
Paladin Jan 2012 #22
Jean V. Dubois Jan 2012 #23
ellisonz Jan 2012 #45
PavePusher Jan 2012 #24
Spoonman Jan 2012 #25
YllwFvr Feb 2012 #59
X_Digger Jan 2012 #26
Paladin Jan 2012 #27
friendly_iconoclast Jan 2012 #28
X_Digger Jan 2012 #29
friendly_iconoclast Jan 2012 #30
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2012 #35
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #37
X_Digger Jan 2012 #41
AtheistCrusader Feb 2012 #63
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #38
oneshooter Jan 2012 #40
aikoaiko Jan 2012 #42
rl6214 Feb 2012 #57
discntnt_irny_srcsm Jan 2012 #36
PavePusher Jan 2012 #44
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #47
ManiacJoe Jan 2012 #48
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #49
gejohnston Jan 2012 #51
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #54
Glassunion Jan 2012 #52
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #53
benEzra Jan 2012 #55
Simo 1939_1940 Jan 2012 #56
Simo 1939_1940 Feb 2012 #62
Clames Feb 2012 #64
-..__... Feb 2012 #72
Simo 1939_1940 Feb 2012 #78
ileus Feb 2012 #69
Skwid Feb 2012 #74
TPaine7 Feb 2012 #84
Billy Ruffian Feb 2012 #85

Response to TPaine7 (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:38 PM

1. I find it hard to understand why people fear those who legally carry firearms...

I do understand why people fear those who illegally carry firearms and use them for criminal purposes.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to spin (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:31 AM

21. I find it hard to understand why people constantly trivialize

and misrepresent the positions of other people on public policy issues.

If I were to do that, I'd say something like:

I find it hard to understand how anybody can live in such fear that they have to haul a gun with them when they go to a coffee shop.

I don't say that, because I know quite well that fear isn't their issue in most cases; their political values and their social attitudes are much more often the much stronger motivating factor.

People who object to firearms being carried in public spaces have different values and different attitudes.

But it's always amusing to see the lengths some will go to, repeatedly, to try to mask those facts.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #21)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:34 PM

31. But if gun owners "different values and different attitudes" don't represent a direct threat

to those who object to public carry of fire arms, what's the big deal?

There's plenty of hand waving and hurt feelings but at the end of the day it boils down to peoples fear. And we don't restrict constitutional rights to salve someones feelings.

Reply to this post

Response to hack89 (Reply #31)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:35 PM

32. at the end of the day it boils down to

more misrepresentation.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #32)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:42 PM

33. I agree that there is misrepresentation on both sides

pretty common with any emotional issue.

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #21)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 03:40 AM

65. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 06:44 PM

2. Wow! So they have a membership of 14,000,000??....

From the link:

"This boycott is being called by the National Gun Victim's Action Council (NGAC), a network of 14 million gun victims..."

Next time I want to start a "movement," I'll grab my membership list from the NYC phone book.

As I understand Starbuck's policy, they chose to follow state law, and expect their customers to do the same. I'll have my coffee (I prefer tea) at Starbucks. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:12 PM

3. Too funny!

This group is clearly unaware at how sh*t like this backfires. Pro-2A citizens will turn out in droves as news of this silliness goes viral in the RKBA community.

Reply to this post

Response to Simo 1939_1940 (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 09:31 AM

58. might backfire on the gun folks too

This is the second time gun owners have responded to a Starbucks boycott. The first time I seem to remember Starbucks announcing they were neutral and refused to take sides. They didnt want a political battle ground in the stores. Just following the law.
Now a few years later its happening again. I've see a few gun forums and they are all wound up to go to Starbucks. Some will open carry. Some will speak to the manager. Customers may feel awkward and mention something or write the company.

I used to OC regularly back when it first happened. I respected that Starbucks wasn't backing my side, but wasn't giving into anti gun fear which is all too easy. So when I went, I concealed, gave them my money, and wrote a letter to the company. I told them I was a frequent shopper and appreciated the neutrality.

I'll do the same this time. I see no reason to speak to the manager about this. They probably wont know or care.

Reply to this post

Response to YllwFvr (Reply #58)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 01:46 PM

60. That it could. (backfire on gun folks)

Of course I don't know how every group of OC'ers are comporting themselves, but reading what (mostly right wing) members on gun forums are saying I don't see it happening. In these forums, composure and restraint is being suggested fairly regularly.

I guess what I should have added is that the RKBA community is not just going to be showing up in droves, but spending heavily.

(And see my final post in this thread re. pulling Starbucks into the fray.)

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:27 PM

4. I'll be there..

I don't drink coffee, but I'm sure some tea would be good that day

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:49 PM

6. I typically stay away from rich foods, but on that day

I'll be ordering two servings of coffee cake to go with my large coffee.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:44 PM

5. I'll have to pick some up for home brewing.

We haven't got one in the surrounding six or eight zip codes. So far out in the sticks we're still burning yesterdays sunshine.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:59 PM

7. That article was so full of stink

I threw up in my mouth.

I'd rather toe-kick myself in the genitals with enough force to put one through the uprights at 65 yards than read it again. I'd rather chew on aluminum foil than to even think of it. I'd rather exfoliate with a steel brush and swim in lime juice while listening to the Westboro Church sing their interpretation of the Beatles "Hey Jude". I'd rather pour a mixture of alcohol gel and Ben Gay in my hair, light it on fire and try to put it out with a tack hammer.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:40 PM

8. You're far to diplomatic, my dear fellow.

Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC, is a lying fuckwad shit-nozzle.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:59 PM

9. Yeah, that has to be one of the most moronic pieces I've ever read..

"Starbucks allowing guns to be carried in thousands of their stores significantly increases everyone's risk of being a victim of gun violence," says Elliot Fineman, CEO of the NGAC. "Open and conceal and carry are among the reasons there are 12,000 gun homicides each year in the U.S. If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry."

I'm gobsmacked with the lack of logic.

If a poster here said that, they'd be laughed off DU.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:25 AM

11. Wait, it gets better:

IMPACT OF STARBUCKS BOYCOTT: Fineman says, "Starbucks steadfast support of the NRA's lethal pro-gun agenda damages its 'socially conscious company' brand. Further," adds Fineman, "Monte Carlo Simulation risk analysis indicates that 90% of the time, our boycott will reduce Starbucks stock price by an amount no rational company would allow."

IOW: "We're going to try what the Brady Campaign already failed at, but fully expect better results"

I'm going to get a couple pounds of Blonde Roast to try at home, myself...

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 03:50 AM

66. Why would they be laughed at?

Maybe you'd like to point out any factual errors in the following
"If we had England's gun laws we would expect 375 gun homicides each year—97% less than we have. England's gun laws are based on protecting public safety, ours on maximizing sales for the gun industry."

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #66)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:53 AM

68. England's gun restrictions resulted

in no distinguishable murder or violence reduction. Further the 'gun homicide' distinction over, say, a distinction of simply 'homicide', is so completely disingenuous it's laughable.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #68)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:50 PM

71. Laughable? Really? Glad you think it's funny.

The major restrictions were already in place. What is disingenuous about the "gun homicide" distinction. That's the focus of this group "guns".
The US has 4-5 times the per capita homicide rate of the UK.

In the UK (population c. 60.5m) there were 765 reported incidents of murder for 2005-6 (Home Office, undated) – a rate of about 1.1 per 100,000.

In the US (population c. 298.5m) there were an estimated 16,137 homicides in 2004 (FBI, 2006a) – a rate of about 5.4 per 100,000. Of these, 10,654 were carried out with guns (FBI, 2006b).

http://fleshisgrass.wordpress.com/2007/04/17/us-and-uk-murder-rate-and-weapon/

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #71)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 03:57 PM

73. And always has

even when the UK had very similar firearms laws. There was no reduction in homicide, crime or violence attributable to their firearms restrictions.

The US has 4-5 times the per capita homicide rate of the UK.

Couldn't have anything to do with ethnic mix, economics, availability of health care, availability of mental health services, income disparity, etc.? Nooo, couldn't be anything like that, it is inanimate objects which cast a violent spell on anyone in their vicinity, that's it..

Gun controlers always want to talk about "gun violence" and "gun homicide" to the exclusion of actual violence and homicide. If "gun homicide" rates decline, yet homicide rates remain exactly the same, the controllers decry victory...it is a ridiculous joke, and a numbers game for fools.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #73)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 05:51 PM

75. Let me get this straight.

Are you actually saying that you think the homicide rate here would not change, should we adopt UK type legislation? All those 10,000+ gun homicides would still happen by other means?

Apparently, the UK has more per/capita violent crime than the US. So, by your logic, there would be a drastic reduction in homicides here. The big difference is that the Brits don't have the option of detached, impersonal violence. It's much harder to stab or pummel someone to death than shoot them. Has nothing to do with ethnic mix, economics or health care. Those are red herrings. It has to do with public safety trumping individual "right" to carry a gun around and the insanity of a gun loving society. Period.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #75)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:15 PM

76. Yet you provide no stats

to prove that the UK or Canada or Australia or any other country which has enacted gun bans has had a reduction of violent crime or homicide?? Why? Because there were no reductions.

Why not just be honest? The truth is you don't care if I own and shoot because that is what I like to do. Or that I carry (even though I don't) because I might live in a dangerous neighborhood, have a spouse or other person who is or has threatened me..it just don't matter to you. You simply don't like guns and it isn't enough to simply not own them yourself, you don't want anyone else to own them either. I understand. I have no use for private swimming pools, think they should either be outlawed or at least extremely heavily regulated, afterall they kill 10 times more kids 0-14 than guns do. I think youth sports is idiotic, especially contact sports, football kills twice as many kids as guns do. I think motorcycles, especially dirt bikes and ATVs are for complete fools, they kill scores more kids than guns. Don't even get me started on vicious dog breeds or exotic pe(s)ts, I, though, am satisfied to simply not take part in those activities.

No chance that the UKs violent crime rate is higher because the weaker in society have little or no option to defend themselves with anything which doesn't require brute strength? And I have no idea what you are looking at then gleaning nonsensical conclusions as to my intents or beliefs.

Oh, and to not believe there are at least 10 socio-economic reasons for violent crime and homicide is simply not understanding the problem. Are you actually saying you believe the 10k "gun homicides" would vanish without guns? How naive.

Reply to this post

Response to pipoman (Reply #76)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:45 PM

79. What other stats do you need?

The gun ban in the UK didn't change the equation much, because it was meant to filter out the few remaining nutters who went out on shooting sprees, which fucked things up for everyone else. Firearms legislation was already very strict. Very few people owned handguns and nobody carried, thankfully.
You are completely wrong about how I feel about guns. I grew up with guns and enjoyed hunting and sport shooting. I do not support public carry and never have. The practice is pure madness in an urban environment, as is demonstrated by the stats. Dangerous neighborhoods don't become safer by introducing more guns. I share your dislike for contact sports, ATVs etc. and also choose not to participate. Swimming pools should be heavily regulated to protect children.
I support gun ownership, though I do believe that by eliminating handguns, gun homicides would be reduced considerably.
There is a mentality in this country that believes handguns are effective problem solving tools and I guess they are, in a very draconian sense.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #79)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 08:43 PM

81. How much more draconian can it get than this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wichita_Massacre

Two miles from my house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

Came to my house at least 3 times, returned my dog one of the times.

We differ in opinion in believing that if we act evolved so will everyone else. There are, in my world, draconian monsters. I really doubt I'll ever be the attempted victim of one of these neanderthals, and if I am that I'll know until it's too late. But if the odds fall on me, I may have a better chance of defending myself. Very simple. None of the idiots above would have been deterred from their desire to commit violence and murder by an inability to get a hand gun or any gun. Most of the 10k murders are committed by convicted felons in disputes. Occasionally there are innocent victims and even more occasionally a 'mass murder' occurs. The numbers of mass murders and innocent victims of gunfire, are infinitesimal compared to alcohol, negligent driving, and a whole lot of other activities which claims the lives of innocent victims. It's a freedom, it has a price, very blunt, but all freedoms do come with a price. The fact that violence and homicide have been declining every year for 20 years. During that same 20 years concealed carry has come to nearly every state in the union, this speaks volumes to your claims of increased crime because of ccw or even handgun proliferation. The answer to the draconian criminals isn't taking away defensive tools of potential victims

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #75)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:24 PM

77. simple histroy

Even when the UK had lax to no gun laws, there were few shootings and equally low if not lower "gun violence." There were just as many stabbings etc. You are probably old enough to remember those days.
That said, the Brits who do choose to use guns, use machine guns more than here.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #77)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:54 PM

80. When are you talking about?

I don't remember any "lax" gun laws and I grew up there. First handgun I ever saw was one handed to me by a little old lady, during my days in the constabulary. It was a luger in mint condition and she had found it under the bed of a lodger who had passed away. This occurred during the mid 60's during an amnesty. We collected thousands of guns and dumped them all in the Irish Sea.

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #80)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:04 PM

82. You are not as old as I thought

Lugers are a work of art, dumping them in the ocean is just uncivilized.

Reply to this post

Response to gejohnston (Reply #82)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:26 PM

83. I know, it was a beautiful gun.

I really wanted to keep it, but resisted the temptation. Not a difficult decision, really.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 01:59 PM

61. Tell us how you really feel.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2012, 09:17 PM

10. I've never had anything starbucks....but I see a first in my future.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 07:13 AM

12. went to starbucks during the brady boycott

Bought some coffee, told them I appreciate they follow local law and don't give in to either group by taking a side.
Also wrote a letter to corporate.

Time to do it again. I know a few dozen others in my area who will be going out of the way to stop in. I doubt Starbucks will be hurting.

Reply to this post

Response to YllwFvr (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 03:54 AM

67. I bet those baristas can't wait.

Oh look Clive, it's those nice guys with guns again. Whoopee!

Reply to this post

Response to Starboard Tack (Reply #67)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 09:11 AM

70. If they are in Texas they can't see them. Concealed carry only.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 08:08 AM

13. Well, as pointed out their 14,000,000 "supporters" make their numbers suspect right off the bat...

I don't drink coffee, so it will be hot chocolate for me. But seeing that Brady's boycott fell flat on its face, another group wants to fail too!

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 09:24 AM

14. Elliot Fineman started this group in 2006 out of his grief of his murdered son.

Fineman is misdirecting his anger at law abiding concealed carriers and a business that allows individual choice to carry in their establishments. His son was killed in a restaurant by a criminal and not someone with a permit to carry a weapon. His grief has made him lash at the people he should really support.

This group is a nonplayer in politics and they are a bunch of asshats.

Here is a good example of their asshattery.

1. Known terrorists who are not allowed to purchase a plane ticket can legally purchase guns, including:
Guns that can bring down a plane landing or taking off.

2. The gun industry is the only industry exempt from Federal regulation. (It used to be tobacco and guns, now it is just guns.)
Guns are not registered.
Gun owners are not licensed.

3. Guns do not have to be insured for the damage they do:
Over the past 20 years, $100 Billion of our tax dollars have been been spent to pay for the costs of gun violence.
If you do not own a gun, why should your tax dollars pay for the cost of gun violence?

4. Criminals and people with mental illness, who cannot legally buy a gun from a gun dealer:
Can go to any gun show and legally buy as many guns as they want.
Can buy them through private sales.

5. Many states have passed laws allowing guns in restaurants, bars, schools, sporting arenas, workplace parking lots, airports and churches. The list keeps growing.

6. Guns can now be carried in National Parks and on Amtrak trains.

7. The NRA is trying to pass laws that:
Allow people with Alzheimers to legally purchase guns.
Allow soldiers diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome to legally purchase guns.
Abolish gun free school zones.

And here is another example (talk about extreme zealotry, non even the NRA says comparable BS):

CAUTION
Whenever you hear ANYTHING about guns that seems appealing, reasonable or factual KNOW IT IS PROBABLY NOT TRUE. For the facts contact us at: info@gunvictimsaction.org

http://gunvictimsaction.org/about-2/overview-of-gun-problem/

Reply to this post

Response to aikoaiko (Reply #14)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:19 AM

20. Wow.

"Whenever you hear ANYTHING about guns that seems appealing, reasonable or factual KNOW IT IS PROBABLY NOT TRUE."

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 04:45 PM

34. Not quite -- a paranoid schizophrenic who got gun LEGALLY. Happens every day because of gun culture.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #34)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 09:04 PM

39. Quite. If people did more to help treat mental illness instead of ranting againt gun culture...

...two lives could have been saved.

Reply to this post

Response to aikoaiko (Reply #39)

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 04:29 PM

46. In the end those people really do nothing about either issue

Sadly, all they do is rant online and sit home wrapped in a thick coat of smug about how "witty" they are polishing their machete, while the rest of us enjoy our chosen sport or hobby.

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #34)

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 09:19 AM

43. Not because of a gun culture...

...but because of laws which protect all of us.

Just because someone has been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic does not mean he is automatically a danger to himself or others. If he has not been legally adjudicated insane, then there is no way to legally prevent a sale.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 05:11 PM

50. That's major ass-hattery, all right

1. Known terrorists who are not allowed to purchase a plane ticket can legally purchase guns, including:
Guns that can bring down a plane landing or taking off.

2. The gun industry is the only industry exempt from Federal regulation. (It used to be tobacco and guns, now it is just guns.) So why can't I buy a new full-auto rifle or a 10" barreled shotgun? Oh, yeah... federal regulation
Guns are not registered. Not by the federal government per se, but by some state and local governments. Plus when you buy a gun, the serial number is on the ATF form for the background checks.
Gun owners are not licensed. Not by the feds, but by some states and local governments. Except for 4 states, you need a permit to carry concealed.

3. Guns do not have to be insured for the damage they do:
Over the past 20 years, $100 Billion of our tax dollars have been been spent to pay for the costs of gun violence.Guns don't weigh 3,000 pounds and travel down the highway at 70mph. That might be a reason. Another reason is that if one of my guns is misused, it's going to be because it was stolen. So I should have insurance on my gun to protect me in case somebody else steals it and uses it to commit a crime? How many years should I have to buy that insurance after my gun is stolen???
If you do not own a gun, why should your tax dollars pay for the cost of gun violence?I don't snowboard... why should my tax dollars... etc., etc., etc. *yawn*

4. Criminals and people with mental illness, who cannot legally buy a gun from a gun dealer:
Can go to any gun show and legally buy as many guns as they want.If they can't buy legally from a dealer, they can't buy legally. Period.
Can buy them through private sales.Ibid.

5. Many states have passed laws allowing guns in restaurants, bars, schools, sporting arenas, workplace parking lots, airports and churches. The list keeps growing.And gun violence and the homicide rate continues to drop. Imagine that.

6. Guns can now be carried in National Parks and on Amtrak trains.Guns can be carried in National Parks, pursuant to the laws of the state that the Park (or part thereof) is in. Guns can be shipped on Amtrak trains as checked luggage.

7. The NRA is trying to pass laws that:
Allow people with Alzheimers to legally purchase guns. The burden of proof is on the Government to prove a person has a disqualifying illness, not the reverse
Allow soldiers diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome to legally purchase guns.Ibid
Abolish gun free school zones. Because this has worked so well at stopping school shootings?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:44 AM

15. Pro 2A

Nearest Starbucks is 30 miles away. I'll be there.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:38 PM

16. "Starbucks supports gay marriage legislation"

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:02 PM

17. If they'd boycott drug dealers it would be far more effective.

The distribution and sale of illegal street drugs is the root of most of the violence we see in the U.S. with regard to guns. Just like when we tried to ban alcohol during Prohibition. If the victim's advocates would boycott their dealer then that would be a real statement.

Drug dealers can't take their business disputes to court, so they settle it as best they can given the nature of their trade. There's lots of money to be made from illegal drug sales. That's the problem, not what rifle I may or may not choose to own. Or what object I may or may not choose to conceal in my clothing.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:23 PM

18. Those toters will be ready when someone tries to rob the Starbucks...

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:38 PM

19. Added to calendar. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:56 AM

22. I've Got A Better Idea.

Instead of showing up at Starbuck's, why don't you RKBA militants stay at home and practice being responsible, non-confrontational gun owners? It's pretty obvious that a lot of you need the experience. And aren't you claiming in another thread that gun control is an issue that no longer has a following? Is all this triumphalist strutting and spewing of yours just a front, masking the hysterical paranoia that has propelled your movement for decades? ("Obama's gonna take away our guns, because he's NOT trying to take them away!") Jesus, you folks are entertaining.....

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #22)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:06 AM

23. Let's assume that a thousand "RKBA militants" show up at Starbucks on Valentine's Day.

Moreover, let's estimate the total number of "RKBA militants" at 5 million (that's the approximate membership of the NRA).

This would mean that 99.98% of these "militants" are doing to do exactly what you've just asked them to do....so you get what you want! Congratulations!

Reply to this post

Response to Jean V. Dubois (Reply #23)

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 04:25 PM

45. This poster is no longer with us. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

24. Who's being "confrontational"?

Is buying a cup of coffee now "confrontational"?

Demonizing the people you hate and fear... I hear that's a winning tactic... somewhere.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:21 AM

25. No you didn't........................

Instead of showing up at Starbuck's, why don't you RKBA militants stay at home and practice being responsible, non-confrontational gun owners?

Isn’t that pretty much the same mentality of the FAR RIGHT regarding the OWS movement?

I guess these words mean nothing to you:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I'll be spending a pile of money at Starbucks on Valentines Day.

I may just walk in and buy every person in the store a cup of coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Spoonman (Reply #25)

Fri Feb 3, 2012, 10:10 AM

59. I may just walk in and buy every person in the store a cup of coffee!

And uh... Where is this going to be?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:29 AM

26. The reason we're winning is because we're vigilant.

The fire is almost out, but every time a spark smolders, we're there to stomp it out.

Why should we give up our best tactic? This reminds me of Greta Christina's talk on atheism (ffw to about 34:00) -

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #26)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 01:12 PM

27. Whatever Wins You've Got Are Due To An Obsessive, Single-Issue Political Focus.....

...and the constant assistance of an ugly right-wing, anti-liberal power bloc in this country.

What percentage of your DU posts are gun-related? 90%? 98%? That's not "diligence," it's an unhealthy obsession. Particularly in a site dedicated to Democratic Party principles.....

Reply to this post

Response to Paladin (Reply #27)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 01:40 PM

28. "An Obsessive, Single-Issue Political Focus." - like Elliot Fineman's?

I'd also remind the reader that you lot depend on "the constant assistance" of Mayor 1%, Michael Bloomberg and his allies at the Republican-led Brady Campaign.

Not only that, we've had support expressed for the Patriot Act by at least one person on your side of this issue:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/11721786#post117

And last, but not least: the 180 on the "ugly right-wing, anti-liberal" so-called terror watch lists when guns were added:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=3031131#3032492

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php/www/:/www.youtube.com/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=431371&mesg_id=431380

Mote, meet beam...

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:01 PM

29. I'd say 75%

But DU is only one site, not the center of the universe.

I daresay I've done more, in more campaigns, in more states to support our party than you have. I was in a union picket line before I could stand. I handed out buttons and fliers when I was ten. I've worked on four different campaigns for representatives in Virginia (3 delegates, one senate). I was the co-chair of the Young Democrats at the Clinch Valley College of the University of Virginia for three years. I registered at least a hundred dem college students to vote during that time.

In Tennessee, I was assistant to the secretary of the democratic party of knox county for a year. Between 1993 and 1996, I can't count the hours I spent canvassing for candidates, ferrying people to polls, helping register poor and minority voters, and lobbying for democratic measures in the city council- whether it was additional funding for city facilities, decrying racist policies of the KPD, or helping raise support for a new bond initiative to support the emporium (performing arts center).

In 2008, I put 650 miles on my wife's car ferrying mostly elderly and poor voters to the polls- from the time early voting started all the way through the day of the election. I phone banked and stuffed envelopes for Bill White in 2010, as well as putting another 400 miles on our vehicles. I *still* hear from a few of those elderly voters when they need help (the most recent was a korean war vet who needed a ride to the VA center in Arlington.)

What have *you* done for the party, Paladin?

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #29)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:14 PM

30. Hell, at 16 I was handing out copies of Jimmy Carter's autobiography for his campaign.

I also was protesting against Newt Gingrich with ADAPT (http://www.adapt.org) when one poster here was at still home watching Zoom reruns.
I'm also an SEIU member.

Yeah, we're really right-wing and anti-liberal, we are...

<Sarcasm mode to "OFF">

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 07:11 PM

35. re: "...An Obsessive, Single-Issue Political Focus..."

Absolutely! The focus you mention is called 'freedom'. I can think of few more important nor more noble political pursuits.

Sorry we bothered you.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 07:27 PM

37. "What percentage of your DU posts are gun-related? 90%? 98%? That's not "diligence,"

It's an unhealthy obsession."

It's been explained multiple times why many of us post primarily in the Guns Forum.

1) We believe that gun restriction policy is the one issue that the Democratic Party is very wrong about, and......

2) There are very serious political consequences for our horrible decisions in this area.

If you want to tar me as an "obsessive" for focusing on what I believe to be the single-most damaging issue affecting the Democratic Party, then tar away. I'll wear the label proudly.

Finally, what sort of "liberal" is obsessed about who posts where and how often?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 12:15 AM

41. Where's Paladin, anyone seen him? n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 13, 2012, 07:06 PM

63. I don't know about you, but I tend not to preach to the choir.

So I don't post much in the other sub-folders, because I have nothing to add to the conversation.

I post here, because we could get a lot more mileage out of some swing voters, if we'd just drop this horseshit from the party platform.

Reply to this post

Response to X_Digger (Reply #26)

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 07:37 PM

38. Great talk.

Lots of parallels with the gun restriction movement - and as you mentioned, the strategic significance of vigilance.

If I may rework the line that drew strong applause toward the end of Greta's talk:

Pro-RKBA Democrats aren't angry because there's something wrong with us. We're angry because there's something right with us.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:38 PM

40. I "practice being responsible, non-confrontational gun owner

every day. And I carry concealed every day. No problems.

Oneshooter
Armed and Livin in texas

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 08:54 AM

42. Your post is more confrontational than simply carrying a firearm lawfully.

Exercising a protected civil liberty is not being confrontational.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 1, 2012, 01:14 AM

57. I've got a better idea

Why don't you anti-gun zealots quit your whining and bitching and just give it up since all any of you can do is sit at home and get on the internet to complain about how morally superior you are but do nothing to try to get anything done about illegal gun violence.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 26, 2012, 07:15 PM

36. On Valentine's Day...

...I'll be flying. I'll be sure to buy a coffee at both ends and probably a bag of beans to go.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 27, 2012, 04:16 PM

44. "NW gun rights activists ‘Coffee up’ as Starbucks posts profits"

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/nw-gun-rights-activists-coffee-up-as-starbucks-posts-profits

"Earlier this week, this column noted yet another attempt by gun prohibitionists will be launched to bully Starbucks into refusing service to legally armed customers, and yesterday, the Seattle Times reported that the Seattle-based coffee giant has posted yet another profits gain.

Starbucks' profit climbed 10 percent to $382.1 million for the first quarter ended Jan. 1, on revenue that grew 16 percent to $3.4 billion, the Seattle-based coffee chain said Thursday.

It added 241 new stores during the quarter, its biggest quarterly growth since the summer of 2008.

The consumer products division, which sells everything from bottled Frappuccino to Starbucks' new single-portion packs for Keurig coffee machines, saw a 72 percent boost in revenue to $335.8 million.—Seattle Times
"

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 28, 2012, 10:30 PM

47. Some members of the "buycott" are suggesting tipping/spending with 2 dollar bills.*

I think it's a great idea.

*symbolic of Amendment 2

Reply to this post

Response to Simo 1939_1940 (Reply #47)

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 02:55 PM

48. Cool idea, but...

... when was the last time anyone saw a $2 bill?

Reply to this post

Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #48)

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 03:53 PM

49. I understand that they can be ordered from banks.

That is, if they're not currently in stock. Might be wrong about that - but I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I try.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:12 PM

51. I did some work for a guy that

paid me in a stack of news twos a few years ago. After not seeing them for years, had them checked out by the local USSS office to see if they were real. They were.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 30, 2012, 03:49 PM

54. Got $40.00 in two dollar bills at my credit union today.

They had them in stock. The branch manager went so far as to select the cleanest ones for me, and explained that when the branch doesn't have them you can order. (10 day wait) She told me that if I wanted more she had roughly another $200 worth.

I believe that there are five Starbucks in my city. On Valentines Day I'll drive to four, putting 4 bucks in each tip jar with a friendly note attached with a web address that supplies the info. on the significance of the two dollar bills (or google instructions) and complimenting the company for their respect for the rule of law. At my nearby neighborhood Starbucks I'll buy merchandise of some sort and a large cup of coffee - paying with the new bills, and of course tipping.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:36 PM

52. I just had a great idea.

Not only should we patronize Starbucks. We should send a dozen roses on Valentine's day.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #52)

Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:55 PM

53. I like it! NT

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 30, 2012, 06:00 PM

55. Yeah, I'll be there.

And to those who are complaining that gun owners are making an effort here to support Starbucks, it wasn't gun owners who dragged Starbucks into this. The company has always been neutral on the gun issue; it was the Brady Campaign (and this year, some miscellaneous offshoot of same) that tried to politicize this.

Reply to this post

Response to benEzra (Reply #55)

Tue Jan 31, 2012, 09:54 PM

56. Unfortunately, some gun owners are dragging Starbucks into this as well:

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 13, 2012, 06:33 PM

62. Bumped as a reminder.

Some RKBA supporters are suggesting buying something today, (Mon.) tomorrow and the day after in order to make a louder statement.

Reply to this post

Response to Simo 1939_1940 (Reply #62)

Mon Feb 13, 2012, 09:36 PM

64. I'll be hitting up Starbucks...

...for lunch tomorrow. Can't think a better way to spend a little of my tax payer provided per diem this week...

Reply to this post

Response to Simo 1939_1940 (Reply #62)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 01:58 PM

72. Pay with $2.00 bills.

Reply to this post

Response to -..__... (Reply #72)

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 06:29 PM

78. Stopped off at all 5 Starbucks in my city today, and yes.....

tipped with 2 dollar bills. Of course that would have meant very little to the baristas, so i clipped them to an index card with a Thank You and a friendly google suggestion to explain the use of the bills. Spent about $40.00 all together.

Starbucks will have done a significantly higher volume of business today as a result of this buycott.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 07:14 AM

69. I'll be dropping by one this morning...

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 04:34 PM

74. Honest to God I have never been in a Starbucks but I'll do the 30 mile drive to buy something and

be sure to let them know why.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 10:38 PM

84. I just left Starbucks

The place was packed.

I told the manager that I was there to fight the boycott. "What boycott," he asked sincerely.

I started to tell him, but he rolled his eyes in recognition as he realized I was talking about the Second Amendment opponents. "It's legal" he said.

He thanked me for my support, and as I left for the adjacent bookstore, I heard him explaining to the younger workers.

Those 14 million members are really taking a toll in my area.

Second Amendment opponents have almost as little power as they deserve.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 14, 2012, 11:04 PM

85. Made my visit

I really don't care for Starbucks coffee, but I made the trip today, and told the gentleman that served me why I was there.
I hope that any impact made by a boycott of NGAC supporters was lost by the support of their opponents.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread